Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

34,324 posts in this topic

If anyone wanted an example of the worth of Diego Costa it was at Anfield today. Lukaku was completely invisible with no movement and barely broke a sweat. I do like him and think that in a team that plays to his strengths he could be lethal. I believe he is often miss-analysed as a Drogba type that holds the ball up but I think his game is much closer to a young Torres. He thrives in space where he can isolate defenders but can go absolutely missing when his team is out of possession. In our current set-up we play the ball very fast which I absolutely love and he would certainly get his fair share of goals on the break. Can we count on him to produce deft touches when opposition are camped in their box or hold the ball up away in the Champions League with little support? I have my doubts.

In recent weeks its been clear that Diego has not been at his absolute best and his touch has not been at the same level as it was earlier on in the season. That said he is still crucial to our game as what he does do every single game is press, run and be a general nuisance to centre backs. No matter what he pushes them to their limits and forces them to resort to underhand tactics. Lukaku today seemed to be spend most of the game standing next to Lovren and failing to move or challenge for any ball. Costa on the other hand will drag defenders out of position, hold the ball up and take focus away from our other match winners. He is unorthodox so when he tries high risk dribbles it can look ugly when it fails but 76 goals in his last 115 games illustrates his high risks have high rewards.

Barkley is still terrible and if Everton ever really want to challenge the top 6 they should get rid in my opinion. He is a big unit of a player but yet never uses his strength in any way. Looks sluggish like he carries around too much bulk which is completely at odds with the shape you would want of a tricky number 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And today we saw the value of the "flat-track bully".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OfWolfAndBiggs said:

And today we saw the value of the "flat-track bully".

Well I only saw the Chelsea match, and the value of a flat track bully was sorely missed.
Not that I am taking sides here, but a goal hanger would have been useful at the Bridge.  Oh for Tammy Abraham to have come on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well I only saw the Chelsea match, and the value of a flat track bully was sorely missed.
Not that I am taking sides here, but a goal hanger would have been useful at the Bridge.  Oh for Tammy Abraham to have come on.

Yeah that was my point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OfWolfAndBiggs said:

Yeah that was my point. 

Good - thought it was.  I should have replied to the earlier post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen Aguero put city back in front against Arsenal, if he had been leading the line for us against palace he would got at least 3 goals.

IF he is allowed to leave city should we try and go for him or Sanchez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WHYSOSLOWYEH said:

Just seen Aguero put city back in front against Arsenal, if he had been leading the line for us against palace he would got at least 3 goals.

IF he is allowed to leave city should we try and go for him or Sanchez

Why not both ? Give ourselves a real chance in Europe and the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Why not both ? Give ourselves a real chance in Europe and the league.

Aww man. That would be a wet dream of a transfer window. (Apologies JaneB 😉)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2017 at 6:39 PM, samhoward17 said:

If anyone wanted an example of the worth of Diego Costa it was at Anfield today. Lukaku was completely invisible with no movement and barely broke a sweat. I do like him and think that in a team that plays to his strengths he could be lethal. I believe he is often miss-analysed as a Drogba type that holds the ball up but I think his game is much closer to a young Torres. He thrives in space where he can isolate defenders but can go absolutely missing when his team is out of possession. In our current set-up we play the ball very fast which I absolutely love and he would certainly get his fair share of goals on the break. Can we count on him to produce deft touches when opposition are camped in their box or hold the ball up away in the Champions League with little support? I have my doubts.

In recent weeks its been clear that Diego has not been at his absolute best and his touch has not been at the same level as it was earlier on in the season. That said he is still crucial to our game as what he does do every single game is press, run and be a general nuisance to centre backs. No matter what he pushes them to their limits and forces them to resort to underhand tactics. Lukaku today seemed to be spend most of the game standing next to Lovren and failing to move or challenge for any ball. Costa on the other hand will drag defenders out of position, hold the ball up and take focus away from our other match winners. He is unorthodox so when he tries high risk dribbles it can look ugly when it fails but 76 goals in his last 115 games illustrates his high risks have high rewards.

Barkley is still terrible and if Everton ever really want to challenge the top 6 they should get rid in my opinion. He is a big unit of a player but yet never uses his strength in any way. Looks sluggish like he carries around too much bulk which is completely at odds with the shape you would want of a tricky number 10.

Interesting post.

Yes, Romelu is lethal when he has space to run into, and he certainly isn't one to produce deft touches at the edge of the box., however, he's an excellent finisher so I do think he'd be an asset when we're trying to break down teams. His movement in the penalty box is good, he's always looking to find space, he's great in the air, and would always occupy a couple of defenders.

His major weakness, especially when it comes to Conte's demands, is his work rate. To be honest, we need a demon leading the line. Someone who sacrifices himself for the team. Someone, quite simply, who doesn't stop running. Romelu is not that player, and that's why I don't understand why Conte would want him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/03/2017 at 4:06 PM, paulw66 said:

Drogba not world class?

My God. 

The Defoe stat is meaningless as Sunderland have scored so few goals. 

Why is it meaningless? If Defoe scores 50 and Sunderland as a collective score 51 is that still meaningless? Rubbish of course.

So your criteria is that goal scoring is only a consideration if the player scores goals in a team that scores a lot of goals? 14 goals from 29 games is not a consideration because the team collectively has only scored 24? But Costa's 17 in 27 is considerable because...? Oh, the points his goals have meant in the games that he has scored in.

Had Defoe not have scored as many in a team that scores so few, then they would be relegated already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now