• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Zoowraa   

Oh for goodness sake. The principle is the same, the exact wording doesn't matter. What I mean is he has the potential to go miles ahead of Cahill - and he has miles more potential that Cahill had at the same age.

You guys are so legalistic, nit picking and cynical. The basic principle is the same - Stones will end up a better player than Cahill.

Flipping heck. People get worked up over such little things.

Firstly, I was not worked up about it.

Secondly, the two statements you made are not the same and not even that similar. Trouble is, you go on such a crazy almost preacher like PR crusade on every bit of news that comes out of the club. Then you repeat it about five times and end up tying yourself in knots.

Take a step back and think why might it be that many of your posts attract a lot of attention ? Your not unlucky, your not picked on, it's even that you have wild outlandish views that people disagree with. It's none of those reasons. Hopefully, you might work it out. If it's not something you like, then you are in control of changing that.

Chel_don   

If we do sell Cuardado then we should go all out for some like Isco, Hamsik or Pjanic. We dont need another winger type player that wont help us much.

Really? How would we know that, unless he gets given the chance to play and show what he's got? How can you know that there's this drop off in quality between say, Traore and Willian? And why then, if there's this drop off in quality, has he been brought back from loan? To not play him? Doesn't make any sense to me, I'm afraid.

I dont need to see him "given a chance" to know that someone like Willian is a much more seasoned player in terms of understanding the demands of his various positions, as well as being a much more gifted player technically. Physically seems very strong too.

With respect to Traore, I reckon he's decent technically, but needs to work on his strength on the ball, and still has alot to learn defensively. Thats based on the very little I've seen of him.

Oh for goodness sake. The principle is the same, the exact wording doesn't matter. What I mean is he has the potential to go miles ahead of Cahill - and he has miles more potential that Cahill had at the same age.

You guys are so legalistic, nit picking and cynical. The basic principle is the same - Stones will end up a better player than Cahill.

Flipping heck. People get worked up over such little things.

Oh I say, "flipping heck indeed what?"

Good. With luck he might get 10 games against a decent opposition this season then. Which at his age would be good, and Chelsea will know much more about him when he comes back as a 20 year old.

I think he needs to aim higher. You'll read the reason below.

Christensen got 90 minutes against St. Pauli last night in the DFB Cup.

I'll admit, Pauli are no great shakes, but he looked fairly solid and it's a good vote of confidence that he got selected for the first competitive game Mönchengladbach have played. Not sure how he's been doing over pre-season.

I've tried to keep track of them a bit (as I got roped into playing some weird fantasy football app by the Germans I occasionally visit professionally, and I obviously bought him). My impression, which is based as much on team selections over the course of the pre-season, as well as a few viewings:

He might have won the first choice CB spot. Reasons for that are that they like left footed CBs at their left CB spot and his only real competition there are the erratic Dominguez (who's also second choice LB, I believe) and a 34/35 yo, whose name fails me. While Christensen isn't actually left footed, you'd have a hard time noticing a difference between the quality of his left and right.

The absolutely nailed on starter (and captain) Jantschke has to play RB apparently, which opens up the other CB spot for competition, too.

His pre-season there is quickly summed up: He's comfortable on the ball and looks competitive defensively (all their other defenders are small, so he's one of the tallest, by the way). And he played A LOT, often not even being subbed when everyone else only got 45 or 60. Which might mean that he needed to adapt to their style or that he was simply fitter, either way it's an encouraging early sign.

For what it's worth, a guy I work with is a regular at Goodison Park, and his family are season ticket holders long standing.

He reckons Stones makes mistakes as you'd expect from a player of his age, but that he is a player of sublime talent. All the things you've probably read and heard, the willingness to constantly want the ball, the calmness and composure to not be ruffled when challenged and the technique to either bring the ball out or to hit accurate passes over any range.

But also pace to burn, courage and a willingness to tackle and not be bullied by more physical strikers.

However, it's more than that - my friend says Stones is a leader on the pitch, leads by example, tells far more experienced players what to do and generally gives off an aura of calm.

So I asked him, "Will he get into Chelsea's team if we buy him?"

His view is that at this current time Stones is at least as good as Cahill, but with the added advantage of pace to burn. His ceiling? "Way above Cahill, a mixture of the best bits of Terry and Ferdinand," was his reply.

When pushed to explain, he answered, "As quick and cultured looking as Ferdinand but with a bit more ruggedness and determination. The things he lacks are that instinctive positioning, that nous that playing alongside Terry would teach him. When he plays well, the best central defender I've seen at Goodison since Ratcliffe, but in a few years will be head and shoulders above him."

He reckons if we don't conclude a deal this summer he'll go to City or United for much more than £34m in the next two years... Only my mate's opinion of course, but he's not generally one for hyperbole and generally knows his stuff. So for me, we can either pay £34m this summer and have a few people whinge that it's too much, or we can spend the next decade watching him play for a big rival and wish that we'd signed him when we could have.

Zidane   

Thanks Grimsby, really appreciate that kind of insight on here. Much more interesting than "he's just not good enough".

Sarin   

Is it still a question that Willian plays better in the middle and better than Oscar. The RW is clearly a weakness and we haven't improved on it. When we had Mata and Oscar was playing wide right I thought he did better than what Willian has done.

Willian is looking a lot better now than he used to. At the end of last season he really started to improve.

Oscar was great at the start of last season, some people forget how good he was.

Then he dropped off.

His game against Swansea was excellent I thought, so hopefully if he continues in form in the centre, and we have an improved Willian wide we will look more threatening.

At least we have Moses as a wide right option.

Not ideal, but could be good for us this season.

Why aren't we in for Pedro? Such a class player.

For the quoted fees? I disagree. Scored goals in a hugely dominant side and lost his place to superior players.

Good depth player at a top club, but npt for what we'd have to pay for him imo