• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Cahill IMO is a good player, but not a stand out.

Our team is setup to protect the two centre paring to an extent, also to protect Terry's lack of pace.

Cahill seems to have a good understanding with Terry, and when the two play together he usually does ok, without being outstanding.

Reliable, without being a stand out.

I think most will admit that there are a lot better defenders out there than Cahill though.

He has been a good signing, but he is hardly one of the best defenders in the world.

Well I wasn't making the point that he was one of the best defenders in the world (although I'm quite sure that he's much better than some here are prepared to admit). There may be better defenders out there than Cahill (I can certainly think of a few myself), but that isn't really the issue. We don't own most of those, and are unlikely to. My question was simply why people were so eager to get shot of him. He is very good, and he's rarely let us down. He's vastly experienced now. We don't know what's going to happen with JT, or how long he can go on for. Stones is the only CB we (the club) seem interested in. Even if we end up buying Stones, getting rid of Cahill in these circumstances doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me.

Jay Seal   

Personally I think we are making a huge mistake, as Laporte has a buy out clause of £20M and is better then Stones.

Where have you got that figure? I've seen it reported as £36.5m.

I've not seen anywhere near enough of either to have an opinion one way or another. Have you really?

What I don't understand in all of this, is why people seem so eager to dispense with Cahill? He's a good player, a seasoned international, and somebody who rarely let's us down. We know that JT isn't going to play for ever, and isn't the object of bidding for Stones, to bolster our options at CB? If we sell Cahill, and then JT either gets crocked (or fades out), then we're down to Zouma and Stones - so we'd end up back in the transfer market trying to buy at least one other CB, or possibly two.

OK, say we buy a defender, maybe slightly more experienced, cheaper, but with pace, this summer. Then next summer, we go for Stones. So then, either Cahill or JT leave.

I've always been a fan of Cahill. Good player, international, top professional. But he's not truly world class, he's good enough. And last season it's not a surprise to me he was dropped. To me, we look more solid with Zouma at CB, with JT's leadership and experience alongside him. Now Stones might be even better than Zouma, so bring him in next summer and he and Zouma can be our CB pairing for a decade - as I suspect is the plan. So we'd have Stones, Zouma, the defender we buy this summer, and JT or if he retires, a player from the academy stepping up as fourth choice CB (as has been the case is previous seasons).

It's not so hard to imagine. Stones will end up being a far superior player to Cahill, and if we're willing to spend £40 million on him, I can't see us giving that up totally just because they won't sell this summer, especially given his age and potential.

Telegraph reporting that we are in for Pedro. I'll believe it when I see it.

Most recent report says that Pedro to ManU is a done deal. Nothing official though.

Have any of you actually seen Laporte play?

I signed him in FIFA and he reached 88 overall, so that's good enough for me.

If he doesn't turn out great in real life, at least he will save me 30 mil of my transfer budget

OK, say we buy a defender, maybe slightly more experienced, cheaper, but with pace, this summer. Then next summer, we go for Stones. So then, either Cahill or JT leave.

I've always been a fan of Cahill. Good player, international, top professional. But he's not truly world class, he's good enough. And last season it's not a surprise to me he was dropped. To me, we look more solid with Zouma at CB, with JT's leadership and experience alongside him. Now Stones might be even better than Zouma, so bring him in next summer and he and Zouma can be our CB pairing for a decade - as I suspect is the plan. So we'd have Stones, Zouma, the defender we buy this summer, and JT or if he retires, a player from the academy stepping up as fourth choice CB (as has been the case is previous seasons).

It's not so hard to imagine. Stones will end up being a far superior player to Cahill, and if we're willing to spend £40 million on him, I can't see us giving that up totally just because they won't sell this summer, especially given his age and potential.

Just on the bolded bit - Cahill played in 36 of 38 Premiership games last season (33 starts + 3 subs), in what was one of the meanest defenses in the Prem. He did experience a small blip in form & confidence, but there's a significant difference in being rotated out to help his confidence, and being 'dropped' - if you get my meaning.

Here you're imagining that we're going out to buy this mystery defender (mainly because you now have doubts as to whether our bid(s) for Stones will work now, and you figure we'll be back in for him next summer), when there's no suggestion anywhere (apart from you) that it's even being thought about. That's fine, and I'm not saying that it's not possible, but it is just your suggestion at this stage. So let's forget what might or might not happen somewhere down the line, if, when, and maybe - for example we may move-on from Stones, and buy Laporte (just picking a name here, btw) instead. That'd be one in, giving us 4 CBs capable of playing first team. Seems to me to be the right number, and gives us options should JT get injured, or require rotation. Why would we reduce that to 3 by selling Cahill?

My question centred on the sense of buying Stones and selling Cahill, so let's just concentrate on that. We need more quality in depth, not the same.

I signed him in FIFA and he reached 88 overall, so that's good enough for me.

If he doesn't turn out great in real life, at least he will save me 30 mil of my transfer budget

I know your joking but I seriously get the impression some people use video games when they mention players we should sign.

How could anyone seen that much of Laporte play? How often do you see Bilbao on TV?

The poster that first mentioned him seems to mention every young player that is good on FIFA/FM , he either has an outrageous understanding of the game, spends most of his life watching football, some of the most obscure leagues or he uses video games as a way of judging players.