• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

BlueFizz   

I once said Josh McEachran was better than Jack Wilshere.

And my father called Didier Drogba the 'new Paul Furlong' in his first season with us.

I once said Josh McEachran was better than Jack Wilshere.

We've all said something like that a few times. I thought the young Droy was a certain England player. And I certainly thought Jody Morris was going to be a bigger star than JT.

The question is can we learn from it.

Jody Morris is now ... ... an U18 coach at Chelsea!!

Probably coaching kids who are now on more than he has ever earnt as a footballer.

just googling around I found this:

Football Dreams: Jody Morris & the Chelsea F.C. Youth Team 1997

a 1 hour documentary on the youth program 1997 - coached by Graham Rix

"As apprentices these young lads earn £35 a week. As a star they could earn £20k."

Fair to say that young players's wages and conditions have gone up a lot lot faster than the stars since then.

Edit - 5 mins in Neil Clement (son of an England player) complains to his Mum that he spent an hour and a half cleaning loos. She says he ought to practice when he comes home.

I'm looking forward to the reaction of his elder brother (already a coach at the club then).

Edited by Droy was my hero

I never rated Moutinho particularly highly until Monaco played Arsenal last season. He won me over in those games, he was fantastic. The problem (for him) would be that he would only play when Fabregas was rested, I can't see them playing together too often.

But... judging from Fabregas' late season drop off, you could easily make an argument that he should be rested more often. He's arguably our best player when on form, and we have nobody to fill that void when he's not in the squad. I'd take Moutinho for sure.

I get that Jose wants a small squad. But you only have to look at the evidence of our performances in the second half of the season - appalling. Yes, we won the title, but for me that was mainly down to the fantastic performances in the first half of the season.

I repeat that I still think we were VERY lucky with injuries, despite Jose using the squad well.

There's just no depth. Of course, you can't replace a player of Eden or Fab's quality with a player of similar skill, I get that. But if Jose doesn't want numbers, then at least replace the useless Mikel and Ramires; and it pains me to say that as I'm a big fan of both, but they've regressed so much and offer nothing. Oscar had better come good this season.

It'll be a shame if Luis goes but I am sure we will get a good replacement.

But the cleaning of loos and boots, plus cleaning and painting the stadium. Is something I feel should of been kept in football. Maybe then we wouldn't have so many ungrateful spoilt brats who are buying ferraris as their first car!

I'm just surprised we're not in the market for bulking up our central midfield as this is generally imperative for success in the CL. Our squad is potent enough to win the PL again at present if we don't suffer key injuries but without that additional midfield power and quality we'll fall short in the CL unless we make up for this deficiency with another creative talent in the mould of and roughly at the level of Hazard and try to win in style (not advised, need that grit).

Curious transfer window so far.

Edited by Chelsea-Till-I-Die

Jay Seal   

I get that Jose wants a small squad. But you only have to look at the evidence of our performances in the second half of the season - appalling. Yes, we won the title, but for me that was mainly down to the fantastic performances in the first half of the season.

We were level on points early in the second half of the season only to pull away to win comfortably.

paulw66   

Appalling in the second of the season. My God, you get worse.

We lost 3 matches all season in all competitions. Yes, 3.

You're right, it was appalling. I am asking for a refund on my season ticket. We lost 3 whole games. I am surprised Jose didn't get sacked.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story, Cam. Tisk tisk ;)

Here are the facts:

Ballack joined, he got the 13 shirt and Gallas was given the number 3 shirt. That's plain and simple fact.

I remember seeing him wearing it in a pre-season friendly or at least on training kit. Certain he was actually given a squad number - he was the one who wanted out, we didn't force him out by denying him a squad number.

Cole arrived and he left and Cole took that number.

That's what happened. I'm not just making this up. If I am mistaken it's a genuine mistake.

Still, at least I am not jumping on someone and taking cheap shots. ;-)

Edited by James Prescott