• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

haifarul   

I thought Roman wanted Bale at Chelsea?

If we really are relying on Costa to score all the goals, then we might as well give up now!

Go out and buy a proven goal scorer in the premiership, Charlie Austin, will come here for CL football, why are we only interested in defenders when everyone on here can see we need to strengthen in midfield and attack....

Are the board denying Jose the signings he wants?

Maybe the board have been told by Roman to find the money(or at least part of it) for the stadium redevelopment.It wouldnt be unreasonable to use some of the extra income from the new deals for it.Or maybe the board decided to force JM hand when it comes to using more of the squad and some the youth players.Three years ago he said it will be his failure if none of our current crop of English youth dont make it to the national team.It is still plenty of time but his contribution towards this has been miserable,so maybe he needs to bite the bullet.He needs to spread his love and start using the whole squad.Another LB is a certainty and John Stones if Everton play ball.They should have made the move for him before the Sterling saga,I feel the price was only going to go upwards afterwards.The weak links are in midfield,Ramires and Mikel will have to be used more often if we dont want to burn out the first choice players by January.As for the forwards we made our bed so we have to lay in it.All the young forwards are gone on loan now.

Madrid confirmed they turned down two bids for Bale from United for 100m plus.

We were never going to go that high.

Pogba too, moot point.

GURJ SS   

The rumours are Danny Rose for £15M, he would give us another option in terms of going forward, but the defensive side of his game will need to be worked on. Still a lot of money, I would have been more happier if we were linked to Cresswell, as he would likely to be cheaper too.

We won't sign Rose as I reckon the Baba Rahman deal will be done imminently, if Augsburg signing a new left back is anything to go by.

I agree with Cam that if we spend 50 odd million on a back up LB and a young CB then it's hard to argue that the board isn't backing the manager. If Jose wants these players of course haha.

My issue is how the money is being spent, £50 million on Reus/Griezmann could be the spark we need to have a much better chance at the Champions League. Yet there's been more debate about whether we are still title favourites than in any realistic shape to win the CL. Not what I expected at all.

My issue is how the money is being spent, £50 million on Reus/Griezmann could be the spark we need to have a much better chance at the Champions League. Yet there's been more debate about whether we are still title favourites than in any realistic shape to win the CL. Not what I expected at all.

I think this is a good point not only the potential £50m that might be spent bringing in these two but some of our recent transfer activity in general.

Now don't get me wrong some of our transfer dealings over the past few yearsh have been exceptional, especially when you consider our net spend over the past couple of years and the fact that we won the league last year. However if you look at some of the money spent, Cuadrado, Luis, Salah, Van Ginkel, that's the best part of £50/60m plus the likes of Nathan, Atsu and all the other young players we have paid a couple of million plus for just to send out on loan your looking at £70m or more. Add that to the £50m on these two and that's a lot of money that could potentially have been better spent.

I know a lot of people, myself included, feel that we need more numbers not less but let's just say that £100m+ was spent on Pogba and Griezman, or Koke and Reus or any two genuinely world class players and we used some of the youth/loan players to make up the numbers and actually give them a chance, does anyone believe we wouldn't be a better team?

cam4blue   

I'm sure a lot of clubs would like these big marquee names that are being bandied about. Maybe the reason we (and seemingly every other club that would like them) haven't bought them is because they aren't available right now?

There are a line of clubs a mile long who would snap your hand off for a Reus or a Pogba, so maybe the problem isn't "us" or our "ambition".

Sea foot   

I'm sure a lot of clubs would like these big marquee names that are being bandied about. Maybe the reason we (and seemingly every other club that would like them) haven't bought them is because they aren't available right now?

There are a line of clubs a mile long who would snap your hand off for a Reus or a Pogba, so maybe the problem isn't "us" or our "ambition".

Pretty much my view.

We'd come up short the previous season, sold one of our best players and bought Sidwell, Pizarro, Ben Haim (all useless), Malouda instead of Ribery and Belletti instead of Dani Alves. We weakened the first team twice over and bought back-ups who would never be good enough to contribute.

What is comparable to now? All we've done is a one-in, one-out with little drop-off in quality. Meanwhile we're looking at spending a ridiculous amount on a young defender, and a pretty hefty amount on another (the best part of £50m for the pair). I sincerely hope the "not getting backed by the board" nonsense stops if those two transfers go through.

