Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

35,680 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Rob B said:

This story was first run by Duncan Castles, Jose's fanboy who stops at nothing to try and take a swipe at us.

Not sure he is a Mournho fan boy.  But the only thing keeping him in a job as a 2nd rate stringer is that he speaks Portuguese and can always be relied upon to create a spectacular off the record source whenever an editor is running short of ideas.  It is not that he has sources, only that editors demand stories from him, and he delivers.

The reports are saying the club won't pay for Lukaku, and that this is the main issue. Which to me seems absurd, given they knew Costa was on the way out and needed replacing, as far back as Christmas. And if you want a top striker, you've got to pay big money to get him. 

I am convinced Conte wants Lukaku, but Emanalo is clearly a fan too, Lukaku wants Chelsea - and thee's hardly any cheaper options of the same quality. Plus, we've got a big wad of money to spend.

I just don't get why we wouldn't spend that money on a player we need. If it's true, then we might as well give up, because to get top players you have to spend big money, not skinflint around.

In 2003, we simply blew people away by offering big money up front and deals got done quickly, without any time to plan ahead. If we offered £85-90 million for Lukaku now - which we can afford even without Roman - we'd get him. 

If it is true, why are we so unwilling to spend money and back a manager? It's not like Costa is staying, or there's a quality replacement any cheaper. Makes no sense whatsoever - but the sources have been reliable in the past. 

That said, the Mirror and Standard are saying that Chelsea are dismissing the reports and saying Conte will stay and they are backing him.

Who knows what the truth is - I just hope it's all BS and we end up announcing Lukaku and a few other players in the next few weeks, especially once the Nike deal kicks in.

One telling thing might be that Conte still hasn't signed that new deal. Indeed, Courtois and Hazard haven't either. Are they waiting on the club to prove their ambition? 

My biggest fear is a repeat of 2 years ago - and no one wants that. 

So you have Conte who wants Lukaku, Lukaku who wants to come back to Chelsea, yet we have fans don't want us to pay £70/80m for him or don't even want him back and the board doesn't want to pay £70/80m for him...

Yep - sounds about right for us.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I respectfully disagree the risk is zero all three will leave.

Costa is a given.

If Real makes a £100+ offer for Hazard it's out of our hands. 

Fabregas may look to play more and if a good team comes along we'll have a hard time convincing him to stay. 

It may be unlikely, but zero risk it isn't. 

Technically speaking the club would still need to accept the offer to begin with for Hazard to officially move. 

Fabregas is more likely to leave because there are more factors against him. He's no longer a regular, he'll be 31 come the end of next season, and his contract runs until 2019. Based on the clubs policy for over 30's he'd have to wait until the end of his current deal before a potential one year extension. He's also the type of player that probably won't age well in English football due to mobility and leg speed, not unless a side is based around him to cover these declining aspects. Dare say he'll end up either back in Spain or maybe Italy where the pace is slower and wind down his career there. Particularly if he wants to play regularly.

37 minutes ago, Dingus said:

So you have Conte who wants Lukaku, Lukaku who wants to come back to Chelsea, yet we have fans don't want us to pay £70/80m for him or don't even want him back and the board doesn't want to pay £70/80m for him...

Yep - sounds about right for us.

Not to get ahead of the whole Conte leaving situation. But I'd like to think the club did their research BEFORE Conte joined to know he's not someone who is going to stick around if he's not given the control he wants to shape his squad. After all, he left Juventus for this exact reason. 

If there's one manager I'd confidently let have free reign with our whole recruiting structure and transfers, it's Conte.

Just now, zaffo said:

Not to get ahead of the whole Conte leaving situation. But I'd like to think the club did their research BEFORE Conte joined to know he's not someone who is going to stick around if he's not given the control he wants to shape his squad. After all, he left Juventus for this exact reason. 

If there's one manager I'd confidently let have free reign with our whole recruiting structure and transfers, it's Conte.

He might have been given assurances to that initially, but when Everton are supposedly quoting prices of (if being realistic) £70/80m to buy back Lukaku and the board are by all accounts unwilling to pay the money that's been asked by Everton, then I can see where issues would arise.

Now some will see that as a good thing because they don't want Lukaku back, some will feel that the money can be better spent on another striker (although I don't see too many PL ready strikers available on the market at present), and others have the belief that because we've been stung by big money striker purchases before, we shouldn't be spending that sort of money.

9 hours ago, Rob B said:

Jesus some of our fans are so spoilt!  It's the same on Twitter.  People calling for Emenalo to go etc.  We are the PL champions, the undisputed best team in the country, it doesn't get much better.

This story was first run by Duncan Castles, Jose's fanboy who stops at nothing to try and take a swipe at us.

