• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

GURJ SS   

And Courtois, Costa, Cahill and JT by that standard.

Nah I rate Begovic and Zouma, they will provide enough, especially after how well Zouma did last season. Costa has zero competition. It's just the truth, that Mikel, Ramires, Cuadrado, Moses and Remy have not got enough to justify their selection over our starting line up, even in bad form. It will take injuries only for them to feature regular, which just isn't good enough.

Kezza   

Agree with GURJ. While it ain't realistic finding a challenger for Hazard we've also seen what happened when he isn't playing well. And yes no challenger for Oscar and Willian is a real worry. I bet Willian and Oscar is happier now than when Schurlle and Mata was around. Probably the most relaxed start of the season these players will go into not worrying about competition from new players.

Edited by Kezza

xCELERYx   

We won't sign Rose as I reckon the Baba Rahman deal will be done imminently, if Augsburg signing a new left back is anything to go by.

I agree with Cam that if we spend 50 odd million on a back up LB and a young CB then it's hard to argue that the board isn't backing the manager. If Jose wants these players of course haha.

My issue is how the money is being spent, £50 million on Reus/Griezmann could be the spark we need to have a much better chance at the Champions League. Yet there's been more debate about whether we are still title favourites than in any realistic shape to win the CL. Not what I expected at all.

What kinda erks me with Reus/Griezmann/Koke continuing to be mentioned is that it appears not all understand that some of these players are simply not available options at present. Koke has said he's happy to Atletico, likewise with Griezmann. Reus the same with Dortmund. While neither club are looking to sell. Yet, they're always the players popping up on here as who we should sign without any sort of thought put into how realistic those suggestion may be. You may as well be suggesting we sign Messi, Aguero, etc. I'm sure the club has looked into such players and been promptly turned away, be it by fee demanded or disinterest in selling, leaving us where we are currently.

I'd have been extremely content with looking at players who would be realistically more obtainable who aren't already amongst the top tier of clubs, yet would still be able to contribute. More so when it appears the club aren't willing to splash big money on a single star player. Players like Filipe Anderson of Lazio, Franco Vazquez of Palermo, Pjanic at Roma, Moutinho at Monaco - hell, even someone like Sigurdsson at Swansea would be a useful addition to the side we currently have.

We seem to have reluctance to sign player who aren't quite at the top yet, but move to other bigger clubs, do well and then try to sign them for double or triple what they could have been purchased for had we not waited. Then wonder why it's as difficult as it is to get these players, or why the price goes beyond what we're willing to pay.

Sarin   

Like how we waited for Costa.

I would love if we signed Koke and Griezmann next year.
In my opinion the two would be great signings for us.

Griezmann has an eye for goal, and Koke would be perfect in our midfield.

"I think what other teams are doing will make a different Premier League. Crystal Palace buy [Yohan] Cabaye and Connor Wickham, as an example. I could give you much more examples. So, welcome this mentality, welcome this economic power, welcome this ambition.

If the Premier League was difficult, the Premier League will now be more difficult and I think fewer points to win the title. I think more defeats, more lost points for the top teams.

It was always difficult to win matches in England. Always difficult. I think now more difficult. I was giving examples of Crystal Palace, I could give you examples of Stoke City, I could give you examples of Newcastle United, I could give you examples of Watford. The teams are going to be stronger and I think it will be more difficult for all of us.

Everybody knows it’s difficult in this country but these teams are going to be difficult not just for the champions, they are going to be difficult for everybody.

They will take points from us, they will take points from other clubs, the distance will shorten for sure, and I think good."

Of course they're more likely to take points off you if they strengthen and you don't!!! Is he making excuses already?

I think what he's implying is to look at the kind of players the "smaller" ( I hate that but can't think of a better way of putting it) teams are buying, where the likes of Palace and Stoke would normally be acquiring players from the Championship or lesser European leagues they are now buying from established CL sides like PSG and Barca and hence they will improve sides that were already difficult to beat. From memory we already have a hard enough time of it against Palace and Newcastle without all these new" quality" signings popping up , not to mention Stokalona.

Khobar   

I think what he's implying is to look at the kind of players the "smaller" ( I hate that but can't think of a better way of putting it) teams are buying, where the likes of Palace and Stoke would normally be acquiring players from the Championship or lesser European leagues they are now buying from established CL sides like PSG and Barca and hence they will improve sides that were already difficult to beat. From memory we already have a hard enough time of it against Palace and Newcastle without all these new" quality" signings popping up , not to mention Stokalona.

Yep, plus it's easier to make larger improvements at a 'smaller' club than it is to make an improvement at an already successful club. It's not an excuse, just common sense.r

They are still acquiring players from the lesser European leagues. Bar a few exceptions, it's absolute tosh to say the lower ranked English teams are buying quality players.

Look at Villa. Which one of their signings makes the league better? How many knew any of them before they signed for Villa?

Cabaye is probably the best player to move to the PL this summer from another country. Schweini is a good shout but he's half the player he once was. Clasie to Soton is another decent buy. Affelay as well.

The Barca reference is ludicrous. Deulofeu certainly feels more like an Everton player than a Barca player. He's got 2 games for Barca, 25 for Everton and 17 for Seville. Hardly a top player.

Have a look at where the signings come from. It's not top players we are buying for all this money.

No, my point is that the quality of the players the lesser sides are buying has improved, Stoke have Bojan and Affelay where in the past they'd have gone for players from the Championship, you can't complain about the paucity of English players and then disagree that the players from the continent that Stoke, Villa ,Newcastle and Palace are a cut above the English, surely?

Lots of rumours doing the rounds today.

Baba Rahman's agent is on record as saying a deal has been agreed with the player & saying all that's needed is agreement on the fee. Quotes are in the media. So that's progressing.

In relation to Stones, the Telegraph is saying Everton are "increasingly concerned" that if a bid of £30 million or more comes in then Stones will go and that he is likely to leave, likely for us.

Twitter is going crazy with rumours he will join us for £33 million and United aren't interested.

It's all rumours and speculation, no evidence of course. But hoping these two deals get done ASAP.

Edited by James Prescott

And Jose is right. The standard of the PL is improving. Not many players could improve us, other teams have more room for improvement. That's what he is getting at.

Both Jose and JT have said we need to be better this year to retain the title - and we will. Part of that comes from new players but part of it comes from players we have improving, as they have the potential to do.

Less points will probably win the title - but still back us to win it.