• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

3 hours ago, Gormangorman said:

But slightly worrying that he is the one player Roma are willing to get rid off instead of the players Chelsea actually want from them.

Everything is speculation and rumour-mongering at the moment. We don't know who Chelsea actually 'want' from Roma, if any. We certainly don't know who the club are negotiating with. I'm not really sure what there is to be worried about, tbh.

Its early, very rarely do we make moves this early. We all know how much or rather how little the press really know in silly season. I fully expect messi, ronaldo, bale and pogba to be here in august. I read it somewhere.

xCELERYx   
7 hours ago, Gormangorman said:

Yes he looks a decent propostion.

But slightly worrying that he is the one player Roma are willing to get rid off instead of the players Chelsea actually want from them.

Again, it's not the case at all. A little research and you'll see exactly why Roma are happy to sell Rudiger.

He only just joined Roma permanently after spending the season on loan. The clause in the loan allowed Roma to buy him cheaply and they took up that option. Given he's been the the club for a single season, he isn't a key player like Nainggolan, Pjanic or Manolas. They're also able to make a significant profit on a player which goes towards potentially being able to keep a hold of the aforementioned.

Nainggolan has an affection to Roma and Italy, where his family has lived for 11 years, and thus has expressed his desire to stay. Pjanic is in a similar boat where he's also happy to remain at Roma, however he also has a release clause which if someone comes in and activates, Roma can do nothing about. As for Manolas, he had only joined recently from Olympiakos also. The sticking point with him is the clauses in his contract. Roma only purchased 50% of his rights and would need to pay another €6.5m to purchase the remaining 50%. However, if Roma sell him by the 1st of September then Olympiakos would be entitled to half of whatever that transfer fee is, not the €6.5m. So in effect, there is no incentive for Roma to sell as they'd lose out considerably.

In short, Rudiger is expandable and easily replaceable. Therefore the logical option to let go.

From the reports I'm seeing we might be getting Rudiger and Koulibaby - both of whom are excellent young defenders. If that's the case either we're selling Cahill, playing three at the back, or JT is playing an even smaller role than we thought playing wise. Admit we do need strengthening at CB, but not more than one - though I wouldn't be against selling Cahill, though it would be bad from a home grown perspective. However, if we signed Lukaku, he counts as home grown so that would deal with that issue. 

Naiinggolan is really issuing a come and get me plea, in my view. I gotta say a midfield three of Kante, Fabregas and Nainggolan would be pretty great. 

But again, it comes down to what formation Conte is going to use. He can play 4-4-2, 4-2-4, 4-3-3, 3-5-2 and has done in the past. If he is playing two up top, then where does Hazard figure in the 3-5-2 (unless he adapts it to 3-4-1-2 with Hazard in the number 10 role)? And if we have Fabregas, Kante and Nainggolan where do they figure in a midfield 4 given one would have to play wide?

Of course, this is all hypothetical. We've signed no one as yet, so nothing is confirmed. But I'm interested to see what Conte's tactical plan is, and how the players we sign fit with that.

10 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I'm not sure that Vardy's gone anywhere yet, has he? So far all I've read is about Arsenal's interest in him, and the fact that they're apparently prespared to meet his buy-out figure. Nothing about him actually signing anything, and no comments from Vardy. I seriously doubt that Claudio is anything other than mildly amused at this stage of things. I'd also be pretty sure that Claudio has factored the potential loss of Vardy, Kante, etc., into his planning for next season, some time ago.

Claudio was on Italian media and asked about the Vardy stuff - "It's all true" he said. Quotes are online, just google it, they're around.

So I think it's happening.

Harvz   
6 hours ago, zaffo said:

Again, it's not the case at all. A little research and you'll see exactly why Roma are happy to sell Rudiger.

He only just joined Roma permanently after spending the season on loan. The clause in the loan allowed Roma to buy him cheaply and they took up that option. Given he's been the the club for a single season, he isn't a key player like Nainggolan, Pjanic or Manolas. They're also able to make a significant profit on a player which goes towards potentially being able to keep a hold of the aforementioned.

Nainggolan has an affection to Roma and Italy, where his family has lived for 11 years, and thus has expressed his desire to stay. Pjanic is in a similar boat where he's also happy to remain at Roma, however he also has a release clause which if someone comes in and activates, Roma can do nothing about. As for Manolas, he had only joined recently from Olympiakos also. The sticking point with him is the clauses in his contract. Roma only purchased 50% of his rights and would need to pay another €6.5m to purchase the remaining 50%. However, if Roma sell him by the 1st of September then Olympiakos would be entitled to half of whatever that transfer fee is, not the €6.5m. So in effect, there is no incentive for Roma to sell as they'd lose out considerably.

In short, Rudiger is expandable and easily replaceable. Therefore the logical option to let go.

My eyes, my eyes!!! Don't let the truth get in the way of good conjecture ;)

More seriously, I knew the Rudiger part but not the background on Manolas. Thanks for the info.

35 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Claudio was on Italian media and asked about the Vardy stuff - "It's all true" he said. Quotes are online, just google it, they're around.

So I think it's happening.

Sorry, but I still don't see any confirmation from anyone actually involved that Vardy has signed - nothing official from Vardy, Arsenal, or Leicester. That was my point, really. All of this may well be taking place and I agree that it's 'probably' happening, but as I pointed out (not a startling revelation on my part, either, tbh), Claudio will have factored all this into his planning for next season. The likes of Vardy, Kante, and Mahrez were all more likely to go, than stay, and nobody knew that better than Claudio.

Sciatika   

The Vardy thing seems odd to me. I think this will affect Leicester but less than if they were losing Mahrez or Kante. But I am having difficulty seeing how he will fit in at Arsenal. Vardy on the wing? Or up front in a two with Sanchez or Giroud? Has Wenger decided to do counter-attacking football all of a sudden? Don't get it.

xCELERYx   
39 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

From the reports I'm seeing we might be getting Rudiger and Koulibaby - both of whom are excellent young defenders.

Naiinggolan is really issuing a come and get me plea, in my view. I gotta say a midfield three of Kante, Fabregas and Nainggolan would be pretty great. 

Rudiger certainly isn't "excellent". He's got some ability, a lot of it physically, but his defending itself is questionable. 

Koulibaly, I'll agree is a good young player who has been fairly impressive since joining Napoli. Strong in the air and comfortable with the ball at feet. However, for anyone who got their panties in a bunch over David Luiz trying to dribble out from the back or trying to beat a man, those same people will likely dislike Koulibaly's game. He'll also need to minimise the bookings he gets. 

If you followed Italian football at all then you'd full well know Nainggolan isn't pushing for any move. He's had chances to leave before and he's always been loyal to staying at Roma. What he's said this time around about being uninterested in a move is no different from past years. As he said in the last day or so, he's happy at Roma and unless Roma and Chelsea reach an agreement he'll be staying right out of it. 

11 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

The Vardy thing seems odd to me. I think this will affect Leicester but less than if they were losing Mahrez or Kante. But I am having difficulty seeing how he will fit in at Arsenal. Vardy on the wing? Or up front in a two with Sanchez or Giroud? Has Wenger decided to do counter-attacking football all of a sudden? Don't get it.

Franny Jeffers Mark II

Fox in the box