• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

16 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Sadly I am beginning to agree. Falcao is likely staying. I honestly can't see why we would sell Remy when Costa is so vulnerable to injury and Falcao is a non-starter. 

Baffling. Still, if Pato is a hit & Costa remains fit, won't be so bad.

They are probably saving all the money up for the summer.

Its clear, we need a big spend on players, and need a clear out too (which will bring in some money itself). I just hope the club get transfer business right this summer.

Our transfer business hadn't been too bad (Mata, de Bruyne, Oscar, Hazard, Lukaku, Luiz, etc.,) until we appointed the wrong manager for the type of squad the club was building. Then we saw more than decent players sold because they didn't "fit" and what I can only describe as ill-judged panic buys to replace them. Unfortunately they didn't fit either!

We have to ensure that whatever deals may already be being put in place for the summer are not scuppered by appointing the wrong manager again.

21 hours ago, James Prescott said:

The reason Lukaku, Mata and De Bruyne were all allowed to go - and don't think Jose didn't have any role in that - is because Jose didn't believe in them enough to play them. Or, he was too terrified to risk playing them. The guy is a legend,  but there were times when his risk-averseness went way too extreme.

Mata looked a different player under Jose, who picked Oscar over him, which looks a crazy decision now. 

Jesus James. It would certainly not have anything to do with the manager actually picking his best team to try and win football games would it? No, it must be another reason for those players to not play right? 

Think for a change. Managers aren't picking his second best side on purpose. They pick their best side. End of.

The definition of what's the best side may differ depending on the strategy of the club. Considering ours is maximum a few months ahead, you can't really berate any manager for not having a much longer plan in mind. 

Regarding your second paragraph. He looked exactly like he always looked. As he is now at United. £38m was too good to turn down. 

45 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Jesus James. It would certainly not have anything to do with the manager actually picking his best team to try and win football games would it? No, it must be another reason for those players to not play right? 

Think for a change. Managers aren't picking his second best side on purpose. They pick their best side. End of.

The definition of what's the best side may differ depending on the strategy of the club. Considering ours is maximum a few months ahead, you can't really berate any manager for not having a much longer plan in mind. 

Regarding your second paragraph. He looked exactly like he always looked. As he is now at United. £38m was too good to turn down. 

He doesn't look anything like the guy who was twice player of the year, until Jose turned up. And then he moved to United largely under a manager who plays a similar style, which doesn't suit him.

Fact is De Bryune, Lukaku are both potentially world class players well good enough for us. And that Jose couldn't integrate them and give them a chance here is not just their fault. 

You just refuse to accept any argument which might apportion any responsibility to Jose. You cannot accept he can make any mistakes - when he clearly has, despite his record and his quality, made quite a few. Even more so this season.

3 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

He doesn't look anything like the guy who was twice player of the year, until Jose turned up. And then he moved to United largely under a manager who plays a similar style, which doesn't suit him.

Fact is De Bryune, Lukaku are both potentially world class players well good enough for us. And that Jose couldn't integrate them and give them a chance here is not just their fault. 

You just refuse to accept any argument which might apportion any responsibility to Jose. You cannot accept he can make any mistakes - when he clearly has, despite his record and his quality, made quite a few. Even more so this season.

De Bruyne gave it 3 months ffs. Lukaku a few weeks. 

How was JM supposed to integrate them in such a short time period? 

4 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Our transfer business hadn't been too bad (Mata, de Bruyne, Oscar, Hazard, Lukaku, Luiz, etc.,) until we appointed the wrong manager for the type of squad the club was building. Then we saw more than decent players sold because they didn't "fit" and what I can only describe as ill-judged panic buys to replace them. Unfortunately they didn't fit either!

We have to ensure that whatever deals may already be being put in place for the summer are not scuppered by appointing the wrong manager again.

I agree completely.

In hindsight, Jose was probably the wrong man in 2013. We wanted to get back to the top quickly and it was a good fit. 

I genuinely thought Jose could do the long term thing - and I actually beleive the club and Jose himself did at the time. 

But it was clearly the wrong long-term appointment. Though that said, there were few alternatives at the time. 

I think this time we need to find the right profile of manager, someone who is a winner, plays good football and has the courage to blood young players. 

I mean I think Conte is a great choice. I think he would give young players a chance - I mean Roman will make it clear to any new manager that's a priority. 

I can't help but think that someone like Pochettino or Koeman might be more the kind of manager we need. And Koeman would be gettable, and has won league titles in Holland. 

It would be a daring choice. But it could be the right one. 

However, that said, Conte is a top manager and tactically flexible, and would do well. The only question is whether he would blood young players, and use our academy.  It's tough to know to be honest. But having worked his way up the ladder, he's probably more likely to do that.

3 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

De Bruyne gave it 3 months ffs. Lukaku a few weeks. 

How was JM supposed to integrate them in such a short time period? 

They left because they didn't feel he believed in them. They chose to go because they didn't feel wanted or that they would get a fair chance.  And that is partly down to JM.

cam4blue   

Either I've time-travelled to 2014 or the guy who was telling everyone to "move on" in the Jose thread needs to have a word with himself. 

5 hours ago, James Prescott said:

They left because they didn't feel he believed in them. They chose to go because they didn't feel wanted or that they would get a fair chance.  And that is partly down to JM.

We've been through this. De Bruyne started the season as a starter. Lukaku played in 3/4 games before he asked to leave. 

They wanted gurantees. We couldn't give it and neither should we. You earn your right to play, you aren't served it on a plate. 

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Lukaku played in 3/4 games before he asked to leave. 

Lukaku made just 2 sub appearances in the PL for us that season, before departing to Everton, where he then rattled off 29 league starts, racking up 15 goals and 6 assists. The previous season, after the odd pre-season trot out, he was packed off the West Brom for the season, where he made 20 PL starts, and scored 17 goals + 4 assists. The seasons before that (11/12) he'd been given one start on the Prem, and 3 in the LC. All the while we were dallying with the likes of Torres and Eto'o!

I don't think Mourinho was the problem as such, and neither was Lukaku's attitude. The club (and successive managers - including TSO) handled him poorly, and showed no confidence in him, right from the time we bought him. What Lukaku wanted in my opinion, wasn't a guarantee he'd play, just a guarantee that he'd be given a fair shot. And when you say 'he asked to leave', wasn't it that Mourinho offered him the opportunity to go, and he said yes? Pretty sure that's the way it was.