• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

9 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Agreed. Chalobah or Mikel as "the Makelele", Fabregas or Oscar as "the Lampard" and Kante or Matic as "the Essien".

I'd have Chalobah above Mikel... he's a far better passer of the ball than Mikel, also better at closing down, too, so (depending on the opposition/state of the game) you could essentially have two Essien type players in Chalobah and Kanté alongside Cesc.

ripz   

I'm surprised we haven't been linked with any good full backs, surely we can't go into the season with just Ivan,Azpi and Aina? Shame we haven't punted Mikel also, Chalobah can easily take his place. Let's see what the next couple of weeks bring, would love to get Koulibaly in and a FB.

life   
1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Absolutely priceless. Maybe you can ask Nemanja for Antonio's number and ask him directly yourself. And if not Nemanja, perhaps his good friend and confidant, Di Marzio.

We aren't going to sign all the players so many here are convinced we desperately need. It just isn't going to happen. It hasn't happened any other summer for nigh-on a decade and there's absolutely no reason to believe that is suddenly going to change. Some of that may be not being willing (or able) to spend the money on what is available, as much of it will simply be that the people that make the decisions (and I've been assured by plenty here that will definitely be Conte because he wouldn't agree to be paid millions of pounds otherwise) don't agree we need all these players.

Why will I ask matic? Why is di marzio a matic confidant? You're attempt at being clever is very silly/immature considering I never implied any of those. 

You didn't even answer the question. Why do you feel Conte agrees with you? That's what you implied, so why?

The question isn't even about millions we would spend, you are going somewhere else completely.

A few said defence is good enough and blame depth and I remember you claimed by adding Kante will help fix defence. However defence is still as poor as ever a everyone can see it. We are talking about poor defence. Not money or whether we would buy. If the club choose not to support and improve the team for the manager. Then it will cost us....again....

But claiming defence is all fine/blaming it on depth is a bit crazy to me. Seeing as you can't see what imo a majority sees. If you feel ivanovic,cahill and near 36 year old Terry are ok, that's fine, it's your opinion, but you cannot expect us to not be confused by your opinion when we defend like that.

GURJ SS   
1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

If we play a 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1 I'd rather have Chalobah as the more defensive of the 3 central midfielders with Kanté the pressing, box-to-box player and either Cesc or Oscar as the "playmaker"

I agree, at the moment I would go with Chalobah, Kante and Oscar.

27 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

The problem is, if Matic gets benched in favour of Chalobah you provoke him and risk him wanting to leave or at least be disgruntled. I know he 'owes' us after last season but when you supposedly have Real Madrid and Juventus knocking on your door (with first team football at Juventus) I wouldn't want to stick around and play second fiddle to Chalobah (handful of substitute appearances at Napoli). 

I still believe in Matic and would much rather have him in the team than not. I think he deserves a fair crack at a redemption under Conte and only if he fluffs that would I promote Chalobah over him.

xCELERYx   
4 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

Looks better on paper.

A lot of our defensive issues so far in pre-season have come from our midfield being careless in possession, particularly when it comes to passing efficiency. Fabregas is the sole efficient user of the ball and understands the importance of ball retention. It's Oscar's weakest point along with his decision making, Matic isn't all that great either at times, and Kante gets away with it more because of his athletic ability to recover.

I've said it before, but it's crucial this is addressed because of the way the system changes when with/without the ball, and the positions certain players have to take up. Give the ball up and the central defenders get exposed and we're soft through the middle because the wide players aren't able to offer that added support by tucking inside.

One of the biggest strengths of a Conte side is through that corridor down the middle. He'll often let the opposition have the ball in wider areas because with such a strong core it's hard to get through, be it in the air; due to the nature of CB's he prefers. And on the ground, because of the bodies protecting the space. 

While we need a CB and a LB, they need to be the right sort of players. There's absolutely zero point in just signing any sort of player when they will lack the qualities that really help set up the side. 

21 hours ago, Alan Conway said:

I know you could argue that there are still 3 weeks left before the window shuts. But I am getting a little concerned we haven't yet addressed the defensive situation. 

Keep the faith

I suspect all of the clubs transfer activities will be concluded this week starting with a meeting today between Conte, Roman and Marina on who stays, who goes and transfer targets.

^ Who knows what we're doing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pogba move set some other deals in motion now. Perhaps Matic leaving for Juventus is what needs to happen for anyone to come in here?

I expect a signing or two, but wouldn't be surprised if they're not players with been linked with and not in the positions many here want. We won't be signing in all the positions we could do with; that hasn't happened since Roman first came in.

13 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

^ Who knows what we're doing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pogba move set some other deals in motion now. Perhaps Matic leaving for Juventus is what needs to happen for anyone to come in here?

I expect a signing or two, but wouldn't be surprised if they're not players with been linked with and not in the positions many here want. We won't be signing in all the positions we could do with; that hasn't happened since Roman first came in.

The purchases this week will probably tell us if Conte is selecting the players or its business as usual with the Cronies selections through a database

9 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

You are probably right. If we are to play a 433 (I'm really hoping this is what we'll end up using) we only really look short at FB, CB and perhaps another winger type. 

A dream scenario would have been a pacey full back who's good both going forward but also defending. We are absolutely screaming out for a pacey and athletic CB who can be partnered with both JT and Zouma. Cahill for me is not a bad defender, he's just slightly above average. His way of defending (typical English throwing himself about making last ditch tackles) may look pleasing to the eye but his tendency to back off and back off until he's in Courtois lap is really annoying the hell out of me. Couple that with Ivan's tendency to do the same at RB and that's is putting the defence under immense pressure every time. 

Finally, a winger/second striker type a la Griezmann would have been exactly what the doctor ordered as far as I'm concerned. Naturally that will only remain a dream. 

Imagine:

--------Courtois

RB--CB--Terry--Azpilicueta

--Kante--Matic--Fabregas

Griezmann-Costa-Hazard

If the RB and CB was of sufficient quality, that is a starting XI we could be proud of and that's good enough to compare with the very best.