Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,339 posts in this topic

I am not convinced that TC will stay Chelsea on a long term..Although he has had a good season after the disaster that was the last season for most players. Thought  he lost confidence and hoped he would return to form which to a large extent he has but "something" seems to be missing.Subtle stuff maybe but he,for me, doesn't seem to have regained the momentum of his early career A young English keeper like Pickford would be a better long term choice but if TC moved on the question of a backup keeper would still face the same problem..one good enough to fill in and prepared to sit on the bench. Any player not playing regularly suffers from "rustiness" but for a keeper it is even harder..no way can a keeper "play" his way into a game.

For all the "progress" of the youth system I am at a loss to recall any long term keeper from the academy since the Cat and I think that was 1960 when he first played in the first team!!!

Maybe , injuring his ankle playing Basketball during the dying weeks of a close fought campaign, making us rely on bang average Begovic has not pleased Conte ? 

It would not surprise me in the least.

Personally I think Tibo will sign a new contract and stay here for a while. The reason I say this is because: 

1) He and his long term girlfriend who lived in Madrid have broken up.

2) Real appear to want De Gea

3) He appears to get on with Conte 

4) He got rid of the goalkeeping coach he did not get on with

Obviously, this is just speculation on my part but I personally think he will stay.

As for this summer, I am starting to think we may actually switch Dave to RWB and buy another CB. I say this as him and Moses provide a good dynamic in providing offensive/defensive options and RWB is a difficult position to fill. This would then allow us to have another CB with height and good ball playing skills - Van Djik say. As for midfield I would take Veratti over Bakayoko any day of the week as I fill that Veratti is the surprior player and Bakayoko will struggling with the deamnds of the PL as he disappears in game way too often. 

3 hours ago, chara said:

For all the "progress" of the youth system I am at a loss to recall any long term keeper from the academy since the Cat and I think that was 1960 when he first played in the first team!!!

Though to be fair Steve Sherwood was more than good enough to play for us, and a lot better than some of our 1980s keepers.  For a brief while in fact he was flying high in the top division with Watford while we slumbered in the second.
He suffered in being just 12 years younger than Bonetti.

But not much since the 70s I agree, though to be fair there hasn't been much in any position since the Wilkins generation apart from JT.

I'd rather have Verratti, Vidal or Nainggolan than Bakayoko, really hoping we don't go for him.

1 hour ago, ripz said:

I'd rather have Verratti, Vidal or Nainggolan than Bakayoko, really hoping we don't go for him.

Bakayoko is much younger than Vidal and Nainggolan so the comparison is a little unfair. Veratti on the other hand is a much different player to Bakayoko for me.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, ripz said:

I have to agree with this. As whilst he is young and has a number of features to his game, the frrquency he disappears from a game is very concerning. For me, like you, if he is £40m+ we should be targetting different players.

Edited by Conte Kante

Bakayoko, to me anyway, looks like he could become an absolute monster. 

Everyone on here seems to say he goes missing in games  but I'd genuinely like to ask how many games anyone has actually seen? He may not be the finished article but he has ALL the attributes to be a top, top level cm and I can see exactly why we would want him. 

We're not gonna sign Veratti or Vidal or Nainggolan so I'd live to know who people would see as a genuine, attainable alternative?

People who don't watch Chelsea regularly could quite easily say the same about Hazard.

Another question I'd like to ask is how many 22 year old cm's are playing reguarly in Europe's top leagues, let alone for one of the top 4 teams in Europe in the past 12 months?