• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Daily Star reporting United are going for Stones with cash+Phil Jones.

Nice. I'd assume they have to pay an extra 5m for Everton to take Jones off their hands?

Wow so much transfer talk. Wonder if we are going to buy that " ball recovery" guy.

We should definitely sign that "OG" guy that keeps scoring so much.

I'm not surprised if he is with Everton at Barnsley. Whether he plays in another thing altogether.

And I'm not surprised either by United's interest in Stones. But we've been in for him all summer, likely been unofficial discussions/contact with his agent making it clear we want him, and the role we have for him. I think he's set his mind to come here and work with Jose & JT. And plus, we're a better side right now, much more capable of winning trophies, a much better all round side.

Even if Everton accept their bid, if we match it in value it's not up to Everton. And I honestly think he'll choose us.

But to be honest I think it's too late. I think we're too far advanced in this now. We'll be logging a bid very soon, and given how good we are in negotiations (see Pedro) in comparison to United, I think if anyone gets him, it's us.

And of course, it could be a story leaked by Everton to push the price up and force our hand.

My instinct is that we will not bring anyone new in before the end of the window. But then, I'm never the most optimistic sort.

We should definitely sign that "OG" guy that keeps scoring so much.

http://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_goalgetter/eng-premier-league/eigentore/1/

Richard Dunne got 10, and Carragher 7, though sadly he is no longer available (for Liverpool).

But Wes Brown and Jagielko (both on 6) are still available :)

Pleasingly there are only two Chelsea player in the top 50 PL OG scorers. Steve Clarke on 3 and who would have thought it - Mad Frankie Sinclair with 5.

But some of those were for Leicester:

this one from 40 yards is at least for Leicester (you need to go 50 secs in to find a camera shot that actually sees it).

Wow so much transfer talk. Wonder if we are going to buy that " ball recovery" guy.

We're buying ball boys now??? Surely we could just get some of the 14/15 year olds at Cobham to that!

I'm not sure I understand this post, if it's sarcasm or a joke:) The tribulations of an online forum I suppose :)

The post I referred to is a rather lengthy one in the Ramires thread which I linked to James a few posts above in this thread.

I'm glad you don't keep up with all my posts, I'd be worried for you if you did! In fact, maybe I should be worried for myself!

There's no doubt about your conclusion for sure.

Hearing John Stones starts tonight against Barnsley. I'm not surprised, though I thought I would be. I guess if he gets injured, they know we'll probably pull out. If he doesn't, it's another two fingers up at Chelsea, being cup tied. It's also a sign of how damn stubborn Martinez is. I wonder if he'd have started if he hadn't handed in a transfer request.

Hopefully it'll be a last goodbye to both sets of fans, before coming here.

Edited by James Prescott

My instinct is that we will not bring anyone new in before the end of the window. But then, I'm never the most optimistic sort.

Yep; can't see anyone coming in. Just a lot of media bluster.

Hearing John Stones starts tonight against Barnsley. I'm not surprised, though I thought I would be. I guess if he gets injured, they know we'll probably pull out. If he doesn't, it's another two fingers up at Chelsea, being cup tied. It's also a sign of how damn stubborn Martinez is. I wonder if he'd have started if he hadn't handed in a transfer request.

Hopefully it'll be a last goodbye to both sets of fans, before coming here.

Regarding being cup tied, according to The Independent "In contrast to the FA Cup, players can play for more than one team in the same season of the League Cup, meaning he would not be cup-tied should he move to Stamford Bridge." (Like you, I thought he'd be cup tied... when did that change?)

I think it's more likely to be how stubborn Bill Kenwright and the rest of the Everton board are... ultimately they'll decide if he stays or if he goes, not the manager. Martinez is starting him so that, if Stones does get sold, he can say to the fans, "well I did all I could to keep him! Don't blame me, blame the board" Kenwright has already been on the receiving end of abuse from some fans who wish he'd just sell up and leave.

Edited by Bob Singleton