Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

39,082 posts in this topic

Shame. He's an upgrade on Alonso IMO.

39 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Marotta confirms Juventus received and rejected a €60m offer for Alex Sandro from Chelsea

No surprise really. Although there is some talk the Alex Sandro is going to put in a transfer request.

Juventus general manager Giuseppe Marotta confirms they rejected “a very big offer” from Chelsea for Alex Sandro.

The Blues have been linked with the Brazilian full-back, who scored three goals and provided five assists this season as the Bianconeri reached the Champions League final.

“Chelsea made a very big offer for Alex Sandro,” Marotta admitted, speaking to Corriere della Sera.

“We said no, but today players are masters of their own destiny.”

Weird for us to contemplate spending that kind of cash in a position where the current incumbent had a stellar season. 

Especially since he was only bought last season.

One has to wonder whether we have any plan with our signings at all. If we buy Sando for a £60m fee we'd have spent well over £100m on left backs alone over the last three seasons... Weird is only beginning to cover it. 

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Weird for us to contemplate spending that kind of cash in a position where the current incumbent had a stellar season. 

One has to wonder whether we have any plan with our signings at all. If we buy Sando for a £60m fee we'd have spent well over £100m on left backs alone over the last three seasons... Weird is only beginning to cover it. 

I'd love to have seen a young Ashley Cole play LWB in this team.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Can/could Alonso  play as one of the back 3?

Edited by Martin1905

14 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Did you actually read the article; or at least the part dealing with shirt sales?

I don't care what RM may or may not have claimed regarding Ronaldo merchandise, given the club tend to lie about most things. Just do the maths for yourself... or maybe read this post regarding Pogba to Man U

http://mufclatest.com/can-paul-pogbas-shirt-sales-pay-for-his-transfer-no-heres-why/

If you can't be bothered reading it all, here's the most salient paragraph:

To recoup the money spent for Pogba’s transfer fee from shirt sales, United would, of course, need to sell £89 million worth of Pogba shirts. But United’s figures don’t even come close to that. According to the club’s 2015 annual report, United made just £31.652.000 on “retail, merchandising, apparel & products licensing revenue”, which United would need to nearly triple just on Pogba shirts. Not likely.

The same applies to Ronaldo, be it at RM or any other club.

Look at the up-front payment as an advance on shirt sales, much in the same way an author gets an advance from a publisher. A club doesn't get £x million a season from a kit manufacturer and keep 100% of shirt sales.

This debunking of the shirt sales myth has been made time and again over the years by both myself and others and still you continue claiming we can spend some huge amount on whichever "marquee signing" happens to be on your radar because his shirt sales will pay for the transfer.

OK, forget the freaking argument 'we can make it back on shirt sales'. Forget it completely. I don't "continue claiming". I said it in one post. That's it. Yet you set the dogs on me like I'm some criminal. 

If we spend a huge amount on a marquee signing, it improves our chances of success on the pitch. And success on the pitch brings in more income. £150 million in prize money and PL money last season proves that. Winning the CL is probably just as lucrative. 

Honestly, it was a small argument - and clearly, from the evidence, not accurate. Fine. I accept that. 

But doesn't mean we shouldn't sign world class players - Ronaldo is up there with the best in the world right now, without any doubt whatsoever, and without doubt would improve us, and maybe help us win the CL, and although it wouldn't pay the fee, there's no doubt it would increase our income from shirt sales and merchandising.

Personally though, I want good players for the sake of having good players, not for their financial benefits.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Sandro is probably the best in that position in world football, a better full on LB, and we have no other players in that position. We need another LWB. When Alonso went off against United we had no one good enough in that position, Sandro gives us strength in depth all top sides need and have - being able to rotate with Alonso, and in terms of formation.

Alonso had a great season but I have my doubts about him being a truly world class WB, and he's our only player who can play that position - definitely need another player there. 

Apparently Sandro is going to put in a transfer request as he wants to come here. Hope so, would be an excellent signing. Definitely a major upgrade on Alonso.

Buying a CB means Dave can go to RWB full time, so effectively gives us a new signing there. It's totally strategic and necessary. 

Edited by James Prescott

I wish we would go for Martial. He seems like the occasional good players that Jose likes to sideline for not very good reasons. Very clinical finisher with good ability on the ball. His first season wasn't a coincidence.

2 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Sandro is probably the best in that position in world football, a better full on LB, and we have no other players in that position. We need another LWB. When Alonso went off against United we had no one good enough in that position, Sandro gives us strength in depth all top sides need and have - being able to rotate with Alonso, and in terms of formation.

Alonso had a great season but I have my doubts about him being a truly world class WB, and he's our only player who can play that position - definitely need another player there. 

Apparently Sandro is going to put in a transfer request as he wants to come here. Hope so, would be an excellent signing. Definitely a major upgrade on Alonso.

Buying a CB means Dave can go to RWB full time, so effectively gives us a new signing there. It's totally strategic and necessary. 

I also agree we need to buy a LWB or at least a LB than can play LWB.

Alonso was one of the star performers for us last season but in one or two matches he rode his luck defensively. He was out on his feet and liable to get a red. Against certain teams his pace is going to be a factor and for me Pedro is not a replacement left back.

It is one area I think it would be worth to invest in as we have little cover and need an upgrade.

The other is a central midfielder which we may already have covered and refreshing or adding to our striker options.

Another creative midfielder would be nice yet I see the other roles as more important.