• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

chara   

Reference the "youngsters" making it to the first team squad etc..made a point a while back that the standard now is so high that only the very best "make it" at the top clubs...back in the day..finishing probably in the early 90's..will take correction or different opinion on "when".....youth system players made it to the first teams because of a different financial situation..ie less money..see our struggling days for example..and a lower standard in the Prem/First division..many of the players who came through the systems would not get into the top tier now but would be good solid Championship level.

Wonder at the incessant demand for a "top" signing...any signing is a risk but wonder if a Tommy Baldwin will ever be revealed at any club now..make weight signing but one of those 100% players all fans love.."The Sponge"..Jose would have loved him.

Based on what though? It's a genuine question and I'm not having a dig. But if you think none of our youth are ready then what is it based on? Surely you have to have seen them play on a few occasions either on loan elsewhere or in our U21 games .

I can't ever recall you talking about any of our youth players attributes , good or bad, to come to this conclusion.

We can't just say they are not ready dos the club has not played them. That is just taking the easy option to hide behind.

For the current darlings - based on age mostly.

It is one thing for a speedy winger to get a role in a squad. Jogging up and down the wing until the right ball comes along is relatively simple and pace is the key attribute. Finding him with the right ball from CM requires a lot more experience. And Solanke isn't going to get a chance at CF at 17.

The most successful player to come through the ranks in the last 10 years was Bertrand. There was a whole host of younger players that were supposed to come through first. Bertrand was 21 when he made his first sub appearance in the Prem, and 22 before he made his first start. The difference between our kids and say Zouma is that they have been outstanding at youth level, Zouma had been outstanding in la Liga.

No I don't watch youth football. Of those who post here that do watch a lot, it seems that only 2 (Chiswick Blue and Juni) don't predict the breakthrough of one or two each year only to find their expectations end up in Vitesse. It seems that after watching most youth games for 10 or 12 years those two have reached the same conclusion as I have from not watching any - the gap between U21 club football and the Chelsea first team is enormous. It isn't that they (or I) have given up on hope that some of our kids will reach the first team, just that they now recognise how long it might take. Predicting future stars from watching youth or U21 football is a mugs game.

"We can't just say they are not ready dos the club has not played them. That is just taking the easy option to hide behind."

No. Just the opposite. I think if the club thought they were within a year of being ready they would have been given PL minutes before the bookies odds for us winning it had fallen to 1/10.

I think we can trust the club's judgement on this.

Zoowraa   

For the current darlings - based on age mostly.

It is one thing for a speedy winger to get a role in a squad. Jogging up and down the wing until the right ball comes along is relatively simple and pace is the key attribute. Finding him with the right ball from CM requires a lot more experience. And Solanke isn't going to get a chance at CF at 17.

The most successful player to come through the ranks in the last 10 years was Bertrand. There was a whole host of younger players that were supposed to come through first. Bertrand was 21 when he made his first sub appearance in the Prem, and 22 before he made his first start. The difference between our kids and say Zouma is that they have been outstanding at youth level, Zouma had been outstanding in la Liga.

No I don't watch youth football. Of those who post here that do watch a lot, it seems that only 2 (Chiswick Blue and Juni) don't predict the breakthrough of one or two each year only to find their expectations end up in Vitesse. It seems that after watching most youth games for 10 or 12 years those two have reached the same conclusion as I have from not watching any - the gap between U21 club football and the Chelsea first team is enormous. It isn't that they (or I) have given up on hope that some of our kids will reach the first team, just that they now recognise how long it might take. Predicting future stars from watching youth or U21 football is a mugs game.

"We can't just say they are not ready dos the club has not played them. That is just taking the easy option to hide behind."

No. Just the opposite. I think if the club thought they were within a year of being ready they would have been given PL minutes before the bookies odds for us winning it had fallen to 1/10.

I think we can trust the club's judgement on this.

I'm really not sure there is an answer in here. It just seems that you have based this on odds, as cam highlighted, rather than any actual opinion on a specific player. Which was what I expected to be honest.

Zouma came from the french league. Not sure he was "outstanding" and I think he lost his place in his final season there.

I suppose I knew the answer before you answered it.

Edited by Zoowraa

Holymoly   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tIFL2p1fJo

Still no movement yet on a player to improve the squad. All I've seen so far is talk of people to freshen like for like. Maybe a bit spoilt after last year but I really don't want us ending up doing a City this window.

Khobar   

I was referring to prior / when we sign them . These players your not sure about, I'm sure we're seen as positive signings by you at the time.

Nothing wrong with being positive, but the overly positive approach on everything is maybe why your posts attract a lot of unwanted attraction. I think most people know what your post contains before they read it.

More their problem if they choose to react so spectacularly then.

Sky Sports News reporting (Sky Sources) that City have agreed a £49million fee with Liverpool for Sterling.

If that is true, that is an insane amount of money for this player. He's clearly a talented player, and I get the whole home grown thing etc, but still, the best part of £50million for a player who has had one good season in the premier league and that season he was alongside Suarez and a massively in form Sturridge.

Harvz   

Wow. That's insane money for the risk involved. Wonder who Liverpool will piss the 49m down the toilet on this time?

Khobar   

City appear to have blinked first, not sure why they felt the need. Now up to sterling to ram it back down the Scouse media campaigns throats and Rodgers to continue wasting the cash that gets put in his lap. Fun times.