• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Khobar   

Oh dear... another typical bit of lazy regurgitation of the tabloid media bull****

Tell me James, how many of these top clubs and top managers you claimed a few weeks ago were so interested in Sterling actually made an official offer to Liverpool? Via his agent he said even if Liverpool offered £900,000 a week he still wouldn't sign a new contract. He was that desperate to leave Liverpool he said and did things that antagonised the club, former players and supporters. That City have offered him £200,000 a week wages doesn't actually enter into the scheme of things... he wanted out, and City were his only option. That they've paid him so much is a bonus!

But keep believing and regurgitating the tabloid bull**** if you must.

I've spotted James' stalker and claim my £5.

Ham   

Can anyone please explain to me, in a few bullet points, what on earth is going on with FFP? I'm genuinely confused.

What does 'relaxed' mean?

Keep in mind that it's a oilball football-destroyer signing someone from Liverpool. Reported fee is almost certainly greater than what is really being paid, and almost certainly being shared with the press by the selling club.

Sterling will be an interesting media case study at City. How much ire will attract? He'd have been slaughtered left, right and centre by pundits and journalists here and I'd usually expect softer treatment from someone going to a northern club, but Liverpool have really horribly stuck the boot in over the last few months so am less sure this time.

Hilariously, Oliver Holt in the Daily Fail , has already set the ball rolling with an article today trying to take Sterling's side so I immediately thought the deal would be with City and wrapped up imminently.

They're so see through its laughable.

Edited by Mark Kelly

Can anyone please explain to me, in a few bullet points, what on earth is going on with FFP? I'm genuinely confused.

What does 'relaxed' mean?

I looked it up in a dictionary and it said :

Relaxed , e.g. oh **** my old side are getting left behind I'd better relax the rules we made up to stop Chelsea.

Chel_don   

Yeah I have lost understanding of FFP. Thought it was to stop transfers like this occurring. City had issues with it last time now it seems like a joke.

cam4blue   

Depends how you read it. He HAS gone for the money because City have paid the money.

If the theory is that the sole reason he went to City is "for the money", then that isn't really proof of that; any more than "he HAS gone to City to play in the Champions League because City are in the Champions League" is proof of that hypothesis.

There are plenty of reasons a player would rather play for City than Liverpool (money is one, but just one), and I'm going to chip in and add my distaste for the (obviously club orchestrated) media narrative around his departure. It's been a while since this club has felt the need to demonise a departing player in the manner in which teams with "class" like Liverpool and Arsenal choose to do almost every summer.

I will also add my voice to those saying that City are over-paying ridiculously for him and I'm glad that we aren't the ones taking that gamble (which is not me saying that he's a bad player).

Khobar   

If the theory is that the sole reason he went to City is "for the money", then that isn't really proof of that; any more than "he HAS gone to City to play in the Champions League because City are in the Champions League" is proof of that hypothesis.

There are plenty of reasons a player would rather play for City than Liverpool (money is one, but just one), and I'm going to chip in and add my distaste for the (obviously club orchestrated) media narrative around his departure. It's been a while since this club has felt the need to demonise a departing player in the manner in which teams with "class" like Liverpool and Arsenal choose to do almost every summer.

I will also add my voice to those saying that City are over-paying ridiculously for him and I'm glad that we aren't the ones taking that gamble (which is not me saying that he's a bad player).

I don't disagree, it's just that I find it amusing that people here plant their masts so firmly in a camp and decry the other persons point on positions which that can't even hope to know all of the finer points of and then attempt to endlessly push home whatever point they were attempting to make in the first place.

Sterling MAY have wanted 200k per week and got it. He MAY have wanted to win things, which he has more chance of now. He MAY hate Brendan's bullshit - in which case he has more awareness than I gave him credit for and seems least likely.

But, in football today, isn't it all about money? That's the bottom line so in effect Sterling, like all players, has indeed gone for the money.

Sunday night ramble.

Zoowraa   

Depends how you read it. He HAS gone for the money because City have paid the money. No one else felt £50million was a valid punt, City are out of their FFP straight jacket so it's not really any object for them.

As for Sterlings money, I'm sure he'll do very nicely out of it. Never keen on following the press estimates but I imagine £150-200k per week would be fairly commonplace at that transfer fee.

Too much, too soon for a player who hasn't really shown that much. He seems to have a particularly bolshy agent to advise him too, who will no doubt have done well out of this. He needs to get his feet planted firmly on the ground from day one, and you would hope City have people there to do that.

Agree with other posters on the disgusting media campaign led by the club against a bit of a dopey kid. Don't rate him that highly on many levels, but didn't deserve all that.

That is not going for the money though is it. I'm sure he will do nicely out of it, but I'm sure he could earn even more money in Qatar,China as an example. Yet I'm certain he would still go to City ahead of them.

Now whether he would chose City above Barca,Madrid,Chelsea etc then we do not know the answer to that. If he had, then there is at least some credence to saying he has gone for the money.

Your just trying to justify a lazy stupid comment.

By joining a team who has won trophies in recent seasons and them being his only viable option does not qualify as going for the money. Unless we are going to judge everything literally.

He is hardly Asamoah Gyan.

Khobar   

Your just trying to justify a lazy stupid comment.

Not my comment so not really interested in justifying it or otherwise, just trying to work out why one persons uninformed guess is so much worse than someone else's and why in some circumstances it appears to trouble people so much. Nothing to do with football at all really, which is pretty much the direction of places like this go before the season re-starts.

But, in football today, isn't it all about money? That's the bottom line so in effect Sterling, like all players, has indeed gone for the money.

And the correlation between money and points at the end of the season is so strong that going for the money is pretty much the same as going to be in with a chance to win stuff.

Of course they should have known that Sterling was a money grabber when he decided to move to Liverpool from QPR as a 16 year old.

The surprise is that he now wants to win things too. A lot like Cesc Fabregas, another who moved as a 16 year old, but needed to move on for both money and trophies.