• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

xCELERYx   
13 minutes ago, Nicholas Anelka said:

This is exactly what United fans were saying when he was leaving Barca. 

No mate I never watch Juventus especially not in the CL. It's easy to post he's only started 14 games but leave out the fact he suffered a broken leg this year. 

Daniel Alves in the CL

10 games played

30 chances created
22 successful crosses
21 tackles won
4 assists
3 goals

Think Moses would struggle to hit those numbers over the full season. 

He's a seasoned pro the type we used to sign for fun.

Since 2006 he's played in 14 European Cup finals. 

I'm not saying go out and spend £30m on him but he's hardly gonna cost more than £5m. Him and Moses rotating for a season is perfect. 

Again, he's 34. I'm not arguing that he's still a good player. He is, and he's been a excellent addition for Juventus. However, one has to remember the stark difference in football style Serie A and the CL is to the EPL, The speed in which the EPL is played at isn't forgiving, particularly for someone who has never experienced it before.

There's no way we play a transfer fee for a player we're only going to offer a one-year deal to. We'd be better off either spending on someone younger who's going to develop into to the role and side for years to come. Or better still, just utilise Azpi out at WB and invest in another quality CB. Moses and Azpi is more than enough.

Edited by zaffo

On 5/15/2017 at 11:22 AM, Nicholas Anelka said:

I'd like to see Daniel Alves come in still the best in the world in his position and a born winner. Would be class in the CL. 

Original post. 

Would be class in CL. 

12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

1. We wouldnt get him for £5m. He would cost 3 times that minimum

2. You quote his stats in the CL..... all well and good, but a 34 year old moving into the PL is what we are talking about

3. How many 34 year old seasoned pros have we signed in the last 15 years? I can only think of when we re signed DD 

Edit - getting Cuadrado back makes far more sense. 

1. I know transfer fees have gone silly but not in this world or the next does 34 going on 35 Daniel Alves go for £15m.

2. See original post above.

3. I was more referring to the signings of players like Belletti, Deco, Ballack etc

9 minutes ago, zaffo said:

Again, he's 34. I'm not arguing that he's still a good player. He is, and he's been a excellent addition for Juventus. However, one has to remember the stark difference in football style Serie A and the CL is to the EPL, The speed in which the EPL is played at isn't forgiving, particularly for someone who has never experienced it before.

There's no way we play a transfer fee for a player we're only going to offer a one-year deal to. We'd be better off either spending on someone younger who's going to develop into to the role and side for years to come. Or better still, just utilise Azpi out at WB and invest in another quality CB. Moses and Azpi is more than enough.

Again think you've misconstrued my original post I said class in CL. Also this myth about the speed of the PL is a joke. Which opposition player do you see him coming up against and struggling with really?

The other name brought up so far in this thread has been Oxlade Chamberlain which is ridiculous and laughable. 

Moses has been good this year but will get destroyed in the CL. Azpilicueta is much better playing in the centre of defence than as a WB. 

I would like us to buy a young WB who can develop and be in the side for years to come but think the money would be better spent elsewhere. 

paulw66   
3 minutes ago, Nicholas Anelka said:

3. I was more referring to the signings of players like Belletti, Deco, Ballack etc

31,30 and 29 - age when signing. 

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Nicholas Anelka said:

Yeah?

Hardly spring chickens are they......

Almost as if they are seasoned pro's 

On average 4 years younger than Alves. Not insignificant, especially at their ages

Ballack was a free transfer, while the other two were surplus to requirements and were cheap.

I dont suppose Alves is surplus to requirements at Juve, so would cost a silly amount for a 34 year old.  

ripz   

Considering the massive squad rebuilding and possible huge expenditure, if Conte wanted a squad player RWB I'd offer a 1yr contract to Zabaleta, for a free transfer I think he'd be a good squad filler.

Edited by ripz

xCELERYx   
8 hours ago, Nicholas Anelka said:

Again think you've misconstrued my original post I said class in CL. Also this myth about the speed of the PL is a joke. Which opposition player do you see him coming up against and struggling with really?

The other name brought up so far in this thread has been Oxlade Chamberlain which is ridiculous and laughable. 

Moses has been good this year but will get destroyed in the CL. Azpilicueta is much better playing in the centre of defence than as a WB. 

I would like us to buy a young WB who can develop and be in the side for years to come but think the money would be better spent elsewhere. 

I haven't missed your point. All of the points raised thus far still more or less apply to the argument, other than the speed of the game in the CL being less demanding than the EPL. Alves isn't the greatest defender either, he's made his name as an attacking fullback. At his age, the pace in which the EPL is played at, and natural player decline, it isn't a recipe for success. 

Not to mention you don't just sign a player to play CL fixtures. If Moses was to go down injured for a period of time and Alves had to play regular EPL minutes I'd be concerned. This is coming from someone who has watched him weekly since he arrived at Juventus. Great player, one I've enjoyed since his Seville days, but he's not someone we should be targeting. 

Moses will be destroyed in the CL? Based on what exactly? He's more than held his own this season in a completely new position. No reason why he cannot become even better and succeed further now he's adapted to the role. Until he plays CL games no one has a clue how he's going to perform yet. As for Azpi, difference of opinion. He's a fullback by trade. He's done well out of position this year as a CB. He's also been good when he's played WB. Again, no reason why Moses and himself cannot be a success in the role going forward as our main WB options. 

How many young RWB options are realistically out there? It's a niche position and not one a young player grows up playing with any regular occurrence. Most of the players that end up in the position are either attacking fullbacks who've been moved up when such a system comes into place, or they're a converted wide midfielder/winger.  

IMO we're better off just utilising what we have in both Moses and Azpi for the RWB position, for now. Sign someone who can complement Alonso on the left - which is the more pressing of the WB positions, as we have no viable alternative whatsoever. 

'Born winner", or not, it's a pointless argument really because we're not going to sign Alves, are we? No. And it's that simple and obvious.

16 minutes ago, zaffo said:

How many young RWB options are realistically out there? It's a niche position and not one a young player grows up playing with any regular occurrence

Only converted wingers, and traditional FBs who can also play CB to apply.

chara   

In some ways I wish we had held on to PC  and signed Pickford this off season...I said early in the season that I thought he looked good...... to sign him now would be a drag on his career as TC is first choice (without real competition)..Would be similar to the Stepney/Bonetti situation for those who can remember back that far..shame really as I think he would be a great signing.

For all the talk of Alves etc I always enjoy watching Marcelo..no way of getting him but would work here I think.

As an aside anyone think that Alonso has a running/playing style similar to Eddie Mac? (again for those whi may remember)