• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Subjective. Had a decent goal return last season. Players like him need 12 months to adjust to the PL 

Seriously? Have you watched Pedro over the last years in Spain? I did. And I had high expectations from him, only to be surprised about his performances. He can do much, much more. 

Zoowraa   

The more I see of Hysaj the more I like him. He would be a fantastic addition and looks perfect for for Conte team. Playing most of his senior career in Italy means Conte will know of him too. Here's hoping we might go for him, though Napoli and De Laurentis are a nightmare to deal with!

31 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

The more I see of Kante, the more I think he would be the perfect player to pair with Fabregas. We are desperate for a player like him. 

Having watched the two France games- I know Pogba is everybody's dream signing but I couldn't help thinking that Matuidi or Kante are more what we are screaming out for in midfield. And available for less than half the price I would guess. That is not based just on those games, I know Pogba is fantastic, but mixed with the first Italy game it shows that star players are not the be all and end all. We already have some star players to do the creative bits what we really need is a 'unit' incorporating them and adding some industry, that is my memory of Chelsea at our best in the last decade. We had our own style that wasn't tiki-taka but it was ruthless, efficient, succesful and represented us perfectly.

1 hour ago, terry_john said:

Having watched the two France games- I know Pogba is everybody's dream signing but I couldn't help thinking that Matuidi or Kante are more what we are screaming out for in midfield. And available for less than half the price I would guess. That is not based just on those games, I know Pogba is fantastic, but mixed with the first Italy game it shows that star players are not the be all and end all. We already have some star players to do the creative bits what we really need is a 'unit' incorporating them and adding some industry, that is my memory of Chelsea at our best in the last decade. We had our own style that wasn't tiki-taka but it was ruthless, efficient, succesful and represented us perfectly.

I would agree. Pogba is a good player and will undoubtedly get better. However, given the tournament is being held in France, there is not just great pressure on the home side, but on him in particular, to deliver. I can't help but feel that pressure may be getting to him. If he has an average tournament, he won't be the first so-called "super star" to do so. On the whole, Cristiano Ronaldo has been quite average for Portugal in World Cups or European Championships... certainly nowhere close to the player who scores for fun for Real Madrid.

Given the costs involved (even if he were to entertain the thought of playing for Chelsea) the money would indeed be better spent on his two midfield partners. However, I think only Kante is genuinely getable. I can't see PSG selling Matuidi.

Holymoly   
7 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Cristiano Ronaldo has been quite average for Portugal in World Cups or European Championships... certainly nowhere close to the player who scores for fun for Real Madrid.

By and large in those competitions he is playing against teams that are trying to beat him. In Spain, a handful of games aside they are the equivalent of pre-season friendlies.

17 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

... according to The Express, who also claim we've tried to off-load Fabregas to Real Madrid but they weren't interested. I wouldn't take too much notice of such articles!

I've always found it strange reading stories of Clubs offering their players to another Club. Make it known in circles that they would welcome offers sure, but always get the image of officials knocking on the door of Madrid/whoever and saying 'excuse me sir, do you want to buy our player' randomly out of the blue.

That wasn't a challenge to what you posted Bob, just the scenario.

RE Pedro, I had really high hopes for him last season, thought he would be one of the signings of the summer. It hasn't gone quite as expected but then again I would imagine he would have performed better if the team in general had. Hope he stays this season and settles in a bit more

12 hours ago, Ibn Battuta said:

The more I see of Kante, the more I think he would be the perfect player to pair with Fabregas. We are desperate for a player like him. 

11 hours ago, terry_john said:

Having watched the two France games- I know Pogba is everybody's dream signing but I couldn't help thinking that Matuidi or Kante are more what we are screaming out for in midfield.

Agree with this. 

He is my dream signing this window. For me Kante is the number one priority with an extra CB and striker as number 2 on my list.  

34 minutes ago, DaviesCFC said:

I've always found it strange reading stories of Clubs offering their players to another Club. Make it known in circles that they would welcome offers sure, but always get the image of officials knocking on the door of Madrid/whoever and saying 'excuse me sir, do you want to buy our player' randomly out of the blue.

That wasn't a challenge to what you posted Bob, just the scenario.

RE Pedro, I had really high hopes for him last season, thought he would be one of the signings of the summer. It hasn't gone quite as expected but then again I would imagine he would have performed better if the team in general had. Hope he stays this season and settles in a bit more

I knew that without you needing to say it ;-)

Zoowraa   

I'm getting greedy and want Kante, Hysaj, Badelj and a striker. I agree that Kante would have the biggest  impact and is the priority.

Ref any potential new CB, if we are going to be potentially playing some games with three at the back. What do people think about Azpilicueta as a CB ? Not the typical CB build, but I think he could adapt to this position in a three. He is very good in one on one situations and reads the game well, defends well without going to ground often. His lack of height is a potential weakness up against more physical target men, but not too many of these players around these days.

I think this could be a potential option and if so, it makes us lock potentially well stocked at CB as I struggle to see Brana being considered at RB under Conte. I would argue a quality attacking RB might be required more.