• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Ham   

If that's true then we definitely have something up our sleeves.

The last time Roman wasn't happy with the things that Jose was doing was the summer of 2006/07, and he pulled the financial plug and we ended up getting in Tal Ben Haim, Steve Sidwell and Claudio Pizarro on frees in that key transfer window. Are we seeing a repeat now? Hope I'm not being over dramatic, but with the Pre Season starting we have one free transfer (Falcao) and looks like Begovic replacing Cech.

Khobar   

The last time Roman wasn't happy with the things that Jose was doing was the summer of 2006/07, and he pulled the financial plug and we ended up getting in Tal Ben Haim, Steve Sidwell and Claudio Pizarro on frees in that key transfer window. Are we seeing a repeat now? Hope I'm not being over dramatic, but with the Pre Season starting we have one free transfer (Falcao) and looks like Begovic replacing Cech.

After giving him a contract extension?

After giving him a contract extension?

Didn't they give Jose a contract extension the season before he left, last time around? Pretty sure that they did.

Khobar   

Didn't they give Jose a contract extension the season before he left, last time around? Pretty sure that they did.

Not weeks before he left, as seems to be suggested here. There were more obvious fractions then too.

To be honest, for all the names being chucked about there's not much obvious value in the current market. And what of all the cries for youngsters coming through? All the noise for that disappears when the smell of big transfers approaches. All those who want Bamford to have his chance should be delighted at the opportunity that Costa/Falcao could bring, but not a sound. Mikels leaving? More RLC - wahay. No?

I find the not knowing quite fun.

Not weeks before he left, as seems to be suggested here. There were more obvious fractions then too.

To be honest, for all the names being chucked about there's not much obvious value in the current market. And what of all the cries for youngsters coming through? All the noise for that disappears when the smell of big transfers approaches. All those who want Bamford to have his chance should be delighted at the opportunity that Costa/Falcao could bring, but not a sound. Mikels leaving? More RLC - wahay. No?

I find the not knowing quite fun.

I agree (up to the 'quite fun' bit.....:)).

I don't think that Richard was suggesting that Jose was on his way out next week, just that there may be parallels developing.

'Reports' (yes, I know!) suggest that JM is unhappy/frustrated with the lack of activity so far, and Cech being sold to Arsenal. If this ends up being all the business we do (which I don't believe will be the case), then we could end up with a very thin squad, given the number of confirmed loan-outs to-date.

xCELERYx   

With the quality we're after it makes for an extremely small market to go shopping in. Most, if not all, of the suitable players are already at big established clubs. It leaves us either in the position of trying to entice one of these said players away, which takes time and money, or we search within a wider pool of players but drop a bit of quality and reputation in the process. Which can still be a costly approach depending the club they're already contacted with.

We lack a few extra players in the mould of a Raul Meireles/Tiago Mendes. While they aren't the razzle dazzle names or players with the highest ability, what they give you is solid performances and some reliability. These are the sort of players that are worth their weight in gold. Our first eleven is fairly well covered in all positions if we're to keep the same system, it's those options beyond the first team that are a little hit and miss or too one-dimensional. That's not to say the first team couldn't be improved, it could, but it's not a situation that requires immediate addressing.

While a lack of movement is a little frustrating, it's entirely understandable at this point. What I don't wish to see is the club move into panic stations and make a few rash moves at the death to compensate for a quiet transfer window.

I was possibly being mysterious Pete.

Or perhaps not as clear as I might have been :-)

And you still are LOL!

I agree (up to the 'quite fun' bit.....:)).

I don't think that Richard was suggesting that Jose was on his way out next week, just that there may be parallels developing.

'Reports' (yes, I know!) suggest that JM is unhappy/frustrated with the lack of activity so far, and Cech being sold to Arsenal. If this ends up being all the business we do (which I don't believe will be the case), then we could end up with a very thin squad, given the number of confirmed loan-outs to-date.

Yes. That's all I'm saying. :)