Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

35,601 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

I agree with this in the main, but I think the the big thing that may help Luiz is have 'The Rat' in front of him, as he may be able to snuff out the odd lapse he has. 

As for Alonso, do you worry about his pace? I ask as I think he is a decent steady Eddie FB, But worry he may be exposed. Although, that said, as he has Hazard in front of him it may be that he he just gets the order not to push up too high and keep things tight, which he looks capable of doing. 

Having someone like Kante certainly helps a player like Luiz and provides that extra insurance policy if he is caught out of position upfield. 

Alonso's pace isn't a huge concern, he's not slow by any means and his stride is fairly long given his height, so he can cover ground. The most important thing will be his positioning and knowing when to stay and go. If he gets himself into the right areas, and out midfield don't knife him in the back by giving the ball away cheaply when breaking forward, then he'll be fine. Midfield ball usage will be the bigger issue.

Have to say I don't see Luiz as a particularly Conte type player either. He is all about positional discipline, and Luiz is very much a free-spirit. All of Conte's teams have defended "sensibly", get in front of the ball, make it hard for the attacker. Defend "properly" first and foremost. Luiz isn't that player at all. He likes a long-ball over the top, and Conte likes that too. Beyond that, I don't know. We'll have to see I guess.  

I think there is a reason this has been done so late. At best he was low down on the list; and TBH I doubt he was on the list at all. 

As for whether we have "backed" Conte; well, we have smashed our net spend of the last 3 years in one summer. Nearly doubled it. In that sense, we have backed him, and how. Whether we have given him what he needs is another matter. We've given him what we could, and you can't ask for that much more I guess. 

Whatever, a net spend of over £100m, our highest net spend in over a decade, expectations of him will be a lot higher now. A squad that was champions a little over a year ago, with over £100m extra spent on it? Conte will be expected to mount a genuine title challenge now. I would have liked the pressure on him to be a bit lower TBH. 

3 minutes ago, cam4blue said:

Have to say I don't see Luiz as a particularly Conte type player either. He is all about positional discipline, and Luiz is very much a free-spirit. All of Conte's teams have defended "sensibly", get in front of the ball, make it hard for the attacker. Defend "properly" first and foremost. Luiz isn't that player at all. He likes a long-ball over the top, and Conte likes that too. Beyond that, I don't know. We'll have to see I guess.

Agreed.  And I don't see the fit with Kante that some mention.  Luiz likes to charge out and pre-empt situations - the same situations that Kante cleans up.  They don't complement each other.

4 minutes ago, cam4blue said:

I think there is a reason this has been done so late. At best he was low down on the list; and TBH I doubt he was on the list at all. 

Quite.  I wish it was always that easy to sell a 50m player you no longer want for 30 odd.

5 minutes ago, cam4blue said:

Conte will be expected to mount a genuine title challenge now.

Which will mean a change of tactics if he is now targeting 85+ points in the season, not 75. Kinda makes buying another CB/DM rather pointless.

With so many posts in the last few hours, forgive me if I missed someone posting this link, but Luiz is now officially confirmed on TOCWS (seemed once the medical was announced that it was seen as a "done deal" by everyone, but I genuinely don't recall a post saying "it's now official")

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2016/08/david-luiz-returns.html

6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Which will mean a change of tactics if he is now targeting 85+ points in the season, not 75. Kinda makes buying another CB/DM rather pointless.

I think the top 6 have spent a significant amount of money and will also target 85+ points

9 hours ago, BlueFizz said:

If it's true, if Sideshow is really on a Eurostar, then I feel weirdly happy!

Yes he's a bloody liability at times, yes he does those crazy walkabouts out of defense, only to lose the ball, yes he only scores one in twenty of his weird dinked free kicks... but in some way I feel he's our bloody liability!

I think it's called 'adding colour'

I Iike This.I have had time to think.luiz can play centre half and midfield - but the thing he will bring to us is his enthusiasm.look we all know there is something missing between the ears in footballing terms - but he will never be part of the zombieism that mourhino preferred.

And so, a long, sometimes heated, always intriguing 2016/17 transfer window thread comes to an end.

Thanks to you all - to those who answered me, quoted me, said interesting things. Thanks even to those whose endless negativity about player choices and prices, club organisation,  and every other aspect of our transfer dealings, was at most times boringly predictable and infuriating. I pity you and hope you managed to get some sun - although I suspect it's always raining where you are.

Personally, I'm happy. New players to enjoy - Kante pure class and Bats exciting, Alonso as yet an unknown quantity. New old players to enjoy - Luiz his usual blend of genius and idiot I assume. Regulars rejuvenated by a top coach whose passion and positivity seem infectious.

And Brana - hopefully a friend to sit with our new third choice goalie on the bench.

I'm unashamedly positive. I'm supporting team and club. I'm Chelsea.

See you all on the match threads.

7 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Kante, Bats, Luiz and Alonso for about £110 million. It's more than we spent last summer and we've got much better players this time out.

That's not too difficult if you consider net spend. Counting Ramires in January didn't we more or less break even?

All this is really doing is patching up some holes in the squad which became a bit threadbare when we didn't freshen up the squad after we won the league. Hopefully now some of the youngsters out on loan can begin to come back and make an imppression on the squad in the years to come and the "transfer committee" can concentrate purely on first team starters.

The squad we've now got we have no excuses not making Champions League football next season which should ensure the availability of some of those starter transfer targets that mysteriously turned off their phones when we tried contacting them this summer.

My perspective is that, to be frank, we've had an understandably frustrating summer but a ridiculous, potentially disastrous last few days in the window.

We have effectively weakened the most exhaustively used part of the squad, sending out attacking players and bringing no one in. We now have only 7 players to occupy roles where we'll often use 5, sometimes even 6, of them per game. We have no room for injury, illness, suspension, loss of form or any of the other background wrangles that we have seen effectively restrict selection in the past. And the gap in quality is such that I am concerned about motivation and form; if Hazard doesn't do it, are we really going to see Pedro or Moses come in for 5 or 6 games instead? I highly doubt it.

We have spent a large sum on a CB whose playing style is completely at odds with that of the midfielder we spent a large sum on, and when CB was low down the list of what the squad really needed.

We've signed a LB whose career trajectory could be very misleading and unfair, but does not seem to suggest he is any better than the LB we've let go for the season.

I think the squad is in fairly poor shape and that is with us having spent a lot more than we become accustomed to in recent years. I am not expecting a title challenge; I am hoping that we at least are in the mix for the top 4 by March. I dread to think what the club are expecting and what they'll do when the (IMO) inevitable happens.

Negative, sure. But that's my piece said.

Edited by thevelourfog
1 person likes this

We play Liverpool, Arsenal, Leicester and United in the league within about the next six weeks. 

Then we'll know much better how this season will go and whether we are short on quality and needed more enforcements.