• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

BlueFizz   

How about naming a price and holding your hand out? If they say no, you walk away. The reason he is valued more then £20M is because he is English. It is beyond a joke that we are paying about £15M more for a player's nationality. Let some other mug take him, and get in a player who is cheaper and better. Not to keep going on about him, but Laporte would be cheaper and better. Stones is entering Koke, Isco and Greizmann figures, that is laughable.

I think (if it's true) that our £30m or even £35m offer shows that we do value him more highly than you do.

But, going back to cars, if you plan on buying one and want a good deal don't name your price and hold your hand out. This will get you a quick deal and save you the bother of negotiating if your price meets or exceeds the seller's price. But you may pay more than you need to pay.

Edited by BlueFizz

GURJ SS   

I think (if it's true) that our £30m or even £35m offer shows that we do value him more highly than you do.

But, going back to cars, if you plan on buying one and want a good deal don't name your price and hold your hand out. This will get you a quick deal and save you the bother of negotiating. But you will pay more than you need to pay.

I would have done something our club seems to have not done regarding Stones, my homework. Even our fans who really want Stones at the club know that we are being ripped off.

Okay.

Here's why your approach is a way to spend more than you may need to spend:

You want to buy my car.

You have £1,000 to spend on a car.

You tell me you have £1,000 to spend on a car. I charge you £1,000.

But...

What if I was always willing to sell for £800?

You've just spent £200 more than you needed to.

A more money-minded car-buyer would always have offered me less, say £700 to start with. I would have said no. Your second bid of £750 - no again. Your third bid - £800. I say yes.

And you have saved yourself that £200 to spend on a nice set of alloy

That is my choice. I value your car at £1,000, what you value it as is none of my concern. If you value it more or less has nothing to do with the maximum I am prepared to pay. I consider my judgement on the car's "worth", not yours.

So it really has nothing to do with going back and forward, saving a buck here and there, second-hand bloody cars or nothing - what do Everton want, what are we prepared to pay? It's not rocket science.

Here's an idea move Dave to his natural position at right back, bring in Baba at left back, bring in Zouma at Centre back alongside either Terry or Cahill, stick ivanovic and either Cahill or Terry on the bench, back 4 sorted plus two decent players on the bench.

Then go to Everton and tell them we don't want Stones anymore thank you very much, Everton will then have a unhappy player who if believed wanted to join us.

We are being held to ransom and they know we need a young centre back, well do we really?

No I don't believe we do, get by this season and then look to give one of the other younger players a chance!

Makes good sense to me.

cam4blue   

I would have done something our club seems to have not done regarding Stones, my homework.

I'm sure someone at the club has a copy of Football Manager 2015 too. So don't worry.

But, going back to cars, if you plan on buying one and want a good deal don't name your price and hold your hand out. This will get you a quick deal and save you the bother of negotiating if your price meets or exceeds the seller's price. But you may pay more than you need to pay.

I'm kinda baffled that this had to be explained three times TBH.

what do Everton want, what are we prepared to pay? It's not rocket science.

Neither side are prepared to say what they are prepared to pay or accept, as a means of making the ultimate number as desirable as possible.

Some berk on the radio was saying that all of these bids are for showing Stones how much we want him. I think his point was that we are protracting this transfer deliberately as some sort of courting ritual to show Stones how badly (madly) we would like to have him and that all this is to make us look good and Everton bad in the hope that the player starts to rock the boat himself. Anything in that cobblers?

Some berk on the radio was saying that all of these bids are for showing Stones how much we want him. I think his point was that we are protracting this transfer deliberately as some sort of courting ritual to show Stones how badly (madly) we would like to have him and that all this is to make us look good and Everton bad in the hope that the player starts to rock the boat himself. Anything in that cobblers?

I don't know, but is it weird I sang 'badly (madly)' in a Savage Garden way?

BlueFizz   

I'm sure someone at the club has a copy of Football Manager 2015 too. So don't worry.

I'm kinda baffled that this had to be explained three times TBH.

Neither side are prepared to say what they are prepared to pay or accept, as a means of making the ultimate number as desirable as possible.

On your second point - I'm baffled that the basic principles of negotiating a price had to be explained three times too. I thought everyone knew how this stuff worked. Obviously I've bought and sold too many cars.

chara   

Always enjoy this forum in part because it is more flexible than most of the other areas.

My view is that all speculation about future transfers..and needs..is just that..speculation...wanting any player of talent is one thing..that player being available is another..so many factors involved..change of country,lifestyle,family considerations and of course wages and purchase price...for example(only) lets say Messi is the best player in the world..or Ronaldo or even Hazard......that makes them automatic topics of speculation for the media...obscuring the fact that all clubs are assessing probably every player in top flight football....

We enjoy our speculation in this forum...we all understand the needs of our club but knowing and getting the right player is where we have to rely on the Club which has ,to take ,in to account so many variables.

As this forum is flexible ..cheating I know but wanted to post something that I can find no forum to express...maybe I can get away with it by showing examples of past transfers...well, one anyway...

Watched highlights on Utube of the 1970 CF..I was there .....the equalising goal to make it 2-2...a very poignant moment for me...the camera follows three Chelsea players walking together to the restart..all looking so pleased and "up' and together...Osgood Hutchinson and Houseman.....need I say more?

Chelsea want him. They don't want another big club getting him. We need a player like him. JT is getting older, Cahil is nearly 30 and Bran is showing his age.

We need someone like Stones who can lead our defence for the next 10 years or more. When you think about him in that context, the amount isn't so much at all.

I've heard Everton will sell for £35 million. Chelsea are trying lower bids to see how far Everton will go. It's been in the media that the £30 million bid will be rejected for a while.

But the same sources are saying Everton might sell for £35 million or above, and given our clear need for a quality, quick young CB I think we will pay it.

And to compare him to Kalas is ridiculous in my views, and comes from this warped idea that if only Jose would play kids then suddenly they would become world class - players who are good enough will prove it, and will force their way in. JT forced his way in with Desailly, Lebeouf, Jes Hogh and Emerson Thome - all international class defenders - in front of him. Quality shows itself not just in matches but in training. RLC will have to force his way in, do well in training, then take the chance when he gets it. This isn't a pity party, you earn your chance at Chelsea. JT did.

Kalas is a good defender without doubt. But he isn't in the class of Stones IMO.

I think it might go to the wire but we will get him. And if we don't they will get someone else, because we do need another CB to go alongside Zouma (who is class).

Here is a link saying we will go to £35 million, which matches other reports today. And many of them say Everton will sell at that point.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-prepared-to-pay-35m-for-stones-as-Mourinho-turns-his-attention-to-Terry-and-ivanovic-a2905571.html

Hi James - not withstanding the rest (don't want to get involved really), but you are spot on regarding Stones vs. Kalas.

Kalas is nowhere near the level of Stones. To even make the comparison is slightly absurd in my view. Kalas has had ample opportunities to show what he can do while on loan. I'd be absolutely shell shocked if he ever plays at our level. His size more or less excludes him from ever being an elite CB.

People cite his one game at Anfield when we parked the bus for 90 mins and gave him all the protection in the world. One cannot use that game for anything sensible at all. It's was a one-off and such protection isn't viable over a season. Or even a stretch of a handful of games. We don't need yet another weakness - we need fewer.