• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Don't see anything on the web about a contract extension having been signed?

Don't see anything on the web about a contract extension having been signed?

There were 'reports' in various newspapers back in May that an extension was about to be signed. Nothing recent, and nothing official.

Kezza   

Not sure why a backup keeper is our biggest signing so far. Why such a quality keeper for backup too. I don't want to see us sideline another good player like we did Cech last season. We are barely gonna use Begovic.

Jay Seal   

Not sure why a backup keeper is our biggest signing so far. Why such a quality keeper for backup too. I don't want to see us sideline another good player like we did Cech last season. We are barely gonna use Begovic.

Because Turnbull.

xCELERYx   

Apparently Milan are in talks to sign Witsel. Speaking of Milan, they've also agreed to loan out El Shaarawy to Monaco w/ obligation to buy him at the end of the season depending if he plays enough games. Even though he's had his injury issues the last couple of seasons and not really recaptured the form that brought him to attention, he'd have been someone I'd have possibly liked the club to look at. He would have been a bit of a gamble but had it paid off, he'd have been an excellent pick up if his form improved and still only 22.

Because Turnbull.

Haha, exactly that!

Guys, just chill out with all the panic, I am yet to see a player move clubs that I wish we had signed, so until/unless that happens I'm not going to be too worried.

The club would be crazy to allow any kind of leaks or anything to develop in the press, clubs around the world know we're in a very good position financially with the new TV package, the huge sponsorship deal and the very successful recent transfer windows we've had (big selling fees for non key players) and so if we allowed hype to build in the press, it just gives the selling club another string to the selling bow and ability to push the price up even more.

The market is not going to be a good one for us this summer, not many available players that could improve us and value just isn't there. That said, I think the club will focus on the positions we need to strengthen and ensure they get the required ability for the best possible value and if they can't, they won't just throw money and a hope and a prayer.

Besides, shouldn't everyone be excited about the lack of signings as it will give a chance to our youth? Or do we want our cake and to eat it? All the big name signings but also giving our youngsters first team opportunities? Feels like the club can't win!

jones   

Haha, exactly that!

Guys, just chill out with all the panic, I am yet to see a player move clubs that I wish we had signed, so until/unless that happens I'm not going to be too worried.

The club would be crazy to allow any kind of leaks or anything to develop in the press, clubs around the world know we're in a very good position financially with the new TV package, the huge sponsorship deal and the very successful recent transfer windows we've had (big selling fees for non key players) and so if we allowed hype to build in the press, it just gives the selling club another string to the selling bow and ability to push the price up even more.

The market is not going to be a good one for us this summer, not many available players that could improve us and value just isn't there. That said, I think the club will focus on the positions we need to strengthen and ensure they get the required ability for the best possible value and if they can't, they won't just throw money and a hope and a prayer.

Besides, shouldn't everyone be excited about the lack of signings as it will give a chance to our youth? Or do we want our cake and to eat it? All the big name signings but also giving our youngsters first team opportunities? Feels like the club can't win!

Best post in here in a while.

I think there are loads of positions we can realistically strengthen in without breaking the bank, for the simple reason that are loads of positions completely unfilled in the squad. Not that I'm moaning at this point, but I don't buy that it's particularly hard for us to make signings that will improve a squad that essentially needs numbers.

Just seen that Atletico have signed Carrasco ... Can't say that I've watched much of him or the Vietto (is that right?) guy they signed a few days ago, but my understanding is that they attacking/wide/second forward types. Is that right? Could they be selling someone soon?

Edited by thevelourfog

Ham   

I think there are loads of positions we can realistically strengthen in without breaking the bank, for the simple reason that are loads of positions completely unfilled in the squad. Not that I'm moaning at this point, but I don't buy that it's particularly hard for us to make signings that will improve a squad that essentially needs numbers.

Just seen that Atletico have signed Carrasco ... Can't say that I've watched much of him or the Vietto (is that right?) guy they signed a few days ago, but my understanding is that they attacking/wide/second forward types. Is that right? Could they be selling someone soon?

Gotta be Griezmann to Chelsea. It's just too quiet around him. Why isn't anyone else sniffing around him? I don't care that he only moved to Atleti last year. Money talks.

Not sure really. Mandzukic and Turan have gone, Jimenez will probably leave on loan. Simeone has suggested a more attacking approach this season as well I believe. So if you think of Martinez/Vietto/Carrasco as their replacements to join Torres and Griezmann it works out. Still have some hope we'll make a big bid for Griezmann though.