• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Evening Standard reporting that Santos officials are in London to discuss Maia with us and that we're confident we'll get Koulibaly. Personally, I don't know much about Maia so don't know if he'll be loaned or go straight into the first team - if he does go into the first team then surely one CM is shipping out? - as for Koulibaly £50m seems a lot but at this point I just want another CB I don't care what it costs. 

*sorry for the lack of a link my IPad won't let me paste it in. 

3 minutes ago, Alec_Cobas said:

Maybe some of us, included me, won't pay that money for Pogba or Stones, but at least they get their targets. We have been trying for Nainggolan, Koulibaly, Lukaku... And they are still in another teams. 

There' still time left, but Chelsea have a problem these days. Lack of ambition, lack of money... But the problem is obvious. The people who are responsable for build a squad don't know what the hell are doing for a few years now. Last summer was a complete disaster and this time We have made two signings (one amazing) but we need much more to be on level with City and United.

Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta and Hector to start the season next monday. Says it all. 

For the sake of perspective...

Pogba - Both the player and the "selling" club were open to a deal being done for the right price
Stones - Both the player and the "selling" club were open to a deal being done for the right price*

Nainggolan - Neither player nor club were open to a deal being done no matter the price
Koulibally - Unsettled player willing to move, but a club wishing to show it still has the upper hand, especially now it doesn't need the money following Higuain's departure
Lukaku - Everton have admitted we've not been in contact, let alone made a bid (which underlines how deceitful previous newspaper stories of bids being rejected were) Are we indeed interested, or is it just newspaper talk?

* Last season was a different matter... it seems we received some encouragement from Everton to put in a bid, but once it went public they (primarily Martinez) shut us down. Had we kept quiet and made a sensible (in Everton's eyes) opening offer, we may have got him. Different manager, different owner, different season, different circumstances.

5 minutes ago, sebcfc said:

Evening Standard reporting that Santos officials are in London to discuss Maia with us and that we're confident we'll get Koulibaly. Personally, I don't know much about Maia so don't know if he'll be loaned or go straight into the first team - if he does go into the first team then surely one CM is shipping out? - as for Koulibaly £50m seems a lot but at this point I just want another CB I don't care what it costs. 

*sorry for the lack of a link my IPad won't let me paste it in. 

Am I the only who remember that the papers said the same about Stones last summer? Chelsea were confident of signing him... and we signed Djilobodji. 

BlueFizz   
18 minutes ago, Alec_Cobas said:

but at least they get their targets

That's right - the transfer window is now closed.

And we didn't sign Kante or Batshuayi.

Edited by BlueFizz

2 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

For the sake of perspective...

Pogba - Both the player and the "selling" club were open to a deal being done for the right price
Stones - Both the player and the "selling" club were open to a deal being done for the right price*

Nainggolan - Neither player nor club were open to a deal being done no matter the price
Koulibally - Unsettled player willing to move, but a club wishing to show it still has the upper hand, especially now it doesn't need the money following Higuain's departure
Lukaku - Everton have admitted we've not been in contact, let alone made a bid (which underlines how deceitful previous newspaper stories of bids being rejected were) Are we indeed interested, or is it just newspaper talk?

* Last season was a different matter... it seems we received some encouragement from Everton to put in a bid, but once it went public they (primarily Martinez) shut us down. Had we kept quiet and made a sensible (in Everton's eyes) opening offer, we may have got him. Different manager, different owner, different season, different circumstances.

Ok. Then Chelsea are not ready to offer the right price. Like Arsenal. We are miles behind City and United right now.

Just now, BlueFizz said:

That's right - the transfer window is now closed.

And we didn't sign Kante or Batshuayi.

Some people here will continue saying 'there's still time' even at october... 

Defence!!

life   

If you chose to be happy with the clubs current business, regardless of whether the club are trying or not. That's fine for you.

However do not get at @Alex_Cobas for knowing that our rivals are spending and improving and widening the gap on us in all aspects of the game. You think pogba and stones is not good for the United and city brand? It works in all aspects

Fact is w finished 10th and have not improved close to as much as they have. If we do not fix defence forget top 6

Edited by life

5 minutes ago, Alec_Cobas said:

Ok. Then Chelsea are not ready to offer the right price. Like Arsenal. We are miles behind City and United right now.

So you think we should have offered Everton £50m for Stones? :-(

Tell me, what players do you think we should sign and how much do you think we should pay for them?

life   

I wouldn't mind us putting a cheeky 30 mill bid for mangala right now......would have said "hell no" before. However right now I would take.

Maybe him and mustafi. 

It's on sky sports that mangala is available, I don't know but I feel it makes sense. We saw something in him before, we should take the punt not like we are getting anyone else anywhere

Edited by life

3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

You are spot on Dave.

The list you put up the other day is quite staggering, we have wasted so much money in recent years it's embarrassing.

I've said for a while now that the money we spent on the likes of Oscar, Schurrle, Cuadrado, Salah and all the £3,4,5,6,7m kids that are never gonna get a look in would have been much better off being spent on one or two players to improve our match day squad.

It seems we have been left behind and the club still think £20/30m is going to get you world class players.

Just imagine if all we did every year was buy one or two players to improve our first team, the sort of strategy we should be taking considering everything we have won in recent years. The £330m or whatever it is could have bought us Pogba, Griezmann and Costa, Fabregas, Kante and still had probably over £100m left.

The money has been there and has been spent, its just been spent so badly we have gone from a champions league winning side to a mid table finishing side.

It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth as if  Jose was given that sort of money to spend on players he wanted and was allowed to keep Cech, we probably would have dominated the league and been set up for the next decade or more, as it stands we are having to start from scratch every season.

Can't see how anyone wouldn't agree with this. 

1 hour ago, BlueFizz said:

I agree with all the above except 'We should have got players in by now'.

Based on what I'm seeing (not how I'm feeling - e.g. a bit of disappointment, touch of envy, hint of fan-panic) we're taking a two wave approach:

1. Conte arrived stating that he new for sure he wanted to strengthen forward choice and add a midfield 'tiger' - we went for Nainggola, which didn't work out but secured a back up. Good grownup business.

2. Conte wanted to look at the others - has now done so and things are starting to move - some out, some on loan, hints about others (e.g Matt Miazga, from Conte in interviews).

Another sensible move, in my book.

So I think it's going along nicely.

Regarding the doom-laden meta-analyses of our buying success over several seasons - I think you could do the same exercise for other top clubs and they would come out poorly too. E.g - how much did United allow late-period Fergie, Moyes and Van Gaal to spend on players who didn't really set Manchester on fire? Probably an even bigger fund than ours. And City have bought some real 'mingers' too.

It always staggers me that so many fans can't see that buying and selling players is and has always been a very risky, hit & miss business. You just cannot tell what will happen. E.g., Pogba wins title for United... Pogba ruptures cruciate ligament in third game for United, is never the same player after... etc etc.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - but not available to us at the moment we actually make decisions.

Give our team, our coach, our squad, our club - yourselves - a break!

There's one thing buying Di Maria who doesn't work out. Quite a diffeent thing buying 10 Pasalic's who'll never play a minute for us.