• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

cam4blue   

Kinda hope that Alonso story isn't true TBH. 

He may be cover for CB, CM, and possibly LW, but he'll find it hard to get games at LB; and that sorta defeats the point, especially at that price. Good on the ball (for a defender), slow as all hell, and doesn't defend particularly well. 

Maybe it's an improvement on Ake, Baba, etc; but I don't see clubs from other countries wasting (fairly big) money on very minor upgrades like that. 

I'd hate to see a left-side of defence made up of him and Terry. In fact, the most natural place in the team for him would probably be instead of Terry in games where we are going to see loads of the ball but set-up ultra-defensively anyway. 

I don't know. We'll see I guess. 

1 minute ago, Bob Singleton said:

Agreed. Only problem I see for Tammy is that he seems quite similar to Batshuayi. While either could play well alongside Costa, they'd keep nicking each other's space if played together.

I agree. 

I think you just wouldn't play them together TBH. Stylistically very similar. And TBH, both have made a fan of me in a really short space of time. 

Scooba   

Alonso will come in and play LB no problem. He's not 'slow as hell' either. I would say he's equal to azpi in pace which is adequate. Our defence at Swansea will be - 

Azpi - Cahill - Terry - Alonso

Looks pretty good to me. With a fit Zouma to come in I would say we are looking pretty decent in defence this season now. 

cam4blue   
5 minutes ago, Scooba said:

Alonso will come in and play LB no problem. He's not 'slow as hell' either.

I'll remind you of this. 

He makes Bane look like Bolt.

jones   

Alonso is definitely not just a rumour. And unless breakdown in talks, will happen. 

Positives: Coming from Serie A, you would expect he is a Conte signing. 3,5 years in England means he knows what he is going to. The right age, fair amount of experience, so should not need much time to adapt. Good crosser, likes to switch the ball to the other flank, which suits the way we play. Progressive in his attacking play and able to beat a few players. Seems like an astute defender too.

Negatives: Does not seem to have been first choice, since we went for him so late. Seems to be a bit slow in the first couple of yards, but good at using his strength in one v one situations. A bit circumstantial going forward.

All things considered seems like a decent signing. Not a guaranteed starter, but definitely someone who will play a lot and provide competition at FB.

Scooba   
11 minutes ago, cam4blue said:

I'll remind you of this. 

He makes Bane look like Bolt.

Maybe you are not using the correct term. Admittedly he does not have the fastest acceleration (expected for most big lads) but once going he is certainly not slow. I would definitely argue he is not going to be slower at full speed than any other of the back 4 I posted ^^. And is faster than the defender he is replacing (Ivanovic) as well as retaining the physicality/height. 

Scooba   

Kennedy away on loan for the season to Watford. Expect that confirms Alonso signing. 

Scooba   
11 minutes ago, hag831 said:

Personally would like to see aina get a chance at left back

I'm sure he will.