Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

34,322 posts in this topic

On 26/03/2017 at 4:23 AM, Michael Tucker said:

To be perfectly honest, Kev, I don't see any resemblance between the two. For a start, Sturridge is pretty much always injured (and if he's not, then he's about to be): Lukaku is much more  sturdy.  Secondly, I think that there's a pitch-length between them in terms of effort and attitude - Lukaku imo, is a team player; Sturridge, anything but.  That's not to say that Lukaku is the greatest, but since Suarez, Ronaldo, and Messie are all unlikely to be avaialble in the summer (:)), he'd do me if we lose Costa, and I think he feels that he has unfinished busness at SB.  Watch his goal today against Greece (and there are plenty to choose from this season alone).

I would question lukaku's attitude Michael.He obviously has a high opinion of himself and didn't disguise the fact he should be playing for a top class European team; even when he was with us at such a young age.I'm all for a player having confidence in himself,but he strikes me as being predictable in his play,something Costa certainly is not.

9 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I would question lukaku's attitude Michael.

Yes, I know you would, Kev. But I wouldn't. He believes in his ability - it isn't a crime. Nor is picking the right striker a popularity contest. They don't seem to have a problem with his attitude at Everton, do they?

9 minutes ago, kev61 said:

but he strikes me as being predictable in his play,something Costa certainly is not.

I see very little difference between the two in that context, and a lot will come down to the players around them, making the passes, and creating the chances. But we're not trying to choose between Lukaku and Costa, because if Costa wants to stay, then I'm sure that we'll re-sign him, and Lukaku will end up somewhere else. If however, Diego wants to go (China, or elsewhere) then that imo, is a different matter.

5 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Yes, I know you would, Kev. But I wouldn't. He believes in his ability - it isn't a crime. Nor is picking the right striker a popularity contest. 

The Everton system suits him Michael at the moment.The centre forward position has been a poisoned chalice for most players recently for us.IMO he lacks the talent of Drogba and Costa,he might do very well but I can't be blamed for having reservations.

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

The Everton system suits him Michael at the moment.

Right. There had to be a reason for all those goals, I guess - it can't just come down to his ability, can it?......:).

But let me say one more time, Kev, that I'm talking about him as my preferred option IF Costa goes. Now if he's not yours (under those circumstances) then name some others that you'd prefer, and say why. I'd be interested to know.

2 hours ago, kev61 said:

The Everton system suits him Michael at the moment.The centre forward position has been a poisoned chalice for most players recently for us.IMO he lacks the talent of Drogba and Costa,he might do very well but I can't be blamed for having reservations.

You mean that Everton system that WBA utilised when Lukaku had his first successful spell out on loan prior to his Everton one? 

5 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

The thing that I do not get about these Costa rumours is that if it is looked at rationally, him signing a new contract with us is probably the best thing all round as: 

1) He does not really strike me as someone that will actually go to China as he is too competitive. 

2) Ateltico are under a transfer embargo so he cannot go there and he does not really fit the profile of player Madrid, Bayern or Barca go for. That for me just leaves PSG but I do not see what he really gets out of that. 

3) For us it means we keep a proven striker who is in his prime and we do not have to go out in deseperation for two to three strikers; Bats is clearly not rated by the manager so none of that give him another year stuff. 

As for Courtois, his recent interveiw appears to clearly indicate that he expects to stay and sign a new contract. As for Hazard, I am starting to get a bit nervous about him but at the same time I think it should not be forgotton he shuns the "sleb" lifestyle and is known to like the ability to go out and about in London with his family without getting hassled. If he goes to Madrid that is pretty much never going to happen.

Let's not forget these rumours of him leaving have been ongoing every summer since he arrived. He's made that quite public recently with his desire to return to Atletico. In saying that, unless a team comes to the party with a serious offer containing serious cash, a move is less likely to occur. The catch is that he's also got a deal that runs out in 2019 iirc. So, we may be put in a position where we'll put the wheels in motion to move him on if he doesn't extend. Regardless if Chelsea is his best fit or not. I can't see us willing to lose an asset like Costa for nothing. 

A decision is going to need to be made within the next 12 months, one way or another.

6 hours ago, zaffo said:

Losing Hazard would be the worse of the two situations. As good as Costa is, he has his own short comings as well. People like to nit pick Lukaku's weak points, however Costa has a few similar of his own (first touch, passing).

Funny - this season I have been hugely impressed with Costa's first touch and passing.  If it looks awkward sometimes, that is because he is generally being barged at the moment of his first touch, or he is making one touch passes to a flying Pedro or Hazard while being kicked from behind.  Most of our rapid er "attacks" have him as an early focus.

6 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

1) He does not really strike me as someone that will actually go to China as he is too competitive. 

5 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Really? Even though he's become a Spanish citizen, he's still Brazilian at heart. And players from Brazil have large, extended families that they provide for (Costa no exception). That's why the likes of Ramires, Oscar, Paulinho, Teixeira, Witsel, Hulk, Pato and Tevez (among a growing list) are already there - the money. And Costa is heading rapidly towards his 29th birthday (October), and this next contract might be his last chance to nail down a financial bonanza.

I accept MT's point about money and career stage.  But given he has already said openly he wanted to return to AM, it seems safe to say that was for life-style reasons, not money.  And if he finds London difficult then he'd finded China crazy.  
So I can't imagine him going to China (unlike say Ramires, who adjusted to life in London pretty well, and could no doubt adjust to life in China just as well).

I think that even if Costa stays and signs a new contract, we'll most likely be signing another striker. I say that because Mitchy doesn't really seem to be trusted by Conte and we need at least 2 usable strikers next season, maybe even 3 seeing as 3-5-2 may be used more going forward.

As for Hazard, my gut says he'll stay. He's our prized asset and there's no way Roman will sign off on him. Just no way, regardless of the offer. The only way we'll sell is if he agitates and puts in a transfer request, and he doesn't seem the sort to do that. I could be wrong but that's just my feeling.  

^In 352 we already have both strikers - Costa and Hazard.
So it is the bench striker we are looking for - and I agree Michy doesn't seem like getting that role next season.

But Lukaku and Morata won't come here if we are going to play with one striker, and Costa is still here ... So if one of them is bought, it would surely see Conte play more with two strikers, or mean that Costa is on his way out.