• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

goldmase   

is Alex Sandro coming? it's going to be my dream signing!! For Lukaku case, give him a chance, If we pay 80M, that's mean our club rate him highly Basically Coming is

- Bakayako

- Alex Sandro

- Lukaku

xCELERYx   
38 minutes ago, jones said:

The Alex Sandro rumours are gathering pace. WAGNH seems to think it is all a "trying to get a better contract-hoax", but on the other hand I expect us to pursue exactly the kind of player like Alex Sandro. He is one of the best left wing-backs in the world, and he is defensively schooled in Italy. Don't think 52mp is going to scare us off either. Will Sandro want the move? Juventus have been on fire for the last few years, but they also have an ageing side and the way Conte has positioned Chelsea after this season I expect us to be able to lure basically any player not playing for Real, Barca and Bayern (or the other top English teams).

Edit. Link: http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2017/6/11/15777014/chelsea-ready-to-meet-juventus-60m-asking-price-for-alex-sandro-reports

Speaking from a Juventus stand point the move makes absolutely no sense. Firstly, he's Juve's primary LWB and has been excellent since he arrived from Porto, besides his initial settling period. Secondly, Juventus also line up in a system that requires quality at WB, selling Alex Sandro would weaken the side. Thirdly, the only other LWB option had in the squad is Asamoah, who is more of a midfield utility player than a natural WB (think Ramires playing fullback sort of deal). Fourthly, any sale would require going out and finding another first team LWB of genuine quality - there aren't many around.

Even with a potential €60m offer the incentive to sell from a Juventus stand point lacks. 

18 minutes ago, zaffo said:

And who do you realistically recommend, Dave? I am genuinely curious about this. 

I know people like to nit pick, we've all seen it on here before. When Lukaku's been mentioned in the past there's always been the gripes about his first touch, his lack of work off the ball, etc. Now it's his mettle and mental strength. Just how many perfect strikers are out there? Costa sure as hell wasn't one of them himself. 

I mean you'd probably be hard pressed to find many better records tbh during that same period. Yeah, he has his weak points, but there's also enough aspects of his game to warrant the interest we seemingly appear to have. For me, there isn't a huge downgrade at this point. If Costa was more consistent, I'd have agreed, but he wasn't. 

At the end of the day I think it's fair to say that Lukaku is a proven Premier League goalscorer and that's the most important thing. I genuinely feel that Conte is a "coach's coach" who improves players. I personally would be delighted to have Lukaku back; no player is perfect and I think on reflection he'll become mentally stronger as he understands Conte's ethos more. He's also young and a Chelsea fan, but most importantly wants to prove he can do it at the highest level and I would guess too that he really wants to make it at Chelsea. 

16 minutes ago, zaffo said:

Speaking from a Juventus stand point the move makes absolutely no sense. Firstly, he's Juve's primary LWB and has been excellent since he arrived from Porto, besides his initial settling period. Secondly, Juventus also line up in a system that requires quality at WB, selling Alex Sandro would weaken the side. Thirdly, the only other LWB option had in the squad is Asamoah, who is more of a midfield utility player than a natural WB (think Ramires playing fullback sort of deal). Fourthly, any sale would require going out and finding another first team LWB of genuine quality - there aren't many around.

Even with a potential €60m offer the incentive to sell from a Juventus stand point lacks. 

Yes.  And fifthly (or slightly overlapping your reasons) Juve are one of the very few European clubs that can match us for money (certainly the only Italian club that comes close).
And sixthly we seem to have failed in buying Bonucci, why we succeed here?

jones   
24 minutes ago, zaffo said:

Fair point. Just relating it to the rumours, which may or may not be true. But even though the obvious incentive is lacking, money is always talking. Alex Sandro's agent will be pushing for a better deal for his client, either at Juventus or somewhere else. I guess Sandro would expect to at least double his wages, from roughly 50k/week to 100-120k/week. If it is true that we are willing to spend 50mp+ on him, then we for sure are willing to give him a contract like that. Juventus' top earners are Higuain at 130k/week and Pjanic at 95k/week (according to various sources). Bonucci, their star defender, is on 60k/week. Are Juventus willing to give Sandro 100k/week+? How would such a contract affect their salary policy and squad harmony?

Selling Sandro for 50-60mp will give them the opportunity to buy a new top class left back as well as addressing one or two other areas of the squad. They will need to strengthen in order to keep going. And they did brilliantly last season in spending the money for Pogba on quality players like Pjanic and Higuain that for sure was an overall improvement. They might want to do that again. 

Edited by jones

57 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

GDS and Daily Mail reporting we are now favourites for James Rodriguez for £70 million.

Interesting...

God no thanks! A real fair-weather player in my view totally over-rated. 

chelboy   

If James Rodriguez arrives I think he would be part  of the CM as well as the 2 behind the striker. He will play more in the CM role I think. Good squad player too, he would give us something from deep positions with his long range passing which would make us less dependent on Cesc from those areas. I am hoping he is an addition and not a replacement for Cesc because that would be another downgrade.  I'm hoping the CM positions would be James ,Bakayoko Kante and Cesc. That would a very well balanced midfield. 

4 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Michael, you keep on mentioning that Lukaku's record is more impressive because he's done it at Everton. I simply do not get the relevance. 

For me, it doesn't matter which team he's done it in. What matters is how he'll fit in here where it matters.

On that note, I feel more comfortable having him here based on style under Conte. We are constantly looking to play to his strengths and give him acres of space to run into. What would worry me slightly is that we may risk becoming even more one-dimensional than what we were last season unless we buy another striker that has other strengths compared to Lukaku.

But for me, there's a huge question mark surrounding his mental strength and general mettle. All things considered, a downgrade if we sell Costa and buy Lukaku. 

That may prove to be true, but on the other hand he's almost bound to be more reliable and less of an unpredictable loose cannon on and off the field.

chelboy   
4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Are you confident that there are no other clubs out there that might bid big for him too?
I really doubt he will still be available in January.

I can not see that many clubs bidding 80M or so for him. Most will bid 60M and if that gets rejected they would walk away.  Everton will lower their price if they have not sold him by early August or even mid-July which is when we should come in. The only club willing to bid very high is united but I can not see him going there. He really wants to come here.