Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,198 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Nope. Not to me, and dare I suggest, not to most. Whilst we certanly didn't have a lot of stand-outs against Man Utd, Costa was downright awful, and on occasion, inept, as indeed he has been for weeks now. 3 goals in 12 games only tells part of the story, even though its an important part. His peformance and body language in this one was worse - simply embarrassing - and he's not just 'a' striker, as he appears to be our only one considering that he gets selected irrespective of his form, or who else may be available to rest him. I'm pretty sure that most understand that (including you, of course).

He didn't even appear interested in making runs at times against United. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yet again we as a club have manoeuvred ourselves into a position where the opposition don't have to work out who will play and what formation the coach will employ , in fact , it used to be if you're fit you're in and now appears to be if you're halfway fit you're in.

Total mismanagement again , let's hope it doesn't bite us on the bum.

Can't really blame the coach this particular time re the status of our current squad. This is the blow back from years of mismanagement where we've either failed to strengthen properly or neglected to purchase suitable players for positions relevant to how we play. Now we're left with too many square pegs (or lack of quality) no matter what shape or system we go with, the options just aren't there overall to fill out the squad to a level where we can seamlessly interchange players without loss. 

Conte's cleared a few players out, will likely do so further in the summer. While we've aimed to bring in more specific types of players with their overall role in mind. The state of our squad has been in question for years, going to take a few summers to get it completely turned around. The positive is we've got a manager who has been in this exact position before and knows what's needed. The bigger concern is making sure he gets the backing to do all this.

36 minutes ago, zaffo said:

Can't really blame the coach this particular time re the status of our current squad. This is the blow back from years of mismanagement where we've either failed to strengthen properly or neglected to purchase suitable players for positions relevant to how we play. Now we're left with too many square pegs (or lack of quality) no matter what shape or system we go with, the options just aren't there overall to fill out the squad to a level where we can seamlessly interchange players without loss. 

Conte's cleared a few players out, will likely do so further in the summer. While we've aimed to bring in more specific types of players with their overall role in mind. The state of our squad has been in question for years, going to take a few summers to get it completely turned around. The positive is we've got a manager who has been in this exact position before and knows what's needed. The bigger concern is making sure he gets the backing to do all this.

I'm not blaming Conte for this whatsoever , I suppose the best you can say is providing the boards backs him in the next window , then fine , I just have a feeling they wont fully commit , like they never really did with Mourinho.

10 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:
On 4/17/2017 at 10:47 AM, Droy was my hero said:

A run of 10 games without a clean sheet is surely a lot more worrying than a striker that gets 3 goals in 12 games.

Nope. Not to me, and dare I suggest, not to most. 

Which suggest to me just how sloppy the judgement can be on here, and how easy it is to misattribute consensus opinions to a minority of posters.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Which suggest to me just how sloppy the judgement can be on here, and how easy it is to misattribute consensus opinions to a minority of posters.

Costa was dispossesd on Sunday more times in one game than any player in the premier League this season. The lack of effort and ability to play simple passes was pretty clear. It is a worry, as is the longest league run without a clean sheet for 20 years. 

^ Well certainly we have seen tougher runs for our strikers.  If this is a crisis it is a defensive crisis.

Before going on about Costa I think we should recognise that:

a)  Man U's plan again was to dispossess our front 2 as quick as possible - just as it was in the cup match.

b)  Not just our WBs and Matic withdrew into deep defence, but Pedro and to a large extent Hazard too dropped back.  Costa was on his own, with no one to pass to, and the quality of ball to him was very poor.

c) I think it is fair to say that Moses, Azpi, Zouma, Matic and Hazard had very poor games too (and others have gone for Cahill and Luiz too).

d) Matic was awful and gave the ball away when under little or no pressure a lot, and yet no one has picked on him - Costa seems to be disflavour of the month right now.

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

^ Well certainly we have seen tougher runs for our strikers.  If this is a crisis it is a defensive crisis.

Before going on about Costa I think we should recognise that:

a)  Man U's plan again was to dispossess our front 2 as quick as possible - just as it was in the cup match.

b)  Not just our WBs and Matic withdrew into deep defence, but Pedro and to a large extent Hazard too dropped back.  Costa was on his own, with no one to pass to, and the quality of ball to him was very poor.

c) I think it is fair to say that Moses, Azpi, Zouma, Matic and Hazard had very poor games too (and others have gone for Cahill and Luiz too).

d) Matic was awful and gave the ball away when under little or no pressure a lot, and yet no one has picked on him - Costa seems to be disflavour of the month right now.

The whole team played badly by their standards. Why single out one? 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

The whole team played badly by their standards. Why single out one? 

Was my point - well done.

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well, I'm sure that they have been crtical of his efforts, as indeed they have done with pretty much all the other players you mention. However, and as I keep pointing out every time you raise this supposed anomaly - here we were/have been discussing strikers, and what we'll do/need to do moving forward, and that's why Costa (and his performance/non-performance) is front and centre in the dicussion, and why Matic isn't. It's really not that difficult, is it?

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Was my point - well done.

Which you completely blew by then naming ONE player as having had a particularly bad game. 

Well done.