• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

19 hours ago, zaffo said:

Unlikely he'll return to Italy. He spoke some time ago about how his plans as a manager involve new experiences. He played his whole career in Italy and then followed that up with his spell at Juventus. Now he's got the ability to try new things, the EPL was one of those. He's about projects and has always left his previous jobs to progress further. Chelsea is a good project for him. We've reached an end of a cycle here and now we're ready for something new. Conte's made some changes already to put the wheels in motion with the likes of Terry's stint coming to an end, Ivanovic, Mikel and Oscar being moved on etc. Conte has both the experience and ability to usher in a new identity here. The biggest part will be making sure he's both backed in the market and allowed to sign the players he wants that will integrate into his system. 

I agree with this to a large extent. I think the only real problem is his family and if they do not come over this summer and/or do not settle. Additionally, club politics will play a part as we do not know if the club will give him the autonomy he wants in the market or not. 

I think that some people are forgetting/igoring the simple fact that Conte has a contract. One assumes, a 'binding' contract, that he signed barely 12 month's ago. He's about to win the Premier League and (possibly) the FA Cup in his first season in charge.  Barring something truly extraordinary, he's not going anywhere soon, is he? People need to calm down.

jones   

Yeah, I would put very little into the rumours. Might very well be initiated by his agent or his people. First of all, he is about to sign a new contract. Second, he is talking a lot about signing new players that fit his idea of football. There already seems to be a bit of tension between him and Emenalo. Which one would expect given their different jobs.

What Conte can argue is that all of his three signings (Luiz, Kante, Alonso) have proven massive hits, and that Emenalo's signing (Batshuayi) is a perfect example of how a great player can be wasted if he does not suit the current manager's football. I wouldn't blame Emenalo for this though. At the time we bought Michy, there were a lot of tension around Costa, we saw the signs of an extremely inflated market (Morata and Lukaku had insane price tags) and Conte was experimenting with 4-2-4. 

The point is that Conte for sure has a list of players or player types he will demand signed in the summer. Emenalo will have the same. Both of them will be doing what they can to convince Roman on which strategy to go for, but hopefully it will be Conte that gets his way with the big budget. And Emenalo should continue spending smaller amounts on loan army players - where he has a very decent track record.

The fact that Conte actually quit his beloved Juventus when the board did not back him in the transfer window can only do him good in this little saga.

Edited by jones

⬆  Just my opinion, but I think both Kanté and Batshuayi were "club signings" that would have been made irrespective of who the manager was. I'm also interested in this notion you have that "...there already seems to be a bit of tension between him [Conte] and Emenalo." I can't say I've seen anything on the touchline that would suggest that that was the case, nor have I read anything about ructions between them anywhere... care to elucidate, or is it just in your imagination based on a pre-existing bias?

I don't think there's a stretch to assume that Emenalo has one PoV on players we should acquire and Conte the same. 

Personally I think that there's a potential clash between the Manager and the Technical Director in the current set-up we have. One would have to question why the Technical Director should sign any players for the first team to begin with. It's nonsensical if you ask me. That it happens at Chelsea is beyond doubt - we all know that as a matter of fact. 

With the results Conte has produced this season (even if we end up losing the FA Cup) has given him the right to pick his players without interference. Now maybe those players he wants aren't obtainable and we will have to make do with his second or even third choice. But Conte should be the one who draws up that list imo. 

Sea foot   

We have just won (potentially) two league titles in three years with roughly the same squad. Seems to me that our player acquisition ain't been too shabby whoever is behind it.

jones   
4 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I don't think there's a stretch to assume that Emenalo has one PoV on players we should acquire and Conte the same. 

Personally I think that there's a potential clash between the Manager and the Technical Director in the current set-up we have. One would have to question why the Technical Director should sign any players for the first team to begin with. It's nonsensical if you ask me. That it happens at Chelsea is beyond doubt - we all know that as a matter of fact. 

With the results Conte has produced this season (even if we end up losing the FA Cup) has given him the right to pick his players without interference. Now maybe those players he wants aren't obtainable and we will have to make do with his second or even third choice. But Conte should be the one who draws up that list imo. 

Yes, agree with this. The manager has a short term time horizon, and the Technical Director has a long term. Conte is judged upon the results he gets tomorrow, and wants to prioritise spending on ready players. Emenalo is (probably) judged on what long term profit he makes from the loan army (and youth team?) set-up. That they have conflict of interest is apparent. But it does not mean they cannot agree upon transfers, and as you say Bob, Kanté may very well be a signing that was blessed by both parties. But it is clear as ice that in no way did Conte ask for Batshuayi.

We know how hard it is being a manager at Chelsea. If you fail just a little, you are fired. You can therefore argue that giving the man with the long term perspective, Emenalo, slightly more control over transfers last summer, was a good idea. Conte could have been fired in November, and by investing long term we reduce risk. Abramovich is a business man, and he wants to hedge his bets.

But now, when we have a manager that can prove to be building something sustainable and successful, the entire first team budget should be given to him with no veto from Emenalo. The TD should continue spending on the rather successful loan army strategy, but in no way must that hamper the influence Conte has on transfers. 

Edited by jones

jones   
4 hours ago, Sea foot said:

We have just won (potentially) two league titles in three years with roughly the same squad. Seems to me that our player acquisition ain't been too shabby whoever is behind it.

This is a valid point. But of the players that Emenalo and Mourinho bought in the last four years, only Willian, Matic, Fabregas, Pedro and Costa have made significant contributions to one or two league titles. From my memory, they cost around 150mp in total.

In the same period, we have spent big on players like Salah, Cuadrado, Schurrle, Filipe Luis, Remy, Kenedy, Batshuayi, Rahman, van Ginkel. Appx 150mp spent here too. While we have and will recoup a lot of the money spent on these players, neither have been very influential in our league titles. Then you can say that only half of what we spend on first team players result in significant successes. With the risk associated with any transfer, I don't know if that is good or bad. But at least it shows that this is not as black and white as some make it out to be.

(In addition we have Zouma who has played a bit part role in the two title bids, so I am excluding him from the comparison.)

Edited by jones

paulw66   
5 minutes ago, jones said:

This is a valid point. But of the players that Emenalo and Mourinho bought in the last four years, only Willian, Matic, Fabregas, Pedro and Costa have made significant contributions to one or two league titles. From my memory, they cost around 150mp in total.

In the same period, we have spent big on players like Salah, Cuadrado, Schurrle, Filipe Luis, Remy, Kenedy, Batshuayi, Rahman, van Ginkel. Appx 150mp spent here too. While we have and will recoup a lot of the money spent on these players, neither have been very influential in our league titles. Then you can say that only half of what we spend on first team players result in significant successes. With the risk associated with any transfer, I don't know if that is good or bad. But at least it shows that this is not as black and white as some make it out to be.

(In addition we have Zouma who has played a bit part role in the two title bids, so I am excluding him from the comparison.)

Forgot Alonso

And Luiz. 

Edited by paulw66

22 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Forgot Alonso

And Luiz. 

And you both forgot Kante!!!! How can anyone forget Kante?!?!

However to be fair to Jones he did say the players Emelano and Jose bought, not sure why but that is maybe why he left them out.