• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

paulw66   
2 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

Ah Schurrle, yet another player in the Jan 2015-Feb 2016 period that was discarded too quickly and replaced with absolute dross (well a player completely ill-equipped to deal with the PL). Personally, I never got the negativity about him as I thought he made a decent fist of his first season, always got himself into goal-scoring positions with his movement and seemed fairly happy to play as a squad player. Personally, he for me is exactly the type of player we're currently missing, someone who can fill the 3rd striker role and also play out wide to a half decent level but not insist on being a starter.

Absolutely. Scored goals at a good rate. I was at Fulham in the game he got a hat trick. Top finishing. 

Faramir   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

No that is not it at all.  After all this is the same consensus by volume that is extremely negative about certain players and won't accept any praise for them whatsoever.

It is not the negativity that upsets them, it is the challenge to their views.  I get pms from people who say they agree with me but are unwilling to provoke others by posting.  They may not think of it as bullying to get their views across more strongly, but that is how it works.

Ironically when I have said we had 11 great players I was constantly being shouted down for not realising the urgency of upgrading 5 or 6 desperately poor individuals.
Now Thevelourfog says he is not impressed with the transfers, and pretty much the same group says the window was not about upgrades, just about providing alternatives for the bench.

Ahh... You must be referring to Matic. A certain poster who "is extremely negative" and won't "accept any praise for [him] whatsoever."

In regards to your comment: "It is not the negativity that upsets them, it is the challenge to their views."  I can only speak for myself. If the whole tone of a post (or posts) is negative I find it so defeatist. I don't have a problem with posters being pragmatic and honest about the failings of individual players, the manager or the team, but when their outlook is totally negative and dour, then they deserve to be challenged on it. If the team took to the field with that attitude we would be beaten before a ball was kicked.

With regards to your posts and your negativity towards Conte this season we have had three premier league wins but you find fault with everything he does, and when talking about positive things surrounding those wins you claim this was achieved despite anything the manager did. I think in your case it is more important to you that you are proved right than Chelsea getting a win. You are probably hoping for another 10th place finish so you can claim your individual victories on this forum rather than Conte bringing Chelsea success.

27 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

Ah Schurrle, yet another player in the Jan 2015-Feb 2016 period that was discarded too quickly and replaced with absolute dross (well a player completely ill-equipped to deal with the PL). Personally, I never got the negativity about him as I thought he made a decent fist of his first season, always got himself into goal-scoring positions with his movement and seemed fairly happy to play as a squad player. Personally, he for me is exactly the type of player we're currently missing, someone who can fill the 3rd striker role and also play out wide to a half decent level but not insist on being a starter.

That was a very odd one that.

I did think at the time that he did not look a well man.

Perhaps he wanted to leave?

Well, now the market is closed and we can make a verdict about the last months. Chelsea started the summer outstanding: the signing of a great talent like Michy and after that the unbeliavable coup to get the gem Kante made everybody flying in their dreams. The old Chelsea was back... 

But apart from these amazing news, the club faded in the last weeks of July and the biggest part of August. I can understand that Conte wanted Koulibaly and the club did well trying to back him on his wishes (like with Nainggolan), but they should have learn the lesson from last summer with Everton. De Laurentiis is an extremely difficult mountain to climb and they should have reacted way before than the first offer for Romagnoli (around 25th of August). Then, after failed offers here and there, they went for an old friend in David Luiz (plus an improved Marcos Alonso). The brazilian smelt the Emery parfum and understood the bench was his house for this season. This saved our ass, because if David Luiz was going to be a starter he would have stayed in Paris. Our last hour alternative, Abdennour, was another Mendes fiasco waiting to happen. 

So, a bit frustating summer but our squad in better than last year. Our key players look back to their better version so more great news. In love with Conte already. The club need to back and support him when the bad periods arrive because we have a phenomenal manager again. 

COME ON CHELSEA!

Jasonb   

Alec,

I'm philosophical about the transfers, I agree that the first two were encouraging with great potential and Kante already seems a great signing.

Re Luiz he was error prone and at first it seems like a desperate move though Luiz does bring some positives.

Unless my memory is deserting me he is the first defender since Frank Lebouf that can open up a heavily packed defence with a strike from distance. He is good with distribution and does not bottle it when it comes to penalties. On the negative side he does make mistakes and sometimes takes out the opposition and gets a card. 

