• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Zoowraa   

Nothing against Caceres as a player, but it would be a really odd signing for me. I can't see we need any further cover here and this type of signing is exactly the type which stunts progress from the likes of Aina.

Caceres is also a player whose whole career as been hampered by injuries. His appearances for his age is evidence of this, even though he has been at very competitive squads through large spells of his career.

I get he is a versatile player who can play a number of positions, but 29 years old coming into the quickest and most physical league around and off the back of injuries, just looks an odd signing and I don't see how it can be viewed any other way to be honest.

Maybe it's cobblers? It usually is.

Ex Juve with Conte : Check

Centre half , ooohh maybe Conte will play his preferred 3-5-2? : Check

Free transfer as not attached to a club we can get some clicks out of that : Check.

I'd be gobsmacked if he joins.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Maybe it's cobblers? It usually is.

Ex Juve with Conte : Check

Centre half , ooohh maybe Conte will play his preferred 3-5-2? : Check

Free transfer as not attached to a club we can get some clicks out of that : Check.

I'd be gobsmacked if he joins.

My thoughts entirely.

xCELERYx   
10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Ivanovic, Azpilicueta, Alonso, JT, Cahill, Luiz, Zouma could all play CB in a 3. That is 7 already. And even if you assume that the two wing backs come from Azpilicueta, Alonso and Ivanovic, that still leaves 5 options. There has also been no suggestion or hint that we will even go 3 at the back.

Well, we don't know how or when Zouma will officially return, so can rule him out for now. For that reason, maybe Caceres is seen as a short term fall back option. Maybe the idea will be to actually send Zouma out on loan in January to get his fitness back by playing regularly. There's a good chance he may not be thrown back into a first team position depending how our season is going, leaving his game time potentially on the low side. 

Caceres could even be seen as a option to replace Ivanovic going forward, who may be moved on come January or the end of the season with his contract set to end. Bringing him in now would a cheap move and one less to make in the summer, while offering similar versatility across the backline. 

IF Caceres can stay fit enough, he's a very good defender on his day. So I can see why there might some appeal in obtaining him as another defensive option.

Then again, maybe there's absolutely nothing to it at all. 

Sciatika   

I don't think that Conte will frequently, if ever, play a three at the back as a starting option. However, he needs flexibility in in-game play. Where we are playing catchup, he wants to be able to have two up front. That means losing a man in the middle or changing to 3 at the back - both work depending on opposition and circumstance. I don't think the intent of bringing in Luiz is to create a Chelsea "Barzagli-Bonucci-Chiellini". Why would you? This is a different league with different personnel. I think Conte will rotate Luiz, Zouma, Cahill and, to a lesser extent, Terry. Some will get injuries and so the extra CB gives him more options. But Luiz can aslo play in the Kante or even the Matic/Mikel role as well. To me, having Luiz is about having all sorts of extra options. Despite the odd error, Luiz is a VERY good footballer.

• Like 1

Ham   
20 hours ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

I'm not keen on many Droy's posts, but what is the point of this sort of juvenile nitpicking and the intention of only trying to make him look silly? You're guilty of doing this a lot Bob, just how old are you FFS?

Says Hugh Jars. A Viz comic name if ever I saw one. 

Are you saying that funny comments should be outlawed? 

6 hours ago, Ham said:

Says Hugh Jars. A Viz comic name if ever I saw one. 

Are you saying that funny comments should be outlawed? 

Could be worse. Coulda been Hugh Janus. 

Jasonb   

What do we think about Rashford as a young talent.

It strikes me if JM keeps him on the bench come January we could do worse than put a bid forward for this young striker.

Scooba   
2 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

What do we think about Rashford as a young talent.

It strikes me if JM keeps him on the bench come January we could do worse than put a bid forward for this young striker.

Massively overhyped. Done well getting a few important goals but it's hardly like he's putting in spectacular performance one after another. Can't believe some people argue he should be played instead of Ibra. I watched u21s last night and yes whilst he got a hat trick his 3 goals were made up of - 1 shot at keeper which should have been saved, 1 deflected goal and then he was allowed to take a penalty which he normally wouldn't have been. Couldn't believe the amount of press it got. Setting him up to fail unfortunately.