Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

34,559 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

I think that this is key but it is all hindsight. It clearly wasn't a mistake to sell Lukaku as we haven't done too badly since he left but there is nothing to say that keeping him wouldn't have resulted in the same successful period. His goalscoring record is similar to Costa over those three years so it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other for me. We had no guarantee that Costa would be as prolific as he has been and at the time we had no way of knowing - really - if keeping Lukaku would have yielded as much. The club made a decision, we have done relatively well so does it really matter?

Well it does to some - those calling the initial decision to sell as a "cock up" or "huge mistake"

I think we got a good price, we have done well in his absence, as has he. If we sell Costa and buy him back without losing too much dosh, then it's been great all round. I don't see the fuss. 

Edited by paulw66

2 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

Your still twisting it to what you want to believe. The fee was £13million but with  add on's to £18 million. Highly likely the add on's would be based on how he does and he hardly played, so I can't see what add on's we would have payed.

Wages I imagine were around 30-40k per week.

I'm not twisting anything.  We bought a player who was nowhere near good enough for us at the time of purchase for a fee and wages combined, whatever they were,  that meant we made a very small profit once he was sold. I wouldn't normally include wages but seeing as he had zero impact on the first team I think it's only fair. 

It was that bad a decision that he had to spend 12 whole months in the reserve team as we were unable to loan him to another club.

We then sold him as he wasn't prepared to fight for his place when the  competition was Torres and Eto'o. He wanted to go and we sold him.

We replaced him with a player, who played a major part in us winning the league and will hopefully do so again this season. A player who is the very best in the world at what he does and is far better suited to this team than his predecessor. 

As I have said in my opinion the only error ls the initial purchase of Lukaku.  It was a complete waste of time.

I really don't see selling him as any sort of error or cock up and certainly dont blame Jose one bit as was the original point which has lead to this debate.

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Well it does to some - those calling the initial decision to sell as a "cock up" or "huge mistake"

I think we got a good price, we have done well in his absence, as has he. If we sell Costa and buy him back without losing too much dosh, then it's been great all round. I don't see the fuss. 

This I agree with 100%, although personally I'm agaisnt us reigning him, there are very few alternatives and if he costs similar to what we get for Costa it would make sense. 

BBC gossip page have a report from Yahoo ( I didn't even know they were a respected source!) that Lukaku will join Chelsea in the summer.

I recall Lukaku saying he believed he would be Chelsea's main striker one day, I suppose he sees himself as the successor to Drogba.

Of course they might be very wrong and there is also a long time to go.

I was in Prague when he loused up a penalty in the shoot-out vs Bayern for the Super Cup. That, coupled with him swanning around the pitch like a lost soul (even worse than early days RLC), probably swayed the Special One in his opinion to loan him out while he had the opportunity. Disappointing: I've always liked Lukaku, but there was something missing at the outset. Not convinced he's improved sufficiently even yet, although his scoring record is certainly impressive. Maybe I'm just allergic to the thought of another expensive but misfiring acquisition ... but he's certainly a fan of the club - I remember him saying a few years ago: “What a stadium. If one day in my life I will cry, it will be the day I play here. I love Chelsea.”

Lukaku is either creative journalism or Agent trying to engineer a move or pay rise

Always find it strange that Lukaku is only ever linked with Chelsea and never one of the other European big boys

10 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Lukaku is either creative journalism or Agent trying to engineer a move or pay rise

Always find it strange that Lukaku is only ever linked with Chelsea and never one of the other European big boys

Too big and cumbersome to chime with the names of Barca or RM.  Even the later slimmer-line version.  Frankly I suspect he adds much more value to a team like Everton than he would to a bigger team, even though Everton has less to spend.

Same agent as Pogba and "Mr Birthday cake" , Toure, expect this to go on and on ad nauseum.

I wouldn't touch any of "his"players with a bargepole.

I think Lukaku at Chelsea could work with the right blend of supporting midfielders and or a second striker.

Though the question will be hypothetical unless Costa moves or the club decide to cash in on him.

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Same agent as Pogba and "Mr Birthday cake" , Toure, expect this to go on and on ad nauseum.

I wouldn't touch any of "his"players with a bargepole.

Same as Pogba (Raiola) but not Toure ( Selcuk).

If you ignore Raiola then you ignore quite a number of the best players around.