• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Just heard that de Gea to Madrid has failed due to Utd returning paperwork one minute too late. Funny if true!

Now, before anyone jumps in with both feet........I'm just posting this for a bit of fun.........

http://sofifa.com/player/148337-papy-mison-djilobodji

According to this, his best points are strength, aggression, and the sliding tackle. His worst bits are agility, reactions, balance, positioning, and vision! He does score the odd long-range goal, though......:).

Mixed feelings on this one (Papa Djilobodji... could be an interesting football chant). Yes we need more strength/options in defence, but with the kind of attention given currently to these kind of defenders, it's clear this season is JT's last. Sad times.

Just heard about De Gea. Can't help but wonder if this is delaying tactics by LVG/Man U to retain him after the Romero flop(s).

But to say "Kalas must be better" is not really built on anything other than hope I reckon. He bombed at Koln and had a decent season at RB for Vitesse.

Did he really, Dave? How could he 'bomb' when he was never given a shot - played 2 reserve team games and never played a senior match, even as a sub.

[Kalas, himself, did not know why he had been given the cold shoulder at Köln, where he played only two reserve games. During an interview, Kalas said "At first they were happy with my performances but then I didn’t play in any game [sic]. I don’t know what went wrong."]

I understand that his time there was disappointing, but I can't see that it reflects badly on his ability. If he'd played and been found wanting at that level, then yes. However there appears to have been something else going on there.

Did he really, Dave? How could he 'bomb' when he was never given a shot - played 2 reserve team games and never played a senior match, even as a sub.

[Kalas, himself, did not know why he had been given the cold shoulder at Köln, where he played only two reserve games. During an interview, Kalas said "At first they were happy with my performances but then I didn’t play in any game [sic]. I don’t know what went wrong."]

I understand that his time there was disappointing, but I can't see that it reflects badly on his ability. If he'd played and been found wanting at that level, then yes. However there appears to have been something else going on there.

I take it he was training with the rest of the Koln players in full view of the Koln manager every single day?

I reckon 99.999% of football managers are so desperately in need of results to keep them in a job that they select the very best players (in their opinion) to help them achieve the result. If the Koln manager was deciding on a weekly basis that another player was better than Kalas then I don't see how he can possibly be considered to be of the right standard for us?

If the Koln manager was deciding on a weekly basis that another player was better than Kalas then I don't see how he can possibly be considered to be of the right standard for us?

How about a scenario where the coach already had an established pairing, and simply chose not to break it up, or a go-to right back? Not unheard of is it, not even at Chelsea, I'd have thought? Simply put, Kalas didn't become a bad player overnight. And then suddenly become a good one again. He was impressive at Vitesse, and again at Boro (at right back). There was a black hole at Koln, but why should he be judged on that alone? As I said before, something we don't know about was going on there, which is undoubtedly why Chelsea whipped him out at the first opportunity (mid-season) and sent him to Boro, managed as I'm sure you're aware, by JM's mate Karanka. I'd also suggest that there's plenty of examples of where a player apparently 'failed' at one club (for whatever reasons), only to then his career ignited at his next stop - it doesn't make him 'not Chelsea quality'. Now I can't predict the future for Kalas, and I've never made the argument that he's already a star, but I still can't see the logic in putting guys like him and Christensen out on loan, and then buying a 26-year-old nobody from Nantes. And I only partially buy the 'they need games' theory.

Don't worry mate, apparently we haven't bought him to actually play, just to occasionally sit on the bench. So everything is hunky dory............:).

Maybe Roman wants him so he can use the name when he's playing Scrabble.

What makes you so certain? I'm no fan of the Mirror (or any of the tabloids, for that matter), but do we know that he wasn't offered to and rejected by these clubs?

Because it's a red top and I hate red tops. I am no more certain than those who are writing off this Nantes defender already.