• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Weird target. Can't say I know much about him, but a little google shows he only joined Gala in Jan 2014. Doesn't appear to contribute much in terms of goals/assists going forward which may suggest he's a more defensive minded fullback- 2.2 tackles, 2.7 interceptions per game.

Not too sure I'd want another defensive minded fullback on the books, a lack of variety and alternative to help stretch the play worries me.

I was just coming on here to ask what was happening with Luis and saw us linked to Telles. Now, I can't say I've seen him play but my Gala supporting mate has mentioned him to me a couple of times and thinks he's great in that he apparently gets up and downer ally well and also knows how to defend, which is kind of all you want from a FB. That said, my mate can be a little prone to using hyperbole when describing Gala players so I cannot tell if this is true or not. As for the transfer, if something like this does happen, I am from now on just going to presume absolutely no one in the press actually knows what we're doing until we do it.

To be honest, I think we wasted his talent.

Rubbish, if Mikel didn't fulfil his potential then that's his fault.

xCELERYx   

I think Matic either has very bad positional sense or he sees himself as a CM who isn't allowed to attack. I agree that he played a long ball, but he has replaced that with 3 short 1-2 passes. Very Mikel like. I actually think that we need Cesc in a deeper playmaker role, as Matic struggles to play possession football. I think Matic's strength is to pick a pass on the counter attack, not when the game is slow.

Mikel was a fantastic central midfield talent, he was a ambitious, powerful playmaker with some neat skill. But then he got moulded into a DM who sat back and kept things simple while the others went forward. To be honest, I think we wasted his talent.

I've talked about this some while back about adopting Cesc into a similar role that Pirlo played for Juve/Milan. It helps cover his lack of athleticism and allows him to dictate the flow of the game and our attacks. The only issue is that it would require a rejig back into a 3 man midfield to get a extra CM into the mix to help prove some extra run, which is where Matic would also be better utilised.

I was just coming on here to ask what was happening with Luis and saw us linked to Telles. Now, I can't say I've seen him play but my Gala supporting mate has mentioned him to me a couple of times and thinks he's great in that he apparently gets up and downer ally well and also knows how to defend, which is kind of all you want from a FB. That said, my mate can be a little prone to using hyperbole when describing Gala players so I cannot tell if this is true or not. As for the transfer, if something like this does happen, I am from now on just going to presume absolutely no one in the press actually knows what we're doing until we do it.

Solid is good, I just am not sure we need another solid fullback that offers little going forward. We've already seen how we can struggle once we're forcing the ball through the middle with a complete lack of width. It's important that we still have players that push forward and keep the spacing so defense's don't collapse the middle and play narrow.

The only reason signing a more reserved fullback makes sense is if we move Azip to RB and Ivanovic ends up spending more time at centre back. Which, may possibly happen over the next year or two, depending if Ivanovic extends his contract and form permits he continues at RB. Otherwise, if we're going to just sign someone for a squad position to rotate, then I'd like a similar replacement to Luis.

Sarin   

Ramires and Willian are very similar

Well that isn't true at all. Apart from the fact that Willian works hard they are very different players and play in very different styles.

Would be like saying Hazard and Salah are very similar players because they like to run with the ball at their feet.

We have become Manu!

Their fans for years (circa 2004 to 2012) complained about lack of transfers, others spending more, others with shiny new toys and sorting out long standing squad issues.

They went on to win like 6 titles in 9 years and a CL.

It is weird being here, with summer stability in management and a settled, very good squad. But I'll take it over the last few years of mad summers and disappointing winters.

But also I hope we sign a LB, Stones, Pedro (just because FU van Gaal) and perhaps a MF.

I think Matic either has very bad positional sense or he sees himself as a CM who isn't allowed to attack. I agree that he played a long ball, but he has replaced that with 3 short 1-2 passes. Very Mikel like. I actually think that we need Cesc in a deeper playmaker role, as Matic struggles to play possession football. I think Matic's strength is to pick a pass on the counter attack, not when the game is slow.

Mikel was a fantastic central midfield talent, he was a ambitious, powerful playmaker with some neat skill. But then he got moulded into a DM who sat back and kept things simple while the others went forward. To be honest, I think we wasted his talent.

Yes the reduction in Matic's game is very similar to that of Mikels in his first few years.

I often wondered aloud if that had been JT's doing, with Mikel getting more on-pitch instruction to calm it down and not take risks than managerial encouragement to play-make. Of course he was a young lad in a mens team. Anelka would drop very deep and demand the ball when he had a mind to. And the short pass forward to SFL or back to JT to play long were always acceptable options.

From 2 years ago, when we were hoping JM might return

I'm most interested about what JM will do with Mikel.

It is widely believed that JM decided to turn Mikel into a DM. But Mikel only ever started 27 games for JM. And Maka started 12 of those games which suggests that Mikel was starting DM for at most 15 games for JM. Many of those being against nondescript opponents.

Like a lot of things Grant did, I suspect he copied JM's system simply because he assumed they must work, rather than because he understood them.

Indeed I reckon that had JM stayed, Mikel would be playing a lot further forward now - more of a Ballack - box and box player - taking up a role where the team needed him most.

Those wishes of mine failed to come true - 6 months later we bought in Matic. But now we are back to square 1. And Cesc (the best midfielder we have had since SFL in his prime) is occupying the role that Mikel might have developed into.

Yes the reduction in Matic's game is very similar to that of Mikels in his first few years.

This.

And as you said in the other thread would be the telling season for Mikel; and I have been arguing that this would be make or break season for Matic.

Willian - Can sometimes turn infield too much, rather than stretching play wide

I like Wilian, but this is the most frustrating thing about watching Chelsea. There were times when I felt like his positioning made it so easy for teams to defend against us because we became so narrow. I think this because Wilian isn't really a natural winger, I recall he played as no. 10 for Shakhtar.

I also think this is why the club identified Cuadrado as a player who could add something, from what I saw of him in the Sunderland game he stayed much wider and consequently our more talented attacking players had more space, not to mention Cuadrado himself looked quite dangerous (I realise he has been poor in every other game).

Juni   

Willian is instructed to play in that manner to allow Ivanovic to be what he is in the attacking third. I would've thought that much has been incredibly obvious for some time now?