Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

34,077 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, zaffo said:

433 isn't a more suitable formation either. We'd face the exact same issues we've seen in the past because we lack genuine wide players to play with wingers, and we don't have suitable players to play further up field in an "inside forward" sort of role. Effectively, everything will just continue to be forced through a congested central zone and end up super narrow. And if the solution to our midfield  is to play Oscar as a "box-to-box" then we deserve to be overrun by sides.

Thankfully, I don't see Conte being that daft and he'll move away from the very tired looking 433.

Hazard and Willian aren't wide players? They are not wingers? That's a very odd statement. I'd say wingers is exactly what they are. What we lack is attacking full backs to provide support. 

What about Pedro? Kenedy? Really don't get your comment at all.

Which formation do you want? 352? Talk about square pegs in round holes. No WBs, poor CBs, virtually no midfield and only one top striker. 

Edited by Sleeping Dave

22 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

It's fine guys, apparently we're going to sign Messi - panic over. The Sun have said it so it must be true.

Not as far fetched as you might think. Messi in, Hazard out? After last season I'm sure it has been discussed. 

16 hours ago, sebcfc said:

If, and this is a big if, this is true and City somehow agree a fee with Juve and it is not completely outrageous, I fully expect us to pull a Willian on City and step in. I am certain that Bonucci if faced with a choice would choose is ahead of City because of Conte and London. 

We can only hope on this. But I agree with you. If Juventus agree to sell him (I think it's impossible), Chelsea should come calling and match any offer City have made. I think Bonucci would prefer to come with Conte. 

5 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Hazard and Willian aren't wide players? They are not wingers? That's a very odd statement. I'd say wingers is exactly what they are. What we lack is attacking full backs to provide support. 

What about Pedro? Kenedy? Really don't get your comment at all.

Which formation do you want? 352? Talk about square pegs in round holes. No WBs, poor CBs, virtually no midfield and only one top striker. 

Neither are traditional wingers either. In fact, both are attacking midfielders who just happen to be versatile enough to play in wider areas, but spend most of their time in the central corridor. 

I said we lack genuine wide players, not that we don't have any altogether. Both Kenedy and Pedro are our best winger type players because they're direct and maintain their width. Pedro also is suited to playing that inside forward role because of his goal scoring ability and movement off the ball. 

Once again, we'd be back in the same boat we've seen for awhile where everything would be forced down the middle of the pitch. Having attacking fullbacks would help, but doesn't solve the ultimate issue either. Again, just goes to show how the 433 isn't the most ideal formation either because of what we lack to really make it fully effective.

352 would be good, but won't happen immediately because of the overhaul needed being too drastic for one transfer window. I believe we'll see it played now and again, but I think Conte will go with his 424/442 variation for the most part, maybe a little 433 of some sort. At the end of the day our squad has too many holes at present for it to fit perfectly within certain framework, so regardless of what Conte goes with there is going to be players who are playing positions and or roles that aren't best suited to their skill set. What he'll do is make sure if that is the case, it's done in a way where such players are still able to be contributing pieces to the overall team.

I'm sorry zaffo but I completely disagree. Neither Hazard not Willian are only moving in the central corridor. Hazard is the ultimate winger hugging his line quite often. He occasionally drifts in, when the situation presents itself. But he's been tried as a #10 and he's half the player in the middle compared to out wide. Completely disagree with you on this one. 

Willian has also been used as a #10 but that isn't his position either. If you're talking about Andrei Kanchelski type wingers then there is no wingers left in the world. 

Full backs overlapping Willian and Hazard is exactly what we lack imo. If that option isn't there, it's natural for the winger to drift centrally to look for other options. It's the only option left when the oppo double teams Hazard and Willian. 

352 on the other hand is built to be more congested in the middle, and the WBs would often face two opponents anyways. Can't see how that solves your perceived issue at all. I can see how we could become even more central though playing that formation.

And if you don't like 433 because we have no wingers (not sure why that's an issue of that was the case, we need more fluid players on either side of Costa in that formation and I think Hazard and Willian are perfect fits for that), how can you then think 424/442 solves any problems? 

can't see your line of thinking here. 

Edit: and really, what's the difference between 424 & 4231? One striker being more withdrawn? All the issues we had last season would still be there - weak midfield and slow back four. 

Edited by Sleeping Dave

That is a point, the old school winger who hugged the line just isn't there anymore.

The last ones we had were Damian Duff and Gronkjear if I remember correctly.

I get what Zaffo is saying but if Conte does go with 2 strikers I can see both Willian and Hazard doing that job of supplying the bullets from wide positions. 

20 minutes ago, kratos said:

That is a point, the old school winger who hugged the line just isn't there anymore.

Correct, it isn't. And even if it was then it wouldn't be Hazard or Willian that's for damn sure.

Does anyone here watch enough of PSG to know if Marquinhos is any good? Based on the games against us last season he got up and down the right flank all game and was good at both ends. We've  been consistently linked with him, could potentially be cover for cb, rb and rwb. My only concern would be we need more experience but would be interested to hear the views of anybody that has seen more of him. Also sounds like he would be up for a transfer away from psg.