• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

chelboy   

I think Terry would be more suited to a back 3 than a back 4. A back 3 would give him less work to do and less running. I would play him inbetween the 2 CB's and have the other 2 CB playing as sweeper. If we get another CB than we would have 5 CB options available. That should be enough. Could always throw Azpi there as last resort. Wingbacks are already sorted of Curadado stays..  Kennedy/Baba/Azpi on the left,  Willian/Cuardado/Azpi on the right. Luckily for Conte our team is quite flexible. I think many players will play up to 2 positions at least.

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, chelboy said:

I think Terry would be more suited to a back 3 than a back 4. A back 3 would give him less work to do and less running. I would play him inbetween the 2 CB's and have the other 2 CB playing as sweeper. If we get another CB than we would have 5 CB options available. That should be enough. Could always throw Azpi there as last resort. Wingbacks are already sorted of Curadado stays..  Kennedy/Baba/Azpi on the left,  Willian/Cuardado/Azpi on the right. Luckily for Conte our team is quite flexible. I think many players will play up to 2 positions at least.

A back 3 gives the CB's more responsibility. They have to not only cover the central areas but also be good enough to spread wider to provide an outlet. In effect, there's more work involved off the ball than there is in a regular 2 CB pairing. Putting Terry isn't a back three would increase his work, just in different ways. 

That said, I don't think Terry is a concern for us. He'll still be a dependable option like in years gone by. He may not play every game, but his main qualities still remain. 

For all the calls here, we're missing out on two very important but fundamental points:

1. Conte plays just 2 CMs because his system is so tight it allows CBs to do the passing. Our problem used to be depth at that position. It's not anymore: With Fabregas a lock as the playmaker, you have all other midfielders vying for the spot beside him. So CM is not a problem.

2. A look at the important positions in this system shows you immediately what we lack to play it: WINGBACKS!

Assuming our CBs are good enough at this passing malarkey, we still need at least 4 players that can bomb up and down the pitch for 90 minutes and both attack and defend properly.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't add at least two of the Mauricio Isla type players. And that's assuming Baba and Dave live up to Conte's expectations.
(Eden will never play Wingback. He's likely to be one of the striker pair, IMO)

paulw66   
10 minutes ago, Chelsea'Til_IDie said:

For all the calls here, we're missing out on two very important but fundamental points:

1. Conte plays just 2 CMs because his system is so tight it allows CBs to do the passing. Our problem used to be depth at that position. It's not anymore: With Fabregas a lock as the playmaker, you have all other midfielders vying for the spot beside him. So CM is not a problem.

2. A look at the important positions in this system shows you immediately what we lack to play it: WINGBACKS!

Assuming our CBs are good enough at this passing malarkey, we still need at least 4 players that can bomb up and down the pitch for 90 minutes and both attack and defend properly.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't add at least two of the Mauricio Isla type players. And that's assuming Baba and Dave live up to Conte's expectations.
(Eden will never play Wingback. He's likely to be one of the striker pair, IMO)

I am slightly lost here.

If you are suggesting we are going to play 3-5-2, then I understand the need for wing backs, but that contradicts the "2 CM" argument, because there would be a need for 3. 

If we are playing 4-2-4 or 4-4-2 then the full backs are full backs, not wing backs. 

kratos   

If 424 is the formation then I do have a concern with Fabregas, he could still find himself exposed again like last season even if its not 4231.

Having a partner who can run may help that but what if said partner gets injured or suspended? We have seen how frail we are with Matic or Mikel (or even both together) alongside him.

56 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Seems like we need a new thread to discuss formations...

You can bet that if one is started, it will include just as much transfer speculation as this thread contains discussions on formations :-)

• Like 1

Chelsea won't be playing 3-5-2... it won't work ..formations , tactics etc will depend on the opposition. I do think we may end up playing the diamond and maybe 4231

life   

Apparently we have offered 40 mill for andre gomes and it got turned down.

Andre is a top player but 40 mill is way too much.

On the bright side, we finally seem to be making huge moves

Edited by life

Zoowraa   
4 hours ago, Uber Robben said:

Does anyone else think that Sissoko could be a much cheaper and viable option if we miss out on Nainggolan?

looks really impressive for France this summer and when he turned it on for Newcastle he was easily their best player.

I think it would have to be a value based transfer for me. For around £10 million max he could be a useful acquisition , but I don't rate him that highly personally. Fantastic athlete and great ball carrier from one end of the pitch to the other, but I think he is technically limited and for a player who gets into good scoring positions, he does not find the target that often.

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

If people were frustrated by Ramires, they will have the same, or worse issues with Sissoko. That said, for a knock down price, he could be an option. 

I agree with this. He is probably a little better with the ball at his feet than Ramires, but I think it's fairly marginal between them. He is not a player who we should be targeting , but I can see the logic of having him in the squad if can do a late deal at a decent price if he is still at Newcastle.