• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

GURJ SS   

I am probably on my own, but I can't help but feel a little relieved over the Stones thing. I haven't seen him much, but those performances did not speak to me of the kind of consistency I expect to see in a CB for that kind of money. Personally, I'd prefer to keep the money see Davey, Christensen or Kalas given a go. We won't know if they can step up until we try them. Alternatively, push Brana into the back four and play Traore or Kenedy as a wing back.They are not short of pace.

I'm relieved too, the money we would need to spend could buy 3 talents that are less known to the media. Where were our scouts when Stones was at Burnley, we missed the boat on a homegrown talent when we are now desperate for a homegrown talent, our scouting system seems to be 3 years behind.

I think an established left back makes more sense short term, with Azpi moving to right back and Ivan moving to centre back; if lack of pace is the problem, although I don't think it is. In terms of numbers and cover, Rahman coming in has helped us hugely and given us good options.

Edited by GURJ SS

Sea foot   

Up to 40 mil for a CB is damned expensive but if he became the next Terry, I.e. regular starter for the next 10 years or so, then it would probably be cheaper than buying a CB in their prime every 3 or 4 years. Plus it would mean that the back line would be settled rather than learn to play with new players each time.

Just another way of looking at the money spend.

Have to disagree with the seemingly generally accepted view on here. There's a dearth of top class centre backs everywhere. There's even less top class English ones. Gary Neville wrote about it last year and his points are still true now. I recall him using the examples of Luiz and Mathieu to illustrate how top clubs are struggling to find suitable replacements. Mangala is another. £40m for a young centre back is madness, but that's the market these days. Stones is homegrown, premiership tested, a full international, and possesses some combination of grit, composure and finesse.

There's a reason also rans like Garay are being mentioned as alternatives. He'd not even be thought of if there was a larger, higher quality pool of available talent.

If we don't get Stones this year, I can see US paying more next season for him, or giving up on getting someone English and going abroad again. If we want an English spine, there aren't many alternatives out there.

Must say I do agree with your general point here. The pool of players in world football who actually make a difference is incredibly small and the fact that there's a a lot of money floating about in England means English teams pay waaaaay over the top for players who are just slightly above the European average. By only looking at the money dished out and the wages paid it seems the difference in quality should be bigger. But because there's so few of those players around we end up paying ridiculous fees for players who really aren't much better than a £5-10m player from let's say France or Spain.

Part of the problem is the wages paid over here. Once you sign a player that player will immediately get a salary that's in line with the rest of the squad like any other work place really. And so it continues without you actually getting the quality your buck suggest you should. Because there aren't that many quality players around that genuinely would justify such fees.

This forum will be locked temporarily while the moderators assess the content of recent pages, and make some adjustments.

Let me make this clear to everyone: This is a forum for transfer gossip, rumour, and opinion. It used to be pre-moderated, and posts sat in a queue waiting for the available moderators to approve/edit/delete posts, depending on the appropriateness of the content. The time involved in performing that function depended on how many moderators were available at any given time. The membership wanted the pre-moderation removed as it apparently adversely affected the conversation flow. The membership were of the opinion that as they were adults, and could be trusted to do the right thing, pre-moderation was unnecessary. As a result, management made the decision to open-up the forums. This has no doubt sped-up the conversation/discussion time, but it has also placed the responsibility on the members themselves to conduct themselves appropriately, as the few moderators that remain active, are not available 24/7 to check every post - often pages can fly by without a single moderator being logged in (forget the moderator list at the bottom of the main page - we have 3, sometimes 4 active mods. And they volunteer their time to keep the joint ticking over). Most members do the right thing. However, there are those who take advantage of this situation to bully others, name-call, and display typical 'internet warrior' tendencies, and in doing so, spoil things for the majority. These forums are meant to be a place where Chelsea supporters/fans can meet to discuss a range of issues that impact the club/team. They are meant to 'fun', and not the source of aggravation, aggression, and spite. People will have different opinions, and they will be disagreed with - that's the purpose of a discussion forum. Discussions can become 'vigorous' as people stick up for their opinions, and others criticise, or simply take a different view - and there's nothing wrong with that, either. Sometimes, people can be very acerbic in their responses, but it's also true that some posters are ultra-sensitive to any criticism that comes their way, and over-react. However, the real pettiness and nastiness that we also see displayed here from time to time, is unacceptable. If it continues, and some people find themselves unable, or unwilling, to conduct themselves with a reasonable level of respect towards fellow members, then those members will be removed, and pre-moderation will be reintroduced - take that to the bank.

We will be back shortly.......

Ok. We've made the necessary adjustments, which means that the most recent handful of pages have been edited, and some posts have been removed. We start fresh as of now. And remember - it's up to you the members, as well as the moderators, to ensure that these forums remain a place where we can all enjoy ourselves without having to endure harassment, bullying, and personal insults. Disagree by all means - but leave the attitude and personal stuff out of your posts. Be warned: The moderators will be applying a zero tolerance approach from here on in.

Apparently we're in for the 'chinese Sergio Ramos'; Stones alternative or the segway into the Asian market for Chelsea that Park Ji Sung was for United? 95% chance it's the latter.

Apparently we're in for the 'chinese Sergio Ramos'; Stones alternative or the segway into the Asian market for Chelsea that Park Ji Sung was for United? 95% chance it's the latter.

Work permit will be the problem. Like I said earlier, I'm not up on Greg Dyke's new rules 100%. Can't see us going for a 26 year old without confidence of having a work permit granted

I like KDB

Not sure he is exactly what Man City need though.

Yep. Also, if you believe the comments coming out of Wolfsburg, what they've (City) offered is quite extraordinary.