• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Really hope we can manage to close out a deal for Kante. He reminds me of Essien and is capable of dominating a midfield on his own. Hope we pull out all the stops for him. 

Stim   
11 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

FFS, the transfer window has barely opened!  All this doom 'n' gloom is based on nothing more that a bunch of (usually conflicting) media speculation. People need to get a grip.

I agree

But what lingers in the back of my mind is I thought the same thing last year

It's only going to get worse because I think we will wait til after Italy get knocked out of the euros to announce deals so a lot of media speculation to come. Then once Conte is actually at Cobham the longer it takes the more rapidly will people get restless

paulw66   
8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Without doubt? Hate to be the one to bring this up (again), but so far 'our lack of CL football' hasn't cost us any player at all. Unless you can name a player who we've actually bid on, and then missed out on, only to have the player confirm that his signing with that other club was down to our lack of CL football?

No? Thought not.

I'm not saying that a lack of CL football won't cost us somewhere down the line, because yes, it may do. But that hasn't happened yet, so why don't we wait and see what actually happens, instead of jumping the gun and over-reacting to what is nothing more than newspaper spec and internet chatter?

MT - one of the few sane voices left hear. 

June 6th. It gets worse every year. Fully expect complaints about lack of signings to emerge next season within a few hours of the final whistle of the CL final 

xCELERYx   
42 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

MT - one of the few sane voices left hear. 

June 6th. It gets worse every year. Fully expect complaints about lack of signings to emerge next season within a few hours of the final whistle of the CL final 

Modern society, people are more and more impatient. 

I'm sure if we made signings we'd still see a portion complain because they aren't the sort of player they wish to see. 

Edited by zaffo
corrected some horrid grammar

Sea foot   

Or you'd get people complaining the we are rushing into things. 

Or we win the league one season and people try to claim it's not progress to finishing 3rd the season before. 

There's crazy people everywhere. 

Holymoly   
20 hours ago, Dingus said:

Paying the price for no CL and having a manager involved in the Euros.

I know it's early June but doesn't really bode well does it?

Really hope the board are happy with what they achieved last season by not spending. Could have massive effects for a good few years now.

Maybe a little soon to say I told you so. but I told you so.

Holymoly   
14 hours ago, WHYSOSLOWYEH said:

Like I've already said, no European football =no big names

play for pep or Jose= good chance of signing big players

play for conte = nah, same problem utd had with moyes in charge

I agree. I said this at the end of the season. We have two options as I see it.

1. Pay outrageous wages to a bunch of mercenaries with no affinity to the club as they know they will just move on when a better offer comes in, or

2. Order the scouts to actually scout and don't just table the same old names everyone else is. We need to recreate another core of players that we can build a club around like we did ten years ago. If you opt for short termism then you are just plastering over a gaping wound which will eventually open up every close season.

I'm so angry as this situation rose entirely due to us resting on our laurels almost literally after we won the league. What other side in modern times has been guilty of not strengthening a winning squad?

We have zero chance of making top 4 next season, due in part to the Euros, part due to the manager being otherwise engaged, but mainly because the club seems petrified of stripping the rubbish out of the squad and starting again. Add to that the danger that we won't do much business early because no player wants to come to a club with no European football, then we will be ripped apart by late departures and we are unable to replace them in time.

Roman, deal with this situation FFS!

kratos   

We have been guilty of this for years.

2007 needed strenghening after losing the title but all we got were Malouda, Belletti and the 3 bosmans who were gone after a year.

2008 Deco and Bos and a huge waste of time chasing Robinho.

2010 released 6 players and only bought 2 in Benayoun and Ramires. Had to panic buy in January.

2011 left it too late, managed to get Mata but all other moves were unrealistic or underwhelming.

2015 one of the most quiet summers I have ever known. Somebody thought it would be a great idead to go into the season with a broken loan player and then panic buy in august.

2016...stay tuned.

11 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

2. Order the scouts to actually scout and don't just table the same old names everyone else is.

Actually the two periods we were very successful in buying players we actually bought the same old names as everyone else wanted but just paid more.  When we bought the likes of Drogba, Robben, Cech, Essien, Carvalho, all these players were high up on everyone's list - we just jumped the market and prices went up because we outbid everyone else.

The same happened when we bought all those Benelux players, Lukaku, Courtois, KdB, Hazard all close together, and again many were  looking but no one else was prepared to up the bidding.  SAF was quite clear that he wanted Hazard but the price (and specifically the agents fee) was too high.

Sadly this year there will be many teams as desperate to buy quality players as we are, and I don't think we can rely on teams such as Leicester, Southampton and Spurs to be suppliers of quality to the big clubs any more - they will all expect to be substantial net buyers.