Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

34,568 posts in this topic

Mertens at the right price yes though like Pedro he is 29 so ideally we would buy a little younger.

Please stay well away from Barkley he is barely Everton class let alone Chelsea. The definition of a highlight reel player.

Gives the ball away countless times every game and takes an enormous amount of shots from ridiculous angles. He has had 64 shots in the league this season and scored just 4 goals.

Fortunately this rumour doesn't make any sense as we no longer play with a number 10. He is just as much of a defensive liability as Fabregas and Mata but nowhere near as effective on the ball. 

The only young English midfielder that interests me is Oxlade-Chamberlain who I have always felt is deployed much better centrally.  There have been rumours he wants out and with Wenger potentially gone it maybe a good time to swoop in. Would also be hilarious if he came here and stayed fit for a whole season. 

Edited by samhoward17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

Mertens at the right price yes though like Pedro he is 29 so ideally we would buy a little younger.

Please stay well away from Barkley he is barely Everton class let alone Chelsea. The definition of a highlight reel player.

Gives the ball away countless times every game and takes an enormous amount of shots from ridiculous angles. He has had 64 shots in the league this season and scored just 4 goals.

Fortunately this rumour doesn't make any sense as we no longer play with a number 10. He is just as much of a defensive liability as Fabregas and Mata but nowhere near as effective on the ball. 

The only young English midfielder that interests me is Oxlade-Chamberlain who I have always felt is deployed much better centrally.  There have been rumours he wants out and with Wenger potentially gone it maybe a good time to swoop in. Would also be hilarious if he came here and stayed fit for a whole season. 

Oxlade-Chamberlain is one of a few players at Arsenal who I think could improve significantly by a change in scenery - eg play for a manager who hasn't been left behind. With the right coach Ox could be a very good player IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Oxlade-Chamberlain is one of a few players at Arsenal who I think could improve significantly by a change in scenery - eg play for a manager who hasn't been left behind. With the right coach Ox could be a very good player IMO

Couldn't agree more. I've always rated him and would love us to get him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Why?

Good question! Barkley has to be one of the most over-rated young English players I've ever seen - and boy has there been a few of those over the years! Leave him alone, and he'll just become one of the many 'whatever happend to' answers on a pub quiz night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Good question! Barkley has to be one of the most over-rated young English players I've ever seen - and boy has there been a few of those over the years! Leave him alone, and he'll just become one of the many 'whatever happend to' answers on a pub quiz night.

I have to agree.  He does have a few good moments per season but on the occasions I've seen him play he's not impressed me. There must be a reason nobody goes for him in every transfer window.

I'm guessing that he'll be over priced for an overrated player.   He always looks a bit overweight to me as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ham said:

II'm guessing that he'll be over priced for an overrated player.  

Without doubt. Same as was the case with John Stones (who has been found out in better company), and remains the case with the likes of Walcott, & Oxlade-Chamberlain, who have done little (if anything) to warrant the hype in the media, and on here.

Whie we have the likes of Abraham, Traore, Baker, Palmer & Brown, and others., out on loan, I just don't get the fascination with the Barkleys of this world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Without doubt. Same as was the case with John Stones (who has been found out in better company), and remains the case with the likes of Walcott, & Oxlade-Chamberlain, who have done little (if anything) to warrant the hype in the media, and on here.

Whie we have the likes of Abraham, Traore, Baker, Palmer & Brown, and others., out on loan, I just don't get the fascination with the Barkleys of this world.

I dare say the fascination stems from the fact they've "semi done it". They've all broken into their respective first teams, have a degree of talent, they've all had their impressive performances at this level, and they're all English on top. Combine the lot and it's easy to see why there's more hype around them over the others you've mention, who've all not quite ticked all those boxes yet, although not necessarily lesser players.

Edited by zaffo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, zaffo said:

 They've all broken into their respective first teams,

Had they been at Chelsea, they'd all still be out on loan. Which is the real difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guillaume Ballague (yes, I know) has reported we have agreed personal terms with Monaco's Bakayoko. Now need to agree a fee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Guillaume Ballague (yes, I know) has reported we have agreed personal terms with Monaco's Bakayoko. Now need to agree a fee. 

L'Equipe reporting we have bid €38m+ add ons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now