• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

433 with rahman at left back and dave at rightback, oscar fabregas and matic in middle with hazard and pedro wide, that would make us more solid whilst you could also allow fabregas and oscar freedom to roam forward with the other covering.

Does anyone really think that Magic could play as the deepest midfielder in a 3? I think he's more useful being released to roam and on occasion create. I don't think we have a player that's happy in front of the defence, scampering about tackling everything.

I'm with those that would love to see William in the centre of midfield. This remains the area we most need to strengthen.

Does anyone really think that Magic could play as the deepest midfielder in a 3? I think he's more useful being released to roam and on occasion create. I don't think we have a player that's happy in front of the defence, scampering about tackling everything.

I'm with those that would love to see William in the centre of midfield. This remains the area we most need to strengthen.

out of what we have got he would be the best to use imo maybe not used as an out and out dm ala Makelele or mikel but more as the most defensive minded out a flat midfield three.

DannyLB   

I've still not seen Mata play at United anything like he did for us in his first two seasons. Nothing like it. Not as much creativity, not as many goals, not as much influence. Now he's out on the wing, which we all know isn't his best position. And we've thrived without him to be far - two trophies, including the league, last season. I love Mata, as a player, and a bloke - legend with us, winning three trophies including the CL. But I've not yet seen him at United as he was with us, and he's not made United better than us.

Maybe it's the Chelsea bias in me but I always thought Mata took a huge blow to his confidence when he was shipped out by Mourinho and that's one of the reasons he hasn't quite been able to replicate his Chelsea form at the scum. Of course, playing out of position isn't that great for him either.

xCELERYx   

We don't necessarily need a proper DM to play the 433 though. Popular belief may suggest this to be the case but it the opposite. It's all about having a balance within that 3. For arguments sake I'll use Juve as my example because I'm very familiar with their side and squad. Over last few years they haven't had a genuine DM/Holding player on their books, yet continued to like up with a midfield that employed someone that filled that field position (Pirlo). The key is that the other two midfielders were capable enough defensively to provide that balance, this partly due to the fact that both were more athletic than Pirlo and there was a good understanding. If one of the two pushed forward, the other would remain back with Pirlo. As long as that happens, the cover for the defence remains. At times the extra man could push forward, or in some cases Pirlo would get that extra freedom to roam more. While still working from deep, he space between him and the attacking line was reduced making his passing ability dangerous once more because he could either be direct or simply recycle the ball.

There seems to be a notion that a side needs a genuine DM but that's untrue, providing the balance and understanding is maintained. Willian or Oscar alongside Matic and Cesc would be fine. Both while more attacking are still mobile enough to cover the defensive ground without sacrificing their ability to instigate play going forward. Willians pace through the middle would also be a extra bonus when playing on the counter.

What you seem to be saying is that it is impossible to stand out as a defender.

No, that isn't what I said. The point I was making is that comparing the performances of a defender to those of a striker/attacking forward (which is what you were doing) isn't comparing apples with apples. A defender can be impressive, but still be over-shadowed by the exploits of the glory boys up-front. So, it's fair to compare a defender's performance, with other defenders - at the same club, or in the same league. Kalas was impressive during his stint at Vitesse, and his half-season at Boro, imo, doing his job as a defender. It's irrelevant that Traore may have impressed people more, up there in the limelight, scoring goals, and creating assists.

Chel_don   

I have always wondered if Willian can do the "Ramires" type role for us. He has the energy Ramires has and pace plus better technically and stronger physically. I think he could be an interesting box to box option.

I've still not seen Mata play at United anything like he did for us in his first two seasons. Nothing like it. Not as much creativity, not as many goals, not as much influence. Now he's out on the wing, which we all know isn't his best position. And we've thrived without him to be far - two trophies, including the league, last season. I love Mata, as a player, and a bloke - legend with us, winning three trophies including the CL. But I've not yet seen him at United as he was with us, and he's not made United better than us.

Tbh, James, I think you've answered your own question. Mata isn't a winger, and never has been really. He's a No.10, which is where he racked up his impressive stats at Chelsea. He was never the same influence after Mourinho decided that Oscar was his chosen No.10, and Mata had to fight out on the wing. Since joining United he's suffered from the same problem, because Rooney decided that he was the club's No.10 (the past 2 seasons), and both Moyes and van Gaal fell for the con.

I said at the time he moved, that if Moyes was planning to play Mata at No.10, then he'd bought himself a winner. But if he shunted him out to the wing, he'd wasted 38 mill of the club's money.

GURJ SS   

I have always wondered if Willian can do the "Ramires" type role for us. He has the energy Ramires has and pace plus better technically and stronger physically. I think he could be an interesting box to box option.

Same here, I think he has everything Ramires has and more.

I would be very interested to see a 433 with; Courtious; Ivan, Terry, Cahill, Azpi; Mikel(He sits deeper and is more disciplined then Matic in my opinion), Willian, Oscar; Hazard, Pedro(would prefer Greizmann), Costa; Maybe Rahman and Zouma for Ivan and Terry, if feeling brave.

Edited by GURJ SS