Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

42,351 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

If Conte thought he was good enough, they'd have got a contract sorted.

He's effectively going to the same situation at Liverpool that he's in now, Klopp has said he's putting him in his U23s apparently, so it is a bit of strange one. Money? Doesn't think he's good enough to make it here? Doesn't think he'll get a chance to make it here? Who knows

The old idea of taking on some kids out of school, and then having a more or less low risk free bet if they come right is over.

The days when 18 year olds can just break into the team are over.  We once had an 18 year old so good we made him captain.  Now he'd be lucky to get a dozen sub appearances in.
And the days when 18 year olds just accepted YTS (Youth Training Scheme) wages of 100 quid a week or so are over - teh good ones all expect wages of 5k a week or more.
So someone like RLC may have had 5 years of earning from 5k up to 50k (who knows, 65k was reported a while ago) over a 5 year period before they break into the team.  That might meant between 1 million and 7 million spent on wages alone.

When you get an 18 yo kid on 10k a week demanding 50k to extend his contract, then deciding to offer him that (or not) is a very high risk decision.  The club can err on a large scale either way.

IMO we got RLC wrong.  IMO we are getting Solanke right - but these are just guesses.  So far we have not let anyone go cheaply that I would personally regret (though some might disagree on Matic or Bertrand).  But certainly we have kept for far too long certain players like Josh or Piazon.

Mahrez has said he wants to leave Leicester, but would he be an upgrade on Pedro?

12 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

The old idea of taking on some kids out of school, and then having a more or less low risk free bet if they come right is over.

The days when 18 year olds can just break into the team are over.  We once had an 18 year old so good we made him captain.  Now he'd be lucky to get a dozen sub appearances in.
And the days when 18 year olds just accepted YTS (Youth Training Scheme) wages of 100 quid a week or so are over - teh good ones all expect wages of 5k a week or more.
So someone like RLC may have had 5 years of earning from 5k up to 50k (who knows, 65k was reported a while ago) over a 5 year period before they break into the team.  That might meant between 1 million and 7 million spent on wages alone.

When you get an 18 yo kid on 10k a week demanding 50k to extend his contract, then deciding to offer him that (or not) is a very high risk decision.  The club can err on a large scale either way.

IMO we got RLC wrong.  IMO we are getting Solanke right - but these are just guesses.  So far we have not let anyone go cheaply that I would personally regret (though some might disagree on Matic or Bertrand).  But certainly we have kept for far too long certain players like Josh or Piazon.

Some good points. 

I hope (!) you're wrong on RLC (looking increasingly unlikely...). In general I believe that we would need to take a punt on some of the these guys. You are right about the Piazons and McEachrans. But some we have let go of too easily. Bertrand is one. Matic another (let's not go there again, let's just agree to disagree). 

In general we do get most of those right. But some of them has shown immense promise but never been given a go. I'd love for Abraham, Baker, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek, Christensen, Ake, Aina, Musonda and Palmer to be given a chance to be part of the squad. With four competitions and (hopefully) 22 proper outfield options ahead of them, there's enough games for all of them to get 3-8 starts across the season with a few sub appearances as well. Slowly integrate them. Who knows, some of them may rise to the occasion? But sadly it doesn't seem to work like that here. And I do get why. 

But what sort of annoys be a bit, is the Atsu type signings we've made. Players who quite clearly aren't ever going to make it here. Those signings we could do without. 

2 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

Mahrez has said he wants to leave Leicester, but would he be an upgrade on Pedro?

I'd take Mahrez while keeping Pedro and Willian. 

Must have someone signed then.

18 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Not sure. Beg has gone to Bourmouth.

23 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

English qualified keeper, happy to be Number 2?  Who could it be?  Joe Hart?

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

But what sort of annoys be a bit, is the Atsu type signings we've made. Players who quite clearly aren't ever going to make it here. Those signings we could do without. 

I think we have various pipelines for players and various purposes.
We have the English kids and the 16 year olds brought in (Christensen, Bertrand, Jay Dasilva), who are brought in with the intention of hopefully making it to the first team.
And then the 20-22 yos who already have 50+ starts brought in with the expectation that they will be first team squad members from the start.  That includes Hazard and Courtois, and also Lukaku mkI and Marin and Salah.  They are generally v expensive, been scouted by everyone else, but also quite often worth it.

But in between we have the 20 year olds who clearly aren't ready for the first team squad.  I think they are bought purely on a trading basis.  Not that we will ever make much out of them.  In a sense they don't matter much - if RA wants to fritter his money away that way, who are we to complain.  It is getting the Zoumas and Hazards and Rahmans right that matters.

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I'd take Mahrez while keeping Pedro and Willian. 

Me too , it's strength in depth we need not one in one out.