• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

I thought it was generally understood that they were on the Man U shopping list that Kenyon still had in his back pocked when he arrived in 2003 - so we nipped in quick.

None of which matters though, does it? Whether bought by 'the club' from your 'Kenyon's Man U shopping list', or by Ranieri, they certainly weren't bought by Mourinho.

None of which matters though, does it? Whether bought by 'the club' from your 'Kenyon's Man U shopping list', or by Ranieri, they certainly weren't bought by Mourinho.

Yep, correct. My bad.

I'll include him on the list of those who grew to prominence with JT and SFL though.

Sciatika   

Hutch was born in Derby, but we got him from non-league Cambridge United. Ossie was also non-league and a teenager when he arrived.

Yes we did spend a bit after John Neal kept us up and suddenly McLoughlin, Dixon and Nevin (and most of all IMO Spackman) all arrived at once. But it was still a 2nd division team spending 2nd division money buying players for a maximum of £200k. Spackman cost just £40k. The first £1 million transfer had happened 4 years earlier.

I (mis-)remembered Derby for Hutch. I thought Ossie was working as a brickie's mate for his father when he joined. Just like Ramires did.

I (mis-)remembered Derby for Hutch. I thought Ossie was working as a brickie's mate for his father when he joined. Just like Ramires did.

Probably - from what I remember, it wasn't one of the near professional leagues, it was below that, and might have been amateur.

chara   

Always thought..and it's a while ago!1..that Ossie was playing in the Windsor(?) Sunday league... might be wrong but certainly not at a pro level...but again a long time ago.

Always thought..and it's a while ago!1..that Ossie was playing in the Windsor(?) Sunday league... might be wrong but certainly not at a pro level...but again a long time ago.

Could well be

It's a weird (and somehow worrying) thought that there are some 20somethings out there that have really only ever known us win. The day I get blasé about that, please take me out and remind me about the Orient replay.

Ha ha I remember seeing Bob Iles in goal...

kev61   

How I can back up that statement? Let's see...

He built a great team at Porto, winning the UEFA Cup in 2003 and the CL in 2004. He did it on a shoestring with Portuguese players and cheap Brazilians. He didn't dismantle that team at all but moved to a bigger job with Chelsea.

At Chelsea he immediately won our first league title in 50 years and also made it a double for good measure. In the three full seasons with us he won 5 titles - 2PL, 2 League Cups and a FA Cup. He didn't dismantle that team either, rather that team continued it's success with the core of the 2012 CL winning squad being Mourinhos old boys.

When he left Chelsea, he went to Italy, Of course, he won the Serie A in his first attempt but Europe had alluded the Italians for a long time (since 1962 actually). He sold their best player despite having a fantastic relationship with him and again built the best team in Europe for that money. He didn't dismantle Inter either, he left for Real Madrid. Benitez was responsible for dismantling them and he did it in record time - 6 months.

After coming to Madrid he finished second against the "best team the planet had ever seen" but finally made them progress past a CL QF which had not happened for quite a while. The season after he won La Liga in record style (still competing with the "best team this planet has ever seen"). He left after his third season (again taking them to CL semis - three seasons in a row). The team he left for Ancelotti was more or less the same squad that won it's 10th CL title.

He then came back here and took over a team of softies and pretenders that had not managed a better position than 3rd on the PL for a number of years. He sold the pretenders and swapped them for winners. He did it while making money for the club and won the PL and League Cup in his second season - something we hadn't been close doing since 2009/10.

Your turn now. Show me what team he "dismantled". Show me what team he didn't manage to build.

look,his CV cannot be questioned,however after the initial success(charisma?)he dismantles teams in a nutty professor sort of way.I would like answers to the following questions and I would like you sleeping Dave to answer me as you put me in the spotlight.

1.why has he been so grumpy since his return?

2.why is he blaming everyone(medics included)for our shortcomings?

3.why is he blaming a player that if was poor for ninety minutes not hook him before then?

4.why is he sticking with players that have been under performing for a very long time?

5.why is he blaming the media,time and time again,that makes him look like a spoilt child?

look,his CV cannot be questioned,however after the initial success(charisma?)he dismantles teams in a nutty professor sort of way.I would like answers to the following questions and I would like you sleeping Dave to answer me as you put me in the spotlight.

1.why has he been so grumpy since his return?

2.why is he blaming everyone(medics included)for our shortcomings?

3.why is he blaming a player that if was poor for ninety minutes not hook him before then?

4.why is he sticking with players that have been under performing for a very long time?

5.why is he blaming the media,time and time again,that makes him look like a spoilt child?

What does this have to do with your initial claim that Mourinho can't build a team but dismantles them?