I'm not sure whether he is seen as a short term singing or a long one. JT is unlikely to go on too much longer and like JT, Luiz is seen as having a positive effect in the dressing room. 

Re Alonso even though he played in the premiership I don't remember him which does not bode well though what we can see is that the squad is strengthened which was important after the collapse last season with questions being asked about our previously great defender Ivanovich.

12 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

I think the squad is probably one quality attacker/striker short and thats all really.

People seem to forget this squad has genuine versatility with a number of players capable of playing more than one position effectively.

Ivanonvic -  RB , CB -  Luiz CB , CM - Alonso LB,LWB,CB - Fabregas CM , AM - Azpilicueta RB , LB - Hazard AM , ST - Chalobah CM , CB - Oscar CM , AM.

So I agree the striker situation looks a little bare, I felt loaning Traore was a strange move at the time and even more so now. He would have been an ideal player to have here and use in 10-15 games across the season. The rest of the squad looks balanced to me with a number of players all being able to adjust their play slightly to cover more than one position.

EDIT : On the striker front, we probably have enough to get to January to see where we are. If we are still in with a good chance to win the title after Xmas, I am sure the board will back Conte with another striker if thats an area where we need another option in.

Agree the squad has versatility/balance, and the Traore loan being the wrong decision, hope we are able to sort something out upfront in January if RLC is not the answer. Kante is a really special player and Bats is a better option than Lukaku. As for Luiz and Alonso, well there are better we know but, there are a lot worse. ( Is Koulibaly better than Luiz? Kante is certainly better than Nainggolan, and I would rather have Bats than Morata)

So despite the board struggling to get players in, it hasn't worked out too badly. We have some steel back in the side, Kante, Terry, Luiz and Costa give us that, matched with flair, creativity and technical ability. We have offloaded some miserable sick notes . We have an intelligent pragmatic manager who is able to inspire and adapt to both circumstances and personalities. In short, after past misgivings, we are in a position to climb our way back and that is something we should be positive about right now. Of course only time will tell us our strengths and weaknesses, but we do appear to have a half decent squad this season. 

Edited by nutmegsw6

Zoowraa   
17 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

That was a very odd one that.

I did think at the time that he did not look a well man.

Perhaps he wanted to leave?

There was the old attending Arsenal Xmas party episode too. I wonder if he ever fully recovered from that in the eyes of the manager.

The impression I got was he was really happy here, knew he was part of a squad but accepted that as he was a big club challenging for trophies. He also was not a Jose signing, I just feel with hindsight the manager seemed to move on players he didn't sign quite quickly . KDB , Mata, Luiz , Lukakuk possibly even Salah .

We'll hear the same old arguments that some claim about they wanted to leave, but as I suggested recently that's a load of rubbish that we will just accept that. Diego Costa's comments in the last few days back that up.

On 31 August 2016 at 11:35 AM, Michael Tucker said:

I've already stated that I'm not arguing that it couldn't/won't happen. All I'm attempting to point out (which I thought should be blindngly obvious, tbh) is that something isn't fact just because it gets 'reported' in the media. IF we re-sign Luiz, then imo, the people at the club who made that decision should be certified. I'm just prepared to wait and see what actually happens, before sticking the boot into the club, and descending into despair. I know that this is a radical concept on this thread, but there it is.

Just as well you covered your a**e Michael.

cam4blue   

Schurrle: he took a year off after winning the World Cup. Maybe he got a bit billy big bollox. Maybe he wanted to go home to Germany and be treated like a hero. But whatever, he didn't turn up for the 14/15 season. And he wasn't even particularly good to begin with. 

No-one would be talking about him if he hadn't been here. He's average. I will never understand the obsession some have with pining for old boys. It's almost like a hobby for some. 

chara   

By and large we have to be satisfied with the players coming in, not every one available or on a wish list is a Ronaldo or a Messi. For a while now I have been hoping for a competent LB, I can only hope we have now got one. The Ash Coles of this game are few and far between and no sensible club lets one go easily.

The featured point is the unloading of surplus non producing or less than the ability required players,bit like clearing out the garage and realizing how much usable space there really is.

The loans look on balance sensible and really my only real surprise is that RLC is not out on loan. More and more I get the impression he will be one of those "players with potential" that never quite step up as we (the fans) wait and wait and ....