• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Jasonb   

I agree that Walker would be a good squad addition and perhaps first choice over Moses yet let's remember we would be dealing with Levy who would want to make a point over Walker to deter other payers moving. Avoid this move, let City or whoever pay over the odds. 

Sciatika   

Quote from something I read recently (not sure where): "Walker runs like a greyhound and crosses like a greyhound".

42 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Quote from something I read recently (not sure where): "Walker runs like a greyhound and crosses like a greyhound".

It was Mark Kelly... last post of the previous page in this thread! ;-)

Sciatika   

<doh> Been reading too many boards lately. I thought that was funny. I have just read on twitter: "Where's the compliment in calling these players goats? Surely something like a lion would be more complimentary"

paulw66   
On 5/2/2017 at 10:30 AM, Jasonb said:

I agree that Walker would be a good squad addition and perhaps first choice over Moses yet let's remember we would be dealing with Levy who would want to make a point over Walker to deter other payers moving. Avoid this move, let City or whoever pay over the odds. 

Good squad addition that would cost 50m. Bonkers. 

19 hours ago, jones said:

Walker is a thug, and not Chelsea at all. Stay away.

Correct. 

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

He is a good player, he just isn't great player. for the money he would cost, he is a massive "no" for me. 

Well... How about Morata for £60m? 

Its crazy. A striker that doesn't score cost you £60m? What would a good striker cost? £100m? If we ever sell Costa we'd be mad to sell for anything below £100m. 

ripz   

Bakayoko totally anonymous tonight v Juve, really can't see anything that he offers, looks like another Matic. Bernardo Silva we've been linked with as well, looks like a Man City / Ozil type player, weak mentally and disappears in the big games, both are a no for me. The only player that stood out was Mbappe and he's 18, looks the real deal.

Juve v Monaco is a classic example of why we'll win the league and City wont and why we beat them twice this season. They look to have a lot of quality but fail in the big games.

I'd punt Costa to China and Bats for whatever we can get and buy Mbappe and Belotti. 

Hazard/Belotti/Mbappe/Pedro/Fab/Willian would be amazing but Conte seems to love Morata.

Edited by ripz

jones   

I am not convinced Costa will leave. Ha has Jorge Mendes as his agent, and that guy will spread any rumour he wants to suit his agenda. And to be fair, there has been no comments from club, manager or player to suggest he wants to go to China. Mendes' primary agenda is of course to sell his players on big wages to get as high commission as possible. But his main interest is to please the player, in which case an improved contract may very well be his target. He may be persuasive, but he needs Costa to want to go. And I am not sure that is the case.

The only reason to want to go to China, is money. Costa can still make a lot of money at Chelsea, and I think all this China talk may very well be Mendes' strategy to push Chelsea to maximise the contract offer. If you make 250k a week, maybe it is worth losing 100k a week to be able to play football with your friends, for fans who adore you, and under a manager that is building a competitive side capable of dominating the biggest tournaments in Europe? There are certainly enough of players who thinks exactly that, so why not Costa?

1 hour ago, jones said:

I am not convinced Costa will leave. Ha has Jorge Mendes as his agent, and that guy will spread any rumour he wants to suit his agenda. And to be fair, there has been no comments from club, manager or player to suggest he wants to go to China. Mendes' primary agenda is of course to sell his players on big wages to get as high commission as possible. But his main interest is to please the player, in which case an improved contract may very well be his target. He may be persuasive, but he needs Costa to want to go. And I am not sure that is the case.

The only reason to want to go to China, is money. Costa can still make a lot of money at Chelsea, and I think all this China talk may very well be Mendes' strategy to push Chelsea to maximise the contract offer. If you make 250k a week, maybe it is worth losing 100k a week to be able to play football with your friends, for fans who adore you, and under a manager that is building a competitive side capable of dominating the biggest tournaments in Europe? There are certainly enough of players who thinks exactly that, so why not Costa?

My personal feeling, and I may be very wrong on this, is that money is more important than trophies to some players, and Costa falls into that group.

Trophies are only important in so far as they may trigger bonus clauses. Costa is from a very poor family from one of the poorest parts of Brazil. He is not just responsible for his wife and kids, parents, etc., but for a very wide number of family members. He has swapped nationalities. He has himself admitted to trying to leave last summer. He says he loves Chelsea but doesn't like London. His only loyalty is to himself and his extended family. If he can get a better deal elsewhere, he'll want to go there. The idea of players wanting to look back on successful careers made up of 70 or more international caps and trophies galore is very much an Anglo-Saxon "Protestant work ethic" trait. That he loves winning and scoring goals is not up for question. However, they are the means to the ends; and the ends are the biggest pay packet he can get. Let's not forget, he's 29 now... it's his last chance for a really big pay-day, if one is on offer.