Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,361 posts in this topic

In fairness to Lukaku , at least he wants to play for Chelsea. Also , I think it's fair to say there is a dearth of quality strikers around , I've watched his last two games and he was poor in both but what options do we have? No goals Morata ?

5 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Did the manager give him instructions to consistently break down attacks with sloppy play?

Seems unlikely. 

This is not a new criticism of Lukaku that can be linked to Koeman. This has been a criticism of Lukaku for ages. 

Of course not. Then again, we've all witnessed Costa do exactly the same. Can't use it as a yard stick to beat one player, but dismiss another for the same thing. We're all aware Lukaku needs to improve his touch at times, along with his passing, no one has said otherwise I don't believe. Although, quality of service also plays a factor in this and that's something Lukaku hasn't had much of in the last few games. That's reality.

I'm aware it's not a new criticism, however it's plausible that different managers ask their forwards to play differently. Given the importance of Lukaku's goals for Everton, I wouldn't be surprised if he's asked to stay further forward rather than come back to defend. Which is different to what's considered 'work rate'. He does need to work harder off the ball, I agree. Although I can understand why he's not running around like a prime Tevez for example.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

In fairness to Lukaku , at least he wants to play for Chelsea. Also , I think it's fair to say there is a dearth of quality strikers around , I've watched his last two games and he was poor in both but what options do we have? No goals Morata ?

My first choice would be Aubameyang. Insanely quick, good athlete and a quality finisher. Will cost a bomb but if we're selling Costa, we'll have the money.

Apart from him, the other two options would be the youngsters tearing up Serie A in Icardi and Belotti. Haven't seen enough of either to make a judgment but they're very highly rated.

1 hour ago, zaffo said:

I'm aware it's not a new criticism, however it's plausible that different managers ask their forwards to play differently. Given the importance of Lukaku's goals for Everton, I wouldn't be surprised if he's asked to stay further forward rather than come back to defend. Which is different to what's considered 'work rate'. He does need to work harder off the ball, I agree. Although I can understand why he's not running around like a prime Tevez for example.

Lukaku's game is pretty obvious; he's not a terrier who's constantly snapping at heels and covering lots of ground and he never will be. What he does do are multiple high intensity sprints during a game. He conserves his energy in order to be be able to employ these sprints, often towards the end of games when there's more space.

Personally, if we're playing one up top, we need a worker, a terrier, a high energy forward, which Lukaku isn't. 

In fairness to Lukaku if I played in front of Ross Barkley I wouldn't bother running either. Everton had so many opportunities to break last night and I'm not sure he has ever lifted his head up. Perhaps there is only so many times you can be let down. 

2 hours ago, A Blue Essien said:

My first choice would be Aubameyang. Insanely quick, good athlete and a quality finisher. Will cost a bomb but if we're selling Costa, we'll have the money.

Apart from him, the other two options would be the youngsters tearing up Serie A in Icardi and Belotti. Haven't seen enough of either to make a judgment but they're very highly rated.

Aubameyang is great going forward, offers absolutely zero defensively and off the ball. Also isn't a great passer of the ball and therefore his link play really suffers. Not the sort of striker that's going to get others around him involved. 

Icardi is also known to be lazy and neglect the defensive side to his game. Belotti is the better option of the three, in terms of the qualities people seem to want in their CF on here based on what they like in Costa and what they slag Lukaku off for. Works hard, offers a defensive contribution, provides a needed aerial presence and adapt to playing as a lone CF/part of a three. Can be a little sloppy with the ball though and dispossessed more than what one would like to see. 

2 hours ago, A Blue Essien said:

Lukaku's game is pretty obvious; he's not a terrier who's constantly snapping at heels and covering lots of ground and he never will be. What he does do are multiple high intensity sprints during a game. He conserves his energy in order to be be able to employ these sprints, often towards the end of games when there's more space.

Personally, if we're playing one up top, we need a worker, a terrier, a high energy forward, which Lukaku isn't. 

Agree, he's not that type.

Depends I suppose if we go 352 or 343. Would also depend if Conte thinks he could help get this out of Lukaku too. Aguero offered absolutely nothing defensively and was lazy off the ball early in his Man City career and now he works a lot harder and contributes more. So, not completely impossible. There ain't a lot of high scoring CF's out there who really tick all the boxes. Any option is likely to have some sort of short fall in their game people will pin point and complain about in some capacity.

6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

.....but what options do we have? No goals Morata ?

Cannot see the fascination with him at all.

the doubts people have over Lukaku are 100% justified.

1. He would cost a fortune

2. For a fortune, you want a top, top player

3. Lukaku socres a lot of goals against poor teams, or when games are won 4 goals v Bournemouth being an example

4. the last two league games exposed his faults. He cannot hold the ball up properly. Compare his performance last night versus Benteke against us. Chalk and cheese

5. BT Sport showed clips of his best moments / goals - it is all running into space. Teams set up definitely against Everton than they do against us. I am not saying Lukaku cannot score goals for us, but there is a definite question mark, especially considering he will cost north of 50m 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

the doubts people have over Lukaku are 100% justified.

1. He would cost a fortune

2. For a fortune, you want a top, top player

3. Lukaku socres a lot of goals against poor teams, or when games are won 4 goals v Bournemouth being an example

4. the last two league games exposed his faults. He cannot hold the ball up properly. Compare his performance last night versus Benteke against us. Chalk and cheese

5. BT Sport showed clips of his best moments / goals - it is all running into space. Teams set up definitely against Everton than they do against us. I am not saying Lukaku cannot score goals for us, but there is a definite question mark, especially considering he will cost north of 50m 

4 against Sunderland, 2 vs Hull when game was already finished. No braces for Costa all season and he has scored in 16 different league games. Costa is considerably more consistent when it counts and always gives you an outlet even when he's off form.

Edited by samhoward17

^To be fair we have won 22 games this season, and Everton 14.   It is no surprise that Everton get their goals only in the games they dominate.

18 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Has anyone actually compared Lukaku to Costa in the sense you mean? Or, have some people suggested that IF COSTA LEAVES, they'd buy Lukaku? Before you (and others here) go blowing your top, I think that it's a fairly important distinction, don't you?

As far as tonight's game is concerned - yes, Lukaku was pretty damn ordinary. Anyone who watched it knows that. Worse than Costa's recent efforts? - well, I guess that's up to personal opinion. And we have all seen both players have games where they've destroyed the oppo.

If we are going to spend twice the money for Lukaku than we did for Costa they have to be compared.Not for their style of play but their contribution to improving the team.IMO Lukaku would be a waste of money.