• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

14 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Also, as a defender, you don't always have to out-jump your man; just make it awkward for them to get their header on target.

What I like about Aké is his composure. For a "little" guy he also has a decent leap and, more importantly, good positional sense and a better than average reading of the game. All he really needs is more game time for us in our system.

Sorry, I think I am not making myself clear. I do not mind a CB being a smaller player, my problem is having a squad comprised of multiple small defenders which means it is likely that we will go into a number of games where we have three out of five defensive players under 6". Furthermore, I would do not actually mind them being under 6" as long as they are good at heading. However, Ake, Moses and Ake are not actually great in the air, hence I worry that this would make us an easy target in certain games.

paulw66   
3 hours ago, zaffo said:

Maybe, but I 100% guarantee it wouldn't be long before some on here piss and moan about how little said type of player contributes elsewhere. Not many strikers who do the majority of their work in the 6 yard box are known for being proficient around the pitch. Plus, it would also require some better execution in build up play to create chances. 

I lost count against Crystal Palace how many times the ball went across their 6 yard box only for nobody to tap it in. Tammy would be a great option IMO

Jasonb   
On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 4:18 PM, Conte Kante said:

Sorry, I think I am not making myself clear. I do not mind a CB being a smaller player, my problem is having a squad comprised of multiple small defenders which means it is likely that we will go into a number of games where we have three out of five defensive players under 6". Furthermore, I would do not actually mind them being under 6" as long as they are good at heading. However, Ake, Moses and Azpi are not actually great in the air, hence I worry that this would make us an easy target in certain games.

A little correction above as I think this is what you intended. I'm sure teams would try and capitalise, Spurs have had some success although I think that is down to Eriksen's ability I am not sure that many others can do that.  For corners as long as midfielders and forward players chip in then this can compensate. 

30 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

A little correction above as I think this is what you intended. I'm sure teams would try and capitalise, Spurs have had some success although I think that is down to Eriksen's ability I am not sure that many others can do that.  For corners as long as midfielders and forward players chip in then this can compensate. 

I agree.  If we have a problem it is that outside the defenders, only Drogba or Michy contribute to defending set pieces.  Mostly Matic does not man mark and when he does (as recently)  it can be calamitous as he is neither good in the air nor at sticking with his man.
Azpi on the other hand sticks to his man like glue.

I'd add that Alli's headed goals against us were all about getting away from the defenders, not about out jumping them, and that players can even get away from Azpi if they spot the man on the ball has time to pick out their run easily - so that they are just running into space, not waiting to see where the ball goes.  The latest goal was identical in all but using his feet not head.  (Liverpool and Arsenal have scored similar goals - the issue is 90% about players close to our box with time to look up and pass/cross to a running target.)

On the whole I am not unhappy.  3 of our defenders are very good in the air, including Cahill who is a mobile giant - and I can remember many years when Ashley Cole was the fourth defender of 4.  The time to start worrying about our right sided defence is when fantastic crosses from our right are being put on our LHS.

• Like 1

xCELERYx   

Have heard a few things regarding the possibility that Kyle Walker could leave Tottenham at the end of the season after a bit of a falling out, as he was dropped for both the FA Cup Semi and Arsenal fixtures, two of Spurs biggest games of late. 

Thoughts on possibly going in for him?

Ham   
35 minutes ago, zaffo said:

Have heard a few things regarding the possibility that Kyle Walker could leave Tottenham at the end of the season after a bit of a falling out, as he was dropped for both the FA Cup Semi and Arsenal fixtures, two of Spurs biggest games of late. 

Rumour is his head has been turned by City. 

1 hour ago, zaffo said:

Have to admit that I detest the man, and can't see what all the fuss is about (if there really is any). Distinctly ordinary, imo, and perfect for Spurs - he should stay there. If however, he's on the move soon, then City seems like an ideal destination..........:).

5 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Have to admit that I detest the man, and can't see what all the fuss is about (if there really is any). Distinctly ordinary, imo, and perfect for Spurs - he should stay there. If however, he's on the move soon, then City seems like an ideal destination..........:).

Really?  Detest the man by all means, I can see that.  But he really does seem to be a complete WB.  Rugged like a CB, defensively very sound, but with pace, ambition and a great cross going forward.  Yes perfect for City.  Perfect for us too.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Really?  Detest the man by all means, I can see that.  But he really does seem to be a complete WB.  Rugged like a CB, defensively very sound, but with pace, ambition and a great cross going forward.  Yes perfect for City.  Perfect for us too.

Yeah Walker would be a good fit as he has the qualities you describe and he is also HG. The problem I think is his position and how he is similar to Moses. This is because I think the money we have will be more directed to an athletic LWB in order to provide us with different options to Alonso. At RWB I think we will go for an experienced player who is more defensive than Moses as that will give Conte more options. Obviously this is my opinion and a guess.

Word is that Poch is favouring Trippier because of two things, Firstly Walker has had his head turned by City financially  and secondly , although not as quick as Walker , Trippier can actually cross the ball .

IMHO Walker has the speed of a greyhound and the footballing ability of a greyhound.