• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Cavani is a good player, I wanted him years ago when we were linked; I just feel like now is a bit late, as he will inevitably continue to decline in his time here (assuming he even starts out great, as it can take time to settle). He also doesn't seem to fit considering we're taking a year out of the CL.

I've said that I think we need to sign an Essien, Ballack and Crespo. 

Cavani isn't consistent enough to be our new Crespo but that being said he might be a decent option to rotate with/join Costa for a year or two.

I still always like to see a proper strike partnership so I hope Conte brings that in.

Holymoly   

Can't help fearing that the Euros are going to throw a big spanner into any rebuilding we intend to do in the summer. These competitions usually result in transfer business being done very late precluding any worthwhile pre-season getting to know you, as well as driving prices even higher as clubs begin to panic.

kratos   

A valid fear holy, but we have managed to fluff around on free summers too.

The club have made this mess for themselves and now they have one chance to get it right.

18 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Can't help fearing that the Euros are going to throw a big spanner into any rebuilding we intend to do in the summer. These competitions usually result in transfer business being done very late precluding any worthwhile pre-season getting to know you, as well as driving prices even higher as clubs begin to panic.

not to mention if conte is our next manager and he guides italy to the later stages he wont start himself till later then ideally possible.

Holymoly   

Maybe we should archive this thread so there is more room in it for the activity between now and August? I sense it might be intense.

xCELERYx   
On 11 March 2016 at 2:40 AM, Holymoly said:

Don't think it will be as decisive as you've touched on. If the club have already signed Conte up, he'd have been doing his homework and drawing up his plans. Which would no doubt be a list of players he wants to offload and to obtain. Others can handle the haggling side of that, as long as the players involved are of the mangers choosing. From there I imagine there will be assistants charged with following a specifically laid out pre-season plan for those not involved in the Euro's. Every club who has players involved in the summer will be hindered to a degree and that will mean disrupted pre-seasons. 

As long as there has been some forward planning taking place and the time between now and the Euro's being used to formulation a desired approach, we'll be fine. The biggest issue with be signing some high profile player's if that is what happens, with some possibly being sorted after their involvement at the Euro's end. I think a lot of the ground work can be done prior though.

You just wait for the customary "I want time to evaluate the players we got". 

How is Conte supposed to have a strong viewpoint on players he rarely seen in the flesh? You think our board will allow wholesale changes from someone who doesn't have first hand experience of those players? 

I think it is important to set a realistic expectation of what is about to happen. We will have a few players signed but nowhere near what the fans would want. Very few players will leave us (which given the squad size is a good thing I suppose) and next season will be about trying to muster an assault for a credible top four challenge. If Conte fails with that, he'll he gone within his first season. 

It'll be several seasons until we are where Mourinho got us. Both the winning mentality from his first spell (that's virtually gone now) but also where he got us only 12 months ago. We may challenge for a domestic cup, but league and CL are completely unrealistic for the next couple of seasons at least. 

Holymoly   

Mark my words, we are at risk of becoming Liverpool. Once Terry goes we are left with a collection of leaderless players with no motivatiion for the club to succeed. I would argue that lack of leadership now extends well into the backroom too.

What won us the Champions League wasn't a fantastic team (there were better in the competition), nor was it a great manager. Rather it was a group ethic of we ARE Chelsea and we ARE going to win this trophy notwithstanding that we've got half a team either injured or suspended.

That is gone. Forget about it, we won't see it again. It's now all about money and even more short-termism. Winning will beget more winning but woe betide the club if the points dry up, mercenaries will pack up and move on. I'm not sure any manager will have enough time at the beginning of his tenure to setup a squad capable of getting through a season with any degree of success. And the longer we go without Champions League football the harder it will become to attract "franchise" players.

To do well in the Premier League requires a club ethic now (look at Leicester West Ham and Spurs). If we just try to ladle big name players into the squad without that foundation then this is what happens. Implosion when the going gets tough. Recrimination and blame. That is why I honestly believe that the first step is to appoint a manager who could be described as Mr Chelsea to oversee the building of this brave new world. Who, Mark Hughes. Hopefully he would be able to blend a group of players into a team that could stop us from becoming Liverpool.

/shudder.

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

You just wait for the customary "I want time to evaluate the players we got". 

How is Conte supposed to have a strong viewpoint on players he rarely seen in the flesh? You think our board will allow wholesale changes from someone who doesn't have first hand experience of those players? 

I think it is important to set a realistic expectation of what is about to happen. We will have a few players signed but nowhere near what the fans would want. Very few players will leave us (which given the squad size is a good thing I suppose) and next season will be about trying to muster an assault for a credible top four challenge. If Conte fails with that, he'll he gone within his first season. 

It'll be several seasons until we are where Mourinho got us. Both the winning mentality from his first spell (that's virtually gone now) but also where he got us only 12 months ago. We may challenge for a domestic cup, but league and CL are completely unrealistic for the next couple of seasons at least. 

Don't think seeing players in the flesh is that big of a deal. There's surely enough evidence to form a solid view point from game footage with a lot of our players. The main ones that will need to be seen in the flesh will be some of the fringe players and younger talents who haven't quite had the first team exposure. The rest though is there for all to see. Given how Conte worked at Juve, he won't take long to evaluate his players. He's very specific. If his key areas aren't delivered upon, said player/s are out the door. No time wasted.

I think only those who believe in unicorns will be the ones believing for instant change and results. Those with some actual perspective will understand our problems aren't fixable in a transfer window or a single season. This is a job that is going to take 2-3 seasons to really turn everyone on it's head and have the change required. Depending how much business we can do this summer, it could be anywhere from drastic upheaval to some more realistic additions and sales. 

Mourinho matters little. As good as he was, there were also many negative points that dragged us back down as a club. Great for short term profit but not the approach and mentality needed for a project. As fond as I am of the man, I'm also glad he's gone, to a degree. Hopefully there's a few players that also follow suit in the summer, a good starting point being Oscar and Remy. And hopefully some sense prevails and Terry remains.