• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

I'm ambivalent - these 'kids' earn a fortune at an early age. But at the same time, I hate the way Martinez talks about him as if he's his wayward son (not a fellow employee of the same business, that he happens to have managerial responsibility for). If a manager ever presumed to know 'what's best for me' in any job I've had, it would double my resolve to get out. Hopefully that's the way with Stones.

Just on this note, we don't know the connection between Martinez and Stones. Stones' entire Everton career has been under Martinez, and he could be like a father figure. Look at the relationship between Jose and Lampard, and how SFL nearly went to Inter in 09 as a result.

I started my first full time job at 17, and worked there until I was 22. I have endless amounts of respect for my manager of those last 3 years, and he even encouraged me to accept another job offer at an opposition company when I was starting to stagnate. 2 years down the track, and in a new industry, I still call him for advice. It's almost like a second father figure.

Holymoly   

Absolutely right mate.

But most clubs wouldn't want to force an unhappy player to stay. It's not very productive.

I suppose it depends which club it is and how important of an asset that player is for them. I'd say it's insanity for Everton to keep Stones "no matter what". That club has suffered from a lack of investment for years. This could be a great chance of going out finding 3-4 seriously good players for them for that money.

They had pots of money available from the TV deal but haven't spent it, so I think the whole "use it to strengthen the squad overall" argument is moot.

Holymoly   

Ok, please don't shout at me for this, and take this with an appropriately sized pinch of salt as you will but I will regale you with what happened to me yesterday evening:

Having dinner at an Italian restaurant near SB, and as someone who speaks Italian, I noticed the waiter definitely wasn't. We got chatting, and turns out he is Portuguese. Conversation rolls on, we start talking about Mourinho, Chelsea etc, and I told him I was a ST holder, blah, blah.

He then tells me that the restaurant's clientele has recently included Mourinho (who he got friendly with being Portuguese and had given him two tickets to a game last season), Oscar, Ramires, and most recently, Cuadrado. He then showed me pictures on his phone of him with Mourinho, and him with Mourinho and his eldest son. He then showed me another with Ballack, all of these at the restaurant where he works. Nothing abnormal thus far.

As I was leaving and saying goodbye, he tells me that he has heard from "sources" that Chelsea are confident Pogba deal to be done by the weekend with Ramires going to Juve. Whether this was him trying to pretend to be Charlie Big Balls, or not, I don't know but I don't see what value he had in lying, and from the photo evidence he showed, he wasn't lying about the Chelsea connection eating at that restaurant.

Like I say, don't shoot for me passing on what is probably nothing but gossip, but I thought there might be interest on here.

Does Charlie Big Balls know a lot about football then mate?

Not really with how fast football is progressing financially.

Which is outrageous in itself.

It is just ahead of the curve.

You have average players at "Financially responsible Arsenal" on 80k.

True, but this is nearly 4 times 80k Sarin. Nevertheless I take your point. The only way to stop this lunacy is for fans to stop buying the product, either through the turnstiles or through TV subscriptions. They're the ones who are funding it.

They had pots of money available from the TV deal but haven't spent it, so I think the whole "use it to strengthen the squad overall" argument is moot.

Indeed. Amongst the Everton fans I know, they are frustrated by two things... the lack of investment in players when they know that there is money there to be spent (obviously not as much as ourselves, the Manchester clubs etc., but at least as much, if not more, than Newcastle, Stoke, Palace, Swansea etc) and the lack of investment in the club in general. Many blame Kenwright. He keeps saying that he'll only sell to the "right" people who have the best interests of the club at heart (a noble thought, of course), but because of the lack of investment in the stadium (what happened to the new one they wanted to build some 8-10 years ago?) and the training facilities, the fans wonder who in their right mind would want to buy the club.

They feel that whatever they might get for Stones, maybe only half of that would be given to Martinez to spend, and that wouldn't be enough to get the two CBs they would need as replacements for Stones and cover for the ageing Jagielka.

Sarin   

Evidently Everton does not have TONS OF MONEY.

Seen a post by some Everton fans today saying how badly the club is managed, how they already borrowed against the new TV deal before they even received the cash and so on.

Worst club financially managed in the Premier League was what all their fans were saying.

Ok, please don't shout at me for this, and take this with an appropriately sized pinch of salt as you will but I will regale you with what happened to me yesterday evening:

Having dinner at an Italian restaurant near SB, and as someone who speaks Italian, I noticed the waiter definitely wasn't. We got chatting, and turns out he is Portuguese. Conversation rolls on, we start talking about Mourinho, Chelsea etc, and I told him I was a ST holder, blah, blah.

He then tells me that the restaurant's clientele has recently included Mourinho (who he got friendly with being Portuguese and had given him two tickets to a game last season), Oscar, Ramires, and most recently, Cuadrado. He then showed me pictures on his phone of him with Mourinho, and him with Mourinho and his eldest son. He then showed me another with Ballack, all of these at the restaurant where he works. Nothing abnormal thus far.

As I was leaving and saying goodbye, he tells me that he has heard from "sources" that Chelsea are confident Pogba deal to be done by the weekend with Ramires going to Juve. Whether this was him trying to pretend to be Charlie Big Balls, or not, I don't know but I don't see what value he had in lying, and from the photo evidence he showed, he wasn't lying about the Chelsea connection eating at that restaurant.

Like I say, don't shoot for me passing on what is probably nothing but gossip, but I thought there might be interest on here.

If he's right, please pass me the address of said restaurant and describe the waiter: I'd like to eat there. And leave the waiter a somewhat excessive tip. He may have made my week.

Edited by blue moon