• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

What I would like to see is a replacement for Fabregas as he is worryingly becoming a shadow of his former self over the last six months. Maybe the shock of actually winning something in England became too much for him.

I'd like to see us sign Isco. Madrid might consider letting him leave now that they've got Kovacic.

DannyLB   

We already have a Cesc replacement in Oscar I think. What we dont really have is a genuine No.10

What do you mean by Cesc replacement? How many matches has Oscar featured in Cesc's position? I agree that we need a better 10 though, or a more genuine one that can provide more assists and even some goals.

We already have a Cesc replacement in Oscar I think. What we dont really have is a genuine No.10

They could both do with a rest from being kicked to bits twice a week, just every now and then, I'd imagine. That's where the real problem lies.

Why we have failed to bring in both a rotational option for Matic (since Mikel apparently isn't used) and Fabregas/Oscar is beyond me.

Chel_don   

What do you mean by Cesc replacement? How many matches has Oscar featured in Cesc's position? I agree that we need a better 10 though, or a more genuine one that can provide more assists and even some goals.

I think Cesc role is perfect for Oscar, Oscar has great work rate ,can get to box to box on a good level. Has a good long range passing, brings the ball out well in deep positions, can also tackle quite well. Tactically disciplined. He has all the skills set I think of a genuine No.8. We will never really see his full quality until he plays there properly I feel. No.10 is his 2nd best position.

GURJ SS   

I think Cesc role is perfect for Oscar, Oscar has great work rate ,can get to box to box on a good level. Has a good long range passing, brings the ball out well in deep positions, can also tackle quite well. Tactically disciplined. He has all the skills set I think of a genuine No.8. We will never really see his full quality until he plays there properly I feel. No.10 is his 2nd best position.

+1

The last spanish attacker we had(mata) linked wonderfully with hazard and,imo, helped hazard a lot.

I've seen a lot of good linking between oscar and hazard in the swansea game... If pedro comes in and adds to that link up play with those 2, I believe we're in for a real treat.

paulw66   

Mourinho quite obviously had to put build some pressure for the board to get active, so the the label "panic buy" was ever accurate, this situation probably applies.

That doesn't mean he wasn't aware of some very troubling problems with our squad in the first place (first and foremost that we actually decreased in quality (Cech > Begovic, Drogba > Falcao, Filipe Luis > Baba, Schurrle + Salah > Moses + Cuadrado)).

We ran out of steam last season because we lacked quality in the second row. We need some of the young guys to step up if we want a bench to call on.

The marginal utility of a second choice GK is negligible. Courtois + Begovic is still arguably the best 1+2 GK situation in world football.

Drogba v Falcao......marginal difference. Could be in our favour.

Luis v Baba. Time will tell but Mourinho didn't trust Luis in any big game last year when Dave was available

Salah was never used, so no loss at all, and JM lost faith in Shirley for some reason. Was sorry to see him go.

Zoowraa   

Quite a few people have said this about Oscar, me included, since we signed him which is getting on for 3/4 years now.

I find it really surprising we have not given him a run of games in this role over this period of time. I love watching Luka Modric play and whilst he may not quite match his performances in this role, I have always thought he could do a very similar job for us playing deeper.

I can't think of one game he has started for us in this role. There have been the odd passages of play when he has played this type of role and to my eyes, it suits him much more than the number 10 role. Especially if it is in a 3 man midfield.

I find it really perplexing.

The marginal utility of a second choice GK is negligible. Courtois + Begovic is still arguably the best 1+2 GK situation in world football.

Drogba v Falcao......marginal difference. Could be in our favour.

Luis v Baba. Time will tell but Mourinho didn't trust Luis in any big game last year when Dave was available

Salah was never used, so no loss at all, and JM lost faith in Shirley for some reason. Was sorry to see him go.

The squad is more than the first XI. Fact is we lost a lot of quality in the backup GK, ST, AM and FB spots. Most of these guys weren't the deadwood we hardly ever played, but the contributors that actually helped the first XI and provided some competition.

Begovic aside, every single one of their replacements comes with at least a small question mark. (Not least Remy, who's Drogba's real replacement until Falcao proves he can be of any use.)

That's far from ideal, particularly as we've failed to replace any of the deadwood.

Edited by Chelsea'Til_IDie

lzheyi   

The squad is more than the first XI. Fact is we lost a lot of quality in the backup GK, ST, AM and FB spots. Most of these guys weren't the deadwood we hardly ever played, but the contributors that actually helped the first XI and provided some competition.

Begovic aside, every single one of their replacements comes with at least a small question mark. (Not least Remy, who's Drogba's real replacement until Falcao proves he can be of any use.)

That's far from ideal, particularly as we've failed to replace any of the deadwood.

I still think Mourinho has himself to blame to the current situation.

Looking at how Mata is performing for Man utd just now as I predicted just show us how wrong the decision was by Jose.

Main issue is we do not rotate enough to keep players fresh.

There have been time we were 2-3 up and still no substitution.

Who could say we didn't miss shurrle directness or Kevin's creativitiy now? Would you not prefer to have lukaku on bench now rather than remy and falcao? We didn't even have buy back cost or option for lukaku or kevin which I think it is a silly decision.

I understand we have to consider financial gain but in my view it is also important that we have enough depth to fight for all competitions in a season.