Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

34,555 posts in this topic

Don't think it will change much overall. He'll constantly be linked away, just reassuring it won't be for free though. 

On 2/14/2017 at 10:19 AM, Jasonb said:

What Ham's table shows us above is how well Spurs, Liverpool and us have done on modest budgets.

True. United have chucked a fortune at transfers post Fergie (well post Moyes really) and are still behind. City should won the league 4 or 5 times by now with the money they have spent since their takeover. 

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

True. United have chucked a fortune at transfers post Fergie (well post Moyes really) and are still behind. City should won the league 4 or 5 times by now with the money they have spent since their takeover. 

I don't agree with this as money spent on a player rarely reflects that players quality especially when it comes to City. They could coax Emile Heskey out of retirement for £50m but it doesn't accurately measure up against the likelihood of a title success. All it shows is that they have not spent well because had they then spent better then they might have won more.

But had they spent well then probably they wouldn't have spent as much.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

I don't agree with this as money spent on a player rarely reflects that players quality especially when it comes to City. They could coax Emile Heskey out of retirement for £50m but it doesn't accurately measure up against the likelihood of a title success. All it shows is that they have not spent well because had they then spent better then they might have won more.

But had they spent well then probably they wouldn't have spent as much.

Agreed, they haven't spent well - that is kind of my point, if in a different way

They have spent a fortune - every year outspending everyone else, yet they make no progress. 

With the budget they have and have had, they should have won the league more times - by spending more wisely. 

Edit- even so, the last 2 or 3 seasons they have had the best squad and failed

Edited by paulw66

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Agreed, they haven't spent well - that is kind of my point, if in a different way

They have spent a fortune - every year outspending everyone else, yet they make no progress. 

With the budget they have and have had, they should have won the league more times - by spending more wisely. 

Edit- even so, the last 2 or 3 seasons they have had the best squad and failed

Another angle is that Mancini, Pellegrini and now Guardiola are possibly not as good as the City elite would have you believe. Fancy giving those managers a blank chequebook and then still coming up relatively short year on year? They'll do it again come the summer and I imagine they'll be there or thereabouts instead of being streets ahead like they ought to.

That said, we do have to plough a fair wedge into the playing staff ourselves. Our own track record for that isn't good - not that we over spend and spend poorly (a la City) but that we don't spend enough. A constant challenge for all teams and boards.

54 minutes ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

Another angle is that Mancini, Pellegrini and now Guardiola are possibly not as good as the City elite would have you believe. Fancy giving those managers a blank chequebook and then still coming up relatively short year on year?

Indeed.  Guardiola I admit there are arguments for (not that they work for me).  But Mancini and Pelly were obvious losers in advance.

On 14 February 2017 at 9:27 AM, Ham said:

It was nice to see Gary Neville highlighting this publicly before the City game last night.

Staggering what we've done in the circumstances. 

Edit: Also makes an absolute mockery of Citeh's fake investments. Seriously, how can they have a net spend of £316m over 3 years and still report a profit? 

20170214_012608.jpg

Those figures doesn't seem to include the spending we've had since the summer. 

Transferleague.co.uk has our net spend in 14/15 to be £5.1m and the net spend in 15/16 to be £9.1m. The same source has our net spend as £51.3m this season and that's including the sale of Oscar and Bamford which was almost £60m in themselves... So the figures from Sky aren't correct up until today's date. 

I suppose you can look at the net spend figures and draw some conclusions about the previous manager we had. In Jose's first season back we had a net spend of £49m and £5.1m and £9.1m in season two and three. 

Conte has so far a net spend of £51.3m. Will be interesting to see whether the club backs him in subsequent windows or if they'll treat him the same way they've done Jose twice and Ancelotti once. That's the real test at Chelsea it seems. Not he successful in your first season or two, but to have the backing from the board long term. 

47 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Those figures doesn't seem to include the spending we've had since the summer. 

Transferleague.co.uk has our net spend in 14/15 to be £5.1m and the net spend in 15/16 to be £9.1m. The same source has our net spend as £51.3m this season and that's including the sale of Oscar and Bamford which was almost £60m in themselves... So the figures from Sky aren't correct up until today's date. 

I suppose you can look at the net spend figures and draw some conclusions about the previous manager we had. In Jose's first season back we had a net spend of £49m and £5.1m and £9.1m in season two and three. 

Conte has so far a net spend of £51.3m. Will be interesting to see whether the club backs him in subsequent windows or if they'll treat him the same way they've done Jose twice and Ancelotti once. That's the real test at Chelsea it seems. Not he successful in your first season or two, but to have the backing from the board long term. 

Yes. I think he will be backed pretty well.

Appears that Solanke wants out and will leave at the end of the season.