• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Of course it is, he is a RB playing left back. Swap sides and it's a different story altogether. Can anyone imagine Ivanovic being one of the best attacking full backs in the league playing at left back?

Erm...Yeah?

Azpilicueta was known as an attacking right back at Marseille. I dare say if he reverted to right back, he would again attack more than he does now.

That he doesn't currently attack much now is down to two things. Firstly being a right back playing left back means that while he's strong defensively he's weaker going forward on the "wrong" foot. Secondly, I believe it's down to the way we play. Ivanovic has long been an outlet for Cech and now Courtois (both left footed), stood near the half way line waiting for the goal kick. Our left back (be it Cole, Bertrand, Azpilicueta or Luis) has always stayed further back. Remember Cole at Arsenal? Always getting forward. Cole for England? Often getting forward. Cole for Chelsea? Rarely getting forward.

Zoowraa   

Azpilicueta was known as an attacking right back at Marseille. I dare say if he reverted to right back, he would again attack more than he does now.

That he doesn't currently attack much now is down to two things. Firstly being a right back playing left back means that while he's strong defensively he's weaker going forward on the "wrong" foot. Secondly, I believe it's down to the way we play. Ivanovic has long been an outlet for Cech and now Courtois (both left footed), stood near the half way line waiting for the goal kick. Our left back (be it Cole, Bertrand, Azpilicueta or Luis) has always stayed further back. Remember Cole at Arsenal? Always getting forward. Cole for England? Often getting forward. Cole for Chelsea? Rarely getting forward.

A key point in here. Ivanovic has a much higher starter position due to being the main outlet from our GK as Bob rightly points out. The aerial threat and fact Ivanovic plays on the right opens itself up to use this outlet favourably, which probably forces our left back to be deeper when compared to the right full back.

I can see both sides to this discussion. I think Azpilicueta would be a much better attacking full back down the right as opposed to the left. The first time I ever seen Azpilicueta play for Marseille was at CL game at home to Inter about 4/5 seasons back, he was a constant threat with strong running from fullback in this match. I made a mental note of remembering his name after this game as he was the best player on the park that night.

Witsel being linked again, Milan quoted as saying they aren't buying him. Probably lazy journalism but there it is, another transfer rumour.

Admit they are getting boring now. Time to actually sign some players.

Funny. Just last summer there was a lot of talk about how Ivanovic isn't offensive enough and how replacing him with Filipe Luis (by switching Dave back to the right) would help our attacking game.

It's all about the set up.
If you let Ivanovic raid + pillage all over the pitch, he's going to do some damage (particularly because he's on our weaker side and gets less attention). But the same goes for any other RB, I'd think. Willian is crucial to this, though. Not having a good target man is also a factor (hence the need to play Ivanovic so high).

I'd be surprised if Dave was any worse than Ivanovic, if given the same freedom to go forward.

Witsel being linked again, Milan quoted as saying they aren't buying him. Probably lazy journalism but there it is, another transfer rumour.

Admit they are getting boring now. Time to actually sign some players.

Some of the rumours claim that RA has even gone to Russia to talk to his good friend Alexander Dyukov directly to sort out the transfer, owner to owner.

I wouldn't put Pedro ahead of Willian, but Willian can actually play in the middle where Oscar plays. So a 3 of Hazard, Willian and Pedro could work.

Witsel would be an absolute fantastic signing. Think it's time for a change for him, having just won the league with Zenit what else is there for him there?

Edited by Alan Conway

What do you people think of Pedro? Would he be first choice here?

My personal opinion is that Oscar, Willian and Pedro will be the main options for accompanying Hazard in the trio behind Costa.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "first choice" as it differs depending on the definition of first choice. But he'd get his fair share of starts I'd imagine.

Then have players such as Moses, Cuadrado and Traore as back-ups to those initial four. Where Fabregas, Rami and (if he stays) Remy can fill in if necessary.

For me the signing of Pedro would settle the attacking midfield but only if Traore is retained.

What do you people think of Pedro? Would he be first choice here?

Not 100% convinced he's the right "fit" for us. He's better than Cuadrado, but I fear he might suffer in the same way as him and Salah. He's a player who prefers space to run into, and most of the time he won't get that. What might help him is that he seems stronger than Cuadrado, and he's closer to Hazard in terms of trickery and close ball control than either Cuadrado or Salah.

Edited by Bob Singleton