Transfer window has been open barely a week and people are hysterical.  Let's break some of the facts down logically - Conte has just been on holiday, I'm not sure if we even know if he's back?

We haven't 'lost' any of our heavily rumoured targets - E.g. Bakayako, Lukaku

Everton have spent more money today than any other transfer window combined in their history. I would say that's a fairly big indication they have a windfall incoming 

Conte has gone on record to say we'll make reinforcements due to the CL, and we also have a huge amount of money from TV, Player Sales, PL win etc. There's genuinely nothing to suggest we won't have a healthy transfer window. 

The likes of Man City and Man United HAVE to go out and get deals done early  and pay whatever it takes because they're both coming off of disastrous PL campaigns

We are shortly changing from Adidas to Nike - so completely possible we are holding off any official announcements for a few weeks.

Great post. 

8 hours ago, zaffo said:

Quick and tricky winger/forward, can play right across all front positions, but prefers the right hand side so he can drift inside on his left to shoot. Creates a lot of goal scoring opportunities, so picks up assists and goals. Works hard on top of it all. Also noted for his set pieces and penalty taking ability. Been highly rated for awhile, he was co-owned by Juve and had been linked with a permanent move however it didn't materialise and he was used in the deal to bring Zaza over back in like 2014. Nerds to curb his temper and avoid needless cards, but otherwise a fairly talented player. Should note he also missed a chunk of this season due to a knee injury. But still managed a fairly productive return. 

Seems an interesting option but I'm reluctant to believe much coming out of Italy because of the obvious Conte connection.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not sure he is a Mournho fan boy.  But the only thing keeping him in a job as a 2nd rate stringer is that he speaks Portuguese and can always be relied upon to create a spectacular off the record source whenever an editor is running short of ideas.  It is not that he has sources, only that editors demand stories from him, and he delivers.

He's the very definition of a fan boy. It's utterly embarrassing.

14 minutes ago, zaffo said:

Technically speaking the club would still need to accept the offer to begin with for Hazard to officially move. 

Fabregas is more likely to leave because there are more factors against him. He's no longer a regular, he'll be 31 come the end of next season, and his contract runs until 2019. Based on the clubs policy for over 30's he'd have to wait until the end of his current deal before a potential one year extension. He's also the type of player that probably won't age well in English football due to mobility and leg speed, not unless a side is based around him to cover these declining aspects. Dare say he'll end up either back in Spain or maybe Italy where the pace is slower and wind down his career there. Particularly if he wants to play regularly.

IMO, Fabregas is the least likely to leave. He's continuously stated how happy and settled he is in London. He has a big family, lots of kids, and a long history in the city. With CL this season, he's probably going to play more so I don't see him being put on the market and I certainly don't see him angling for a move. 

7 hours ago, kev61 said:

Reading between the lines, IMO Ambramovich has got his man and will back him in every way.It makes sense.He has a manager that has over achieved with Mourhino's under achievers,a no brainer for me.

I see it this way also. I think RA likes Costa a lot; aggression, passion, a personality - but I also think that Conte has this in buckets and is actually liked by a whole lot more than JM ever was. Humility is wonderfully shown at all times by Conte. 

But I completely agree, Conte will have a lot of money made available to him this close season. 

So many on here are assuming that no announcements or even gossip (ugh) means the club are taking no action. When will they (James) learn? Chill the f**k out - we were only crowned English champions a matter of weeks ago, you'd have thought we'd been relegated by some of the doom written on here.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

So many on here are assuming that no announcements or even gossip (ugh) means the club are taking no action. When will they (James) learn? Chill the f**k out - we were only crowned English champions a matter of weeks ago, you'd have thought we'd been relegated by some of the doom written on here.

People are only merely concerned with how we reacted during the window after we won the league in 14/15 and don't want a repeat of it this summer. And watching other teams make their moves will only heighten peoples anxiety about the board and their willingness to sanction big money moves to strengthen the squad.

To be honest we probably wont get most of our targets until late pre season or even after. We are not the type to pay the asking fee straight away and we will always negoiate it down to the last penny.  I am only expecting 1 transfer to be made before July and that is probably  Cabalero maybe Bakyako too but I think that would be slightly after the start of July.

The Lukaku saga will drag onto August I think. Thats why I think its best to make another striker our priority and get a better value striker for now. Everton will not lower the asking fee until August so we are wasting our time negotiating with them for now. Lukaku does not want to go anywhere else but here and wont play for them again so really we have the upper hand we just have to approach them later in the market when they get desperate to sell. No club will pay £80M for Lukaku and Everton know that. They are just testing there luck. I hope we do not fall for it.