Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

34,555 posts in this topic

Who needs to actually buy Llorente to benefit from his goals?  Haha. 

Yeh.... can't see Swansea releasing Llorente anytime soon.  Liverpool having an embarrassing time with him, just the way we like it.

Nothing further on Traore, so I'm not sure if we were really interested. I'd be surprised if we bring anyone in with just a week to go. We're most likely keeping our powder dry for the summer, when you'd imagine we'll have a sizable war chest.

A big chunk of that should go towards an AM, providing an additional option to the overworked Hazard, Pedro, and Willian trio.

Another quality CM could be another option. And whilst another CB would be nice, I'd be tempted to have faith in Zouma and Christensen as the back ups to Azpi/Luiz/Cahill.

And then there's the striker situation which is entirely dependent on Diego. 

49 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

Nothing further on Traore, so I'm not sure if we were really interested. I'd be surprised if we bring anyone in with just a week to go. We're most likely keeping our powder dry for the summer, when you'd imagine we'll have a sizable war chest.

Not so sure.  We spend v big last summer by our standards.  And we have no European football this season at all.  And we are going through some v big contract renewals which will add greatly to our wage bill.  
Yes we do have some big fees coming in for Oscar, but then we just lost Oscar.  Some argue that a bunch of older players will be on their way, and the young players joining the squad (Chalobah etc) are only making up the numbers, they are not challenging for places.  
So yes there will be a chunk to spend, but a lot of min £20m players to buy too.

53 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

A big chunk of that should go towards an AM, providing an additional option to the overworked Hazard, Pedro, and Willian trio.

Another quality CM could be another option. And whilst another CB would be nice, I'd be tempted to have faith in Zouma and Christensen as the back ups to Azpi/Luiz/Cahill.

Like Conte said at the very start when he joined, he's only interested in signing the right sort of players for the right prices. I dare say that's been the situation during January thus far. I'm sure we've probably looked a few players and have either been put off by the price or said players aren't available in this window. 

The one player we've still been linked with throughout January is Kessie of Atalanta. However, they appear to have taken him off the market according to latest reports in Italy. Apparently we even made an offer of around 25m euro's with add ons and it was turned down. Atalanta believe he'll be worth more in the summer and will look to test that market. 

21 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not so sure.  We spend v big last summer by our standards.  And we have no European football this season at all.  And we are going through some v big contract renewals which will add greatly to our wage bill.  
Yes we do have some big fees coming in for Oscar, but then we just lost Oscar.  Some argue that a bunch of older players will be on their way, and the young players joining the squad (Chalobah etc) are only making up the numbers, they are not challenging for places.  
So yes there will be a chunk to spend, but a lot of min £20m players to buy too.

Yes, we certainly did spend big last summer, and with no European football it does affect the revenues and future spending potential. Additionally, surely future spending will be affected by the massive costs of the redevelopment of Stamford Bridge?

Having said that, with the huge TV revenues and new shirt and shirt sponsor deals (when does the Nike contract come into play again?), we'll be banking a fair amount as well. 

And yes, the Oscar sale brings in a huge amount. Add Bamford's sale, Cuadrado's impending fee and anyone else we offload (likely be a few) and it's a decent amount coming in.

The chunk that we do have to spend could be spent on four £20m players, or two £40m players depending on requirements. Regardless, I think we'll be quite active. 

18 minutes ago, zaffo said:

The one player we've still been linked with throughout January is Kessie of Atalanta. However, they appear to have taken him off the market according to latest reports in Italy. Apparently we even made an offer of around 25m euro's with add ons and it was turned down. Atalanta believe he'll be worth more in the summer and will look to test that market. 

Can seeing us going back in for Kessie. He's the sort of athletic, all action midfielder that appeals to Conte. Young too, so he can be eased in. 

Maybe they'll put the money in the shoe box under the bed marked "stadium rebuild".

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Maybe they'll put the money in the shoe box under the bed marked "stadium rebuild".

I always put aside £2 coins as they're still relatively rare.  I wonder what method Roman uses..... 🤔

2 hours ago, Ham said:

I always put aside £2 coins as they're still relatively rare.  I wonder what method Roman uses..... 🤔

He collects young players and keeps them at Cobham doesn't he? (Apart from all the trophies he's got stashed away.)

14 hours ago, A Blue Essien said:

Unless we can upgrade on Pedro or Willian, (assuming we can't with Eden) then I'm not sure I'd bother with the AM position in that respect.

Reason being, if we went out and got a world class or at least top quality RWB, it allows Moses to become an option further forward, and we also have Musonda, B Traore, Palmer, Kennedy and RLC to consider. (Most will go out on loan but there's surely a couple there?) - so would only react if a Griezmann type player became available.

Wing Backs, Centre Midfield and back up striker is where we ought to be looking imo