• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

paulw66   
4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes.  And fifthly (or slightly overlapping your reasons) Juve are one of the very few European clubs that can match us for money (certainly the only Italian club that comes close)

Not that it has anything to do with Sandro but both Milan clubs have recently been taken over and are petty wealthy 

GURJ SS   
4 hours ago, James Prescott said:

GDS and Daily Mail reporting we are now favourites for James Rodriguez for £70 million.

Interesting...

Great player, but is only able to play at his highest level when a team plays around him, like a number 10 who has players making runs and his primary job is to pick them out of take advantage of the space they make for him. He'd do extremely well in a team that doesn't have another 1-2 main players.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Not that it has anything to do with Sandro but both Milan clubs have recently been taken over and are petty wealthy 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Football_Money_League#2015.E2.80.9316

Revenues   Euro mn 2015/16
1st Man U  689
8th Chelsea    447
10th Juve       341
16th AC Milan  215
19th Inter        179

For context, West Ham are in 18th place.
I know they have new owners, but so do a lot of clubs.  You many know better than I do, but is there any evidence yet that a) they are willing to throw PSG/Man City money at the club, that b) they have dodgy vehicles through which they can  throw hundreds of millions of fake money into the clubs, and c) that there is a chance that UEFA will turn a blind eye to it all once again.

Edited by Droy was my hero

12 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Michael, you keep on mentioning that Lukaku's record is more impressive because he's done it at Everton. I simply do not get the relevance. 

More impressive given the quality and consistency of the players around him, and feeding him. The quality of the manager helps too. The question surely is, if he can deliver those stats at a mid-table (mediocre) club like Everton, what could he deliver feeding off the back of the likes of Pedro, Hazard, Fabregas, etc.?  And with Conte pulling his strings? Write him off all you like, Dave, but personally, I think that that's a reasonable question.

kev61   
4 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

More impressive given the quality and consistency of the players around him, and feeding him. The quality of the manager helps too. The question surely is, if he can deliver those stats at a mid-table (mediocre) club like Everton, what could he deliver feeding off the back of the likes of Pedro, Hazard, Fabregas, etc.?  And with Conte pulling his strings? Write him off all you like, Dave, but personally, I think that that's a reasonable question.

The thing is Michael there is a league within a league within a league in the premiership.How has he looked against the top teams in the premiership and his stats?.A genuine question.

27 minutes ago, kev61 said:

The thing is Michael there is a league within a league within a league in the premiership.How has he looked against the top teams in the premiership and his stats?.A genuine question.

Lets face it Everton go into a shell against any top team and hope for a 0-0.  Essentially Lukaku has had a 26 game season not a 38 game one.  And still scored a lot.
I'm not convinced by what I have seen of the player, I was mostly unimpressed with how fat he was when with us - for a Professional football he was gross, far worse than anything Costa was.  But the goals stats for Everton do impress.

3 hours ago, kev61 said:

How has he looked against the top teams in the premiership and his stats?.A genuine question.

So here's a genuine answer:

This season Lukaku - scored against  Man City both home and away; Spurs away, and Arsenal away. 

Last season he scored against Liverpool home; Man City home, and Chelsea home (twice).

So that's 8 goals over 2 seasons against all the top sides, except Man Utd. Now personally, I don't find that anything to complain too hard about! It's certainly nothing to beat him over the head with, is it? And it's better than Costa's record against those same sides, over the same two seasons (6 goals ).

As for your Vardy comment, I doubt that Conte shares your enthusiasm - I know that I don't.

12 hours ago, chelsea_matt said:

At the end of the day I think it's fair to say that Lukaku is a proven Premier League goalscorer and that's the most important thing. I genuinely feel that Conte is a "coach's coach" who improves players. I personally would be delighted to have Lukaku back; no player is perfect and I think on reflection he'll become mentally stronger as he understands Conte's ethos more. He's also young and a Chelsea fan, but most importantly wants to prove he can do it at the highest level and I would guess too that he really wants to make it at Chelsea. 

This. 

The only question for me, is how much we end up paying for him.

xCELERYx   

Glossed over Lukaku vs Costa league stats for this season;

Lukaku: 36(1) games, 25 goals, 6 assists, 3 shots per game, 1.3 key passes, 1.7 dribbles, 0.9 fouled, 1 offside, 2.4 dispossessed, 2.1 bad control per game.
Costa: 35 games, 20 goals, 7 assists, 3.2 shots per game, 1.2 key passes, 1.6 dribbles, 2.6 fouled, 0.7 offside, 3.4 dispossessed, 3.1 bad control per game.

From an offensive stand point it's a pretty even matter across the board. Biggest standout aspects would the frequency in which both strikers are either dispossessed or fail to control the ball, Costa being worse in both field. 

The defensive aspect of the game is where Costa has a slight edge; 0.3 more tackles, 0.2 more interceptions, 0.4 more clearances, and commits 0.3 more fouls per game. Which isn't a surprise given Costa is asked to do more defensive duties than Lukaku given the difference in systems they feature in.

The one big area where Lukaku needs to improve is in his passing. He's 65.5% across the season, Costa 75.2%. Given Lukaku tends to be more isolated at Everton with his team mates tending to be in deeper midfield positions. I'd imagine with more support this would increase as reflected with his International rating of 74.3% and his previous seasons of around the 73% mark. Costa still holds about a 3-4% advantage across his previous seasons here. 

Lukaku is also far more dominant in the air. 3.7 aerial battles won this season per game, Costa 1.3. 

Overall it's a fairly even affair when broken down a bit further. The biggest question mark will be if Lukaku can transfer the levels across to an environment which is tougher and demands even more.