I really hope that doesn't happen. I agree with absolutely everything you said, though.

Madrid confirmed they turned down two bids for Bale from United for 100m plus.

We were never going to go that high.

Pogba too, moot point.

Juve's people have apparently said they can't stop Pogba leaving this summer, if he wants to go. Which means nothing right now, but be prepared for some rumours over the next few days.

(Not that I'd mind Pogba, he's the one player I wouldn't mind spending a fair bit of cash on. He ticks all the boxes, IMO.)

I think this is a good point not only the potential £50m that might be spent bringing in these two but some of our recent transfer activity in general.

Now don't get me wrong some of our transfer dealings over the past few yearsh have been exceptional, especially when you consider our net spend over the past couple of years and the fact that we won the league last year. However if you look at some of the money spent, Cuadrado, Luis, Salah, Van Ginkel, that's the best part of £50/60m plus the likes of Nathan, Atsu and all the other young players we have paid a couple of million plus for just to send out on loan your looking at £70m or more. Add that to the £50m on these two and that's a lot of money that could potentially have been better spent.

I know a lot of people, myself included, feel that we need more numbers not less but let's just say that £100m+ was spent on Pogba and Griezman, or Koke and Reus or any two genuinely world class players and we used some of the youth/loan players to make up the numbers and actually give them a chance, does anyone believe we wouldn't be a better team?

While you have a point there, we've recouped most of Filipe Luis and Salah, van Ginkel was dirt cheap and the loan farm might actually be a solid investment (not wanting to spark another long discussion there, but we'll have to see what the bottom line is after a few more years).

The only money we could've really invested better, is what we paid for Cuadrado. Had we gone for Douglas Costa instead, we'd be singing praises by now, I believe (seriously, watch him at Bayern, he's pretty decent). Even so, the idea of moving for a Schurrle/Salah replacement was in itself fine.

Problem is, sinking 100m in a couple of players is a highly risky piece of business. While it's okay every now and then, the majority of deals need to be better, otherwise we run out of cash pretty quickly and have only half a squad.

[sNIP]

Rather than hinder the progress of the younger players, having a strong starting eleven with strong back-up actually allows us to give the younger players more minutes with less pressure.

With our current squad, if we have a couple of injuries it'll be crap but "trusted" back-ups rather than callow youth that will be called upon. If a couple of main players go off the boil, it'll be crap but "trusted" back-ups rather than callow youth that will be called upon.

Adding the likes of a Koke, Griezemann, Reus, etc means we would have a strong starting eleven with a much stronger bench than we currently have. This in turn would better allow us to have an academy player on the bench, or in "easier" games an academy player starting.

What actually creates the log-jam between academy and a first team start are the likes of Mikel, Ramires, Cuadrado, Salah etc being in the squad. It seems easier to "trust" these players (when we are as thin of genuine quality outside of the starting eleven as we are) than to give the kids a chance.

Imagine if we'd managed to move on one or both of Mikel and Ramires, plus Cuadrado, Salah, Marin, Romeu and a few others of the over 21s out on loan and used that money towards replacing them with just Schneiderlin (who was available, has PL experience and counts as home grown/association trained. Not a mega star but a damned sight better than Ramires and Mikel) Koke or Griezemann and, for argument's sake, Benzema instead of Falcao?

You might initially think that a central midfield made up of two from Matic, Fabregas, Schneiderlin & RLC (with the occasional outing for Zouma, too) a little thin in numbers compared to the current set up, but the quality of those first three is so much higher than the quality of our current first four that both RLC and Zouma would get more minutes without it hurting us.

Then add Koke/Griezemann to our current usual starting line-up of Hazard, Oscar and Willian and whichever three start, we have a genuine potential game-changer on the bench. For all his hard work in pre-season, that's not really Moses. He's great to come on and offer some pace against a tiring defence, or to allow a tired Oscar or Willian to come off, but he won't stop defenders doubling up on Hazard.

I don't buy in to the "we're saving the money to pay for the new stadium" train of thought... planning permission hasn't yet been sought, let alone granted, so it may not happen for a while in spite of everyone getting excited at the prospect. Either José is being incredibly egotistical by believing getting more out of the same players as last season is feasible, or somebody has upset the board/owner and they're not being allowed to buy their eggs at Waitrose